Hero? Legend? Fool?

Discussion in 'Racing' started by JMo (& piglet), Oct 4, 2009.

1. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Not tuned for the conditions maybe?
  2. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    The BMW 450's in rally trim have had a pretty good reliability record elsewhere IIRC. So it may be specific to the environmental conditions you guys had, or perhaps the specific rallye kit he used (WRT to airflow), or some other mod (or lack thereof)?
  3. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I think he said it was not enough oil capacity and/or something in the oil pump area that failed...

It's true the G450 has been pretty reliable elsewhere (which was his reason for choosing one I imagine), but I think the combination of distance and heat ultimately didn't do it any favours...

Other 450's included CRF450X's, and a pair of WR450F's - with 2-trac fitted halfway though... all finished, although the two CRFs did elect to take a day off in Mauritania... there were also a number of KTM 450/525s which seems to handle the conditions well, although the KTM quad had trouble towards the end, and the pair of CRF450R engined quads from Poland were being rebuild every night, including engine swaps - and although both finished, one was towed to the end!

xxx
  4. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    Hello Jenny, do you think you could post a couple of photos like the ones above, but with all the instruments, e-track etc mounted during the race?
    I've just began working on my old AT... so I need ideas:confused
    Many thanks!
  5. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Sure Gian -

This was the set-up before I left:
    [​IMG]

The GPSII+ is mounted up next to the IMO on a custom bracket, attached to the back of the TT roadbook holder in the same manner as the original TT single IMO bracket - there is also a toggle 'master' switch to cut the power to the IMO and Roadbook, should there be a problem (like the roadbook remote control/motor jamming on for example)...

The bracket fixed to the top of the bar clamps is to hold the E-track unit supplied by the organisation. The E-track unit itself sits in the spung metal clips and is secured by a couple of rubber straps (which they didn't send as part of my €200 'kit' that includes the GPS and Iridium aerials for the E-track), which they 'lend' you as part of the E-track rental price...

Here is the gear in action in Morocco:
    [​IMG]

Having the GPS up high, closer to line of sight makes it easier to read the compass bearing which I often found very useful, especially in the dunes... a lot of people use a RAM mount connected to the bars to hold their GPS which is a good (and cost effective) alternative, but they can work loose over rough ground, and it means you have to take your eyes off the trail more... You can also just see the corner of the E-track device in that photo - the organisation also wrapped them in a clear plastic bag to prevent them getting soaked and dusty during the event...

Here is the set up with the MD roadbook holder which I swapped to halfway through the event (if you've not bought one yet, buy this one... the TT doesn't last over a long rally - I've had two now, and both have jammed gearboxes - the MD uses rollers and rubber belts - is silent and works much more smoothly!):

[​IMG]

The E-track unit is far smaller than an Irritrack, but basically does the same job although doesn't have two-way voice communication... You don't have to mount the E-track above the bars, but it is an obvious place to protect it (there is a hefty deposit forfeit if you return it damaged) - some people mounted them on fork legs, or inside fairing panels...

Hope that helps!

Jenny xx
  6. stteve

stteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jenny,

What did you think of the switch-block to to control the roadbook and IMO? I have a similar set-up like you (TT roadbook works for me, but i have no plans to do Africa), but i still am looking for a switchblock that allows me to use the original light/horn stuff.
    Did you find it easy to use, or would you rather go for something smaller,? Would you prefer an ICO tripmeter instead of the IMO 100r50?

Thanks

Steve
  7. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve -

I really like the Touratech Rally-5 switch, which is the main reason I went for their IMO and Roadbook combo... some people say the switch buttons can clog in sand, but having done two rallys (the Tuareg on the XR, the Heroes' on the Tenere) with it now and dropped it loads of time in sand, I can say it seems to work well - I also have ridden through hundreds of miles of torrential rain with it, again, no problems...

I'd also say it is the neatest of all the switches, as it is only about 20mm wide, which means you can use it with the standard left hand switchgear as I did with both my bikes... I know you can mount their three button remote on a mirror stalk for example, but why would you?

I also think the IMO100R50 (the new version I have) is a very good unit - the ICO's I've seen only have one display, whereas the IMO will display both total and partial distance together (in the same format as the roadbook instructions)... you can also flip screens to a speedo/odometer/clock display, which is handy for liaison and general riding?

If you already have the powered TT roadbook holder, then I would say go for the Rally 5 and the small (R50) IMO - they all work well together...

