Here I go again

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by draperg1, Jan 14, 2017.

1. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    Update - was having some clearance issues with boss monkey in chair. Was scraping more often than I liked coming out of driveways etc. Also scraped once on a hard left hander on a banked roadway. The first thing I did was to bump up the preload on the chair which made the ride height much better. This of course caused me to have to readjust the lean out and tow in. Went on a ride this past weekend for about 200mi and am happy to report problem solved!
    Bobmws likes this.
  2. Ridn3

Ridn3 Lopsidd

Oddometer:
    Changing out the front tire today. I just a little over 13k miles and it is about 1mm above the wear bar. I'll try adding a photo. Replacing with the same Battleax.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J320R4 using Tapatalk
    draperg1, davebig and Bobmws like this.
  3. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    Impressive milage IMO. What year is your bike?
  4. Ridn3

Ridn3 Lopsidd

Oddometer:
    04. Yes, this is more miles then I generally got when it was a 2 wheel bike.
    draperg1 and Bobmws like this.
  5. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    I have an interesting update to my auxiliary fuel system. I have a 2.2 gal tank mounted in a tour pack on rear. It is plumbed into the return line of the FI system with a check valve and a gravity fed fuel pump mounted under the tank in the space once occupied by the charcoal canister. I have this wired to a toggle switch to turn on when main tank reaches reserve to effect transfer. (same system I use on my R11 rig) Well.......I seem not to need the fuel pump! By the time I reach reserve the auxiliary tank is empty. This occurs at about 280mi and at 38mpg I have well over 300mi range! The bikes FI system is pulling the gas through the auxiliary fuel pump and check valve. Oh well, not gonna remove fuel pump but will enjoy the unexpected result.:clap WIN_20170114_084847.JPG
    Bobmws likes this.
  6. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, is it possible the check valve was installed backwards? Or defective?
  7. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    If installed backwards would not let gas pass through at all. I had 2 in my parts box and this was the one with the strongest spring. If not working at all it would pressurize the auxiliary tank. I really think the FI system is stronger pressure on the LT than my R. It is pulling from both stock tank and auxiliary at same time as the gas gage shows reduction from fill up, although slower initially. One explanation may be that I teed into return at a 90 degree bend of the fuel hose and the line from the auxiliary to the stock fuel line is the straighter path.:hmmmmm
    Bobmws likes this.
  8. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm . Gravity it's the law,not just a good idea ! :hmmmmm
    BJMoose likes this.
  9. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me - I like the way it works!:-)
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Careful there you guys, you seem to forget how often gravity kills!
  11. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    Yea, it ain't the fall ..... it's the sudden stop! :muutt
    Bobmws likes this.
  12. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    Went on a 5 hour road trip this weekend (each way) the fuel did not transfer without use of fuel pump. Only seems to transfer automatically around town in stop and go usage. The mystery continues.:confused
  13. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonder if acceleration creates a stronger vacuum than highway cruising, sucking the fuel from the aux tank?
    draperg1 likes this.
  14. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    The fuel pump runs at a constant rate. Local riding means less of the fuel is being combusted, more is being returned, potentially creating more vacuum in the return line pulling/siphoning fuel from the cell.
    draperg1 and CCjon like this.
  15. davebig

Oddometer:
    Bob has spoken and Bob knows about moving liquids around ! Would venting the box be helpful ?

More fuel capacity offers shopping options ! We're mostly older men, our prostrates dictate when we stop ! :lol3

[​IMG]
    Big Blue Damn I miss it ! Had a 6 gallon tank in the sidecar from ezs, it had a hatch and had the BMW FI pump in it.
    It filled from the main tank via 1.5" line it was easy to air lock the lower tank if one ran the gas station pump real fast, it would unlock itself but then you where a couple gallons short of a full tank.
    [​IMG]
    Supply, return, fill, vent electrics and brake line ! WTF was I thinking when I sold it !
    Justin loved it would sleep on seat while cruising, plus he could hide in the nose !
    Bobmws, Ridn3 and rg sw wa. like this.
  16. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    DB, pics again not showing, but I get the gist of what you're saying. If you gravity feed the K, just install a bulkhead fitting through the bottom of the tank. When I researched putting the cell on mine there were a few folks who made it work plumbed into the return line like Bill, but more who had to use a pump when plumbed that way. Shut off valve by my ankle, easy to reach.
    KISS principle rules!
    In addition I use a disconnect with check valves on both sides so I can transfer to someone else or drain either tank. Carry another mating end with a short hose attached.
    fuelcell 003.JPG
    FR700 likes this.
  17. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    I use that system as well and carry a rolled up hose to transfer to others. All of the above ideas sound plausible to me. Either way works for me I get fuel and with both tanks I get about 310mi of range. I can tell whether it is transferring by how fast the fuel gage drops.
    Bobmws likes this.
  18. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    Update - The Boss Monkey spoke and said she wanted a sunroof with solar screen on her top as she does not like to remove the sidecar top due to sun/skin issues. As we found out on the R11 rig it does provide much better air flow during the warm/hot weather while providing much more shade. Now that I am progressing through my surgery rehab I am back in the shop working. Been riding a little around town as a way of additional shoulder therapy :evil That's my story and I'm sticking to it! IMG_20171119_162801697.jpg
    Bobmws likes this.
  19. davebig

Oddometer:
    I'd try some sort of rear facing scoop or set of louvers to get some eductor effect of pulling air out and of course you need a vent in the bottom to pull the air from.
  20. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear

Oddometer:
    All of the Hannigans I've seen have a vent in the lower sidewall as this one does, it also has a blower fan in the dash and side windows. The air moves through very well!
    Bobmws likes this.