Of course if you use MD's roadbook holder, then you need a reverse polarity switch to power the single motor in forward or reverse, and the Touratech switch won't do that, so you either need to use MDs toggle and the regular three button Rally switch for the IMO, or get a third-party combined controller designed to work the MD roadbook and various IMO/ICOs - in fact there is a guy on here making a very nice unit that should work with the IMO/MD combo - it's quite pricy, but very nicely made by all accounts - I must say I'm tempted myself!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508058

xxx
  8. stteve

stteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jen! I already have a TT roadbook and a IMO 100R50, but both the 3 button unit for the IMO as the very nice Griesser unit for both the roadbook and the IMO are too wide, so i can't use the OEM switches anymore. I think this is the unit i need.
  9. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    many thanks Jenny for the useful photos and tips, only thing I can't see on your bike are the e-track/iritrack like antennas you can usually see mounted on the front fender
    http://xoomer.virgilio.it/cmigliaz/pagine/images/005.JPG
    or on the top of the fairing
    http://xoomer.virgilio.it/cmigliaz/pagine/images/014.JPG

thanks again!
  10. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
  11. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    You're right Jenny.., thanks! I suspected but the photo wasn't big enough form my eyes:D
  12. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi JMo,

How did the steering damper tower hold up?

I have just got my damper back from service by Scotts and am now ready to put it on my Tenere. I will be using it with the arm facing forwards like yours and am now thinking about the weld on tower. I was intending to weld the tower on the headlight sub-frame like yours is but Scotts advised against it and suggested that I weld a bracket directly to the headstock tube as per this photo they sent me.

[​IMG]

I thought that if your bracket on the sub-frame help up to the Rally OK I would do the same as it would be easier to weld then directly to the bikes frame.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    You think right my friend.. it held up perfectly, including a couple of really big crashes in the sand!

I don't know how long the arm is on your Scott's damper, but with my GPR, the tower lines up perfectly with the curved edge in the plate on the top of the fairing support bracket:

[​IMG]

Works a treat, and that whole bracket assembly is dead strong...

xxx
  14. BajasWorld

BajasWorld Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks JMo, that's good enough for me! Sub-frame mount it is :thumb
  16. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    A few more pictures from Rallymaniacs.nl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xxx
  17. rohirim

rohirim rohirim

Oddometer:
    Excellent work with your bike.i like it.!!!
    Are you thinking to change(upgrade) anything after the race?
    What about more power?
    Do you think that the 42hp where enough for the race?
    Congratullations again.
    (sorry for my bad enghlish):clap
  18. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Rohirim!

Glad you like the bike!

Everything worked incredibly well during the rally, so there is nothing that I would change particularly, other than to slightly redesign the navigation equipment bracket in the cockpit - but that is because I am now using an MD roadbook holder, and am likely to replace my GPSII+ with a slightly newer model, as the II+ only has limited route memory which wasn't enough for Heroes - I had to put a lot of information in manually which was a pin in the arse as you might imagine...

I also intend to add a rear fuel tank on the opposite side to the exhaust (together with a matching side panel to cover the exhaust silancer) as there were a couple of times when I was right on the limit of fuel range - mainly my fault as I couldn't help but ride it hard some days!

Regarding the power - my bike has no engine mods, other than an open airbox lid, DNA filter and single (non-cat) exhaust pipe, plus a Power Commander fitted to correct the fueling...

It was dyno'd at 43.54bhp at the rear wheel, that's with a brand new Michelin Desert tyre fitted... had I been using a 17 inch street tyre, that figure would have been closer to 49bhp, and in turn, offer a crank bhp reading in the low to mid 50's which I would say is ample for desert riding? Certainly the bike had more power (and torque) than a Michelin Desert can transmit in the dirt/sand, I never felt it was underpowered at all...

Of course I'm never going to be racing against the top level guys, and I doubt anyone on this bike is going to be? - what this bike/engine offers is a very strong and reliable package using the stock engine tune. That said, it is relatively straightforward to get more power from this engine - I know the quad guys in the US regularly talk about 75bhp with a new cam/valves etc. and there is always the option of a bigger bore piston too.

Perhaps if my engine starts to feel tired (it has already done over 51,000kms now), then I might look at tuning it a little, but as a rally bike, I like the way it is set up now - if you ride it back to back with a standard Tenere you'd certainly be impressed at the transformation the suspension and engine modifications have made!

J xxx
  19. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    have you maybe changed the rear wheel with a 18"? As far as I know 17" Desert are no more available...
    Ciao!
    Gian
  20. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Yes, the rear is an 18" rim, with Talon cush-drive hub, heavy duty (9 gauge) spokes and a Braking Wave disc...

If you take a look at the first page of this thread there is more information about the changes I made to the bike, plus a lot more information and photos over on XT660.com...

Also, if you are able to get the December issue of TBM magazine (published in the UK), there is a feature about the bike build in there too...

xxx