Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I am going to order an EZcan. Any reason to think that I can't use the two light channels for heated gear? I looked at the software and the light channels can be set to 100% for both low beam and high beam and all the special functions can be disabled. I assume if I did this I could set the output to 10 amps and use the outputs for heated gear (using a heatroller).

This got me thinking whether the dimmer function uses PWM or just simply lowers the voltage. It is uses PWM I might be able to power a heated jacket without a heatroller using the Wonderwheel.

Last question is whether anyone knows if the USB power would be able to charge a phone or if it's just for programming only?
  2. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ordered one last night. Ted said he received 100 and has sold about half of them so far.

I'll answer the questions I had once I get it installed. Looking forward to playing around with it.
  3. genka

genka SUV hater

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure that teh dimmer is PWM. The USB interface is an "input", you can't charge from it.
  4. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I received my EZcan and I am happy to report that the running light circuit can be used as a heated gear controller. It uses PWM and has ten settings from full voltage to off. You use the wonderwheel to raise or lower the temp (must hold it to the left for three seconds to activate scrolling feature; scrolling times out after 10 seconds). This circuit can also be turned on or off holding the turn signal cancel button for three seconds. When you turn the bike on it remembers your last setting. If the channel was off when you turned off the bike it can only be turned on again next time you cycle the ignition by using the wonderwheel (I'm guessing has to do with being a light channel and not blinding people with your Darlas if they were full off when you turned off the ignition).

EDIT: Played around with and all four daytime/nightime and high and low beam sliders need to be on 100%. Otherwise you heated gear setting will change when day becomes night, you use the high beams and vice versa. Once I did this the channel defaults to on when I turn on the ignition. This is the way I want it.

I exchanged a couple email with Stephan and Zool at Hex. They said if there is enough demand for something they would put it on the list to consider for software upgrades. Stephan's reply is below. I would like to see the ability to use both running light channels as separately controlled heat troller channels. I would also like to have the option for the amps not used on the high amp channels to be used on the lower amp channels (not sure if the hardware would allow this). The accessory channel is on the weak side at 4a and if you configure the accessory channel as a high amp channel you lose the brake light channel and the running light channels become 4a channels. I know this sounds confusing but you have to play with the software to understand.

Currently my channels are configured as: 1. Horn at 20a continuous 25a peak; 2. Heat troller at 15a continuous 25a peak; 3. Dynamic brake light at 4a continuous; 4. Accessory at 4a continuous

Anyway if you would like to see other options or the heat troller option like me you can send an email here: info@hexezcan.com

"thanks for contacting us. - Naturally.. let us know what you want and we
    will add that to the requirement's log... As it stands currently it was
    designed to be as user friendly as possible... with the least amount of
    confusion... you know that 80/20 principle...

BUT we're always keen to here what the requirements are... ;-)

best
    Stephan"

Full Heat

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    50% heat

[​IMG]
    Lowest heat

[​IMG]

Off

[​IMG]
    mosey.levy likes this.
  5. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fully installed on my '17 GSA with the led running/brake light (running light on 10% and brake light on 100%) and heated gear channels being used. Assuming my J&M Intercom/CB, Iphone Charger and radar detector don't take more than 4 amps this is the perfect setup for me. I only need 1 amp for the leds on the license plate and would love to be able to use those leftover 3 amps on my accessory channel. Hopefully the hardware supports that for a future software upgrade.

I will install an airhorn using JVB's tutorial and it will be nice not to have to tap into the bike's horn circuit. The EZcan takes care of that. They are going to sell a lot of these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be really neat if they had a developer mode which used a simple 2 wire connection using a simple protocol, or maybe bluetooth, which provided simple text output of what the status was for each channel. Then folks like myself could include it on a display.
    mosey.levy likes this.
  7. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    The PC software has a diagnostic mode that shows the current amps and peak amps for each channel. But you would have to mount a laptop to your handlebars to use it while riding.
  8. Longrider9

Longrider9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, I like the EZCAN concept but I'm wondering if I could connect my Powerlet to the EZCZN and run it fused at 15A?
    I have the the full compliment of WarmNSafe gear (jacket, gloves,pants and socks) and Mike at WarmNsafe told me I need 15A to run the full compliment of gear.
    I run my heated gear through my Powerlet outlet.
    I have occasion to run all the gear.....at times...but I never have run Jacket, pants or socks on full. The gloves are the only heated gear I have run on high...but not for long periods.
    I've asked Hex about this configuration but did not get a conclusive answer.
  9. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes you could do that no problem. You can go as high as 25a if you like. You would need to configure the accessory channel as one of the high amp channels or run it off the running light channel like I am doing. If you run off the running lamp channel and plan to use a heat troller then you would just leave it a 100% all the time and turn down the heat with the troller.

If you configure the accessory channel as high amp you lose the tail light channel though. This is something I hope they address in future software. The ability to configure any channel as high or low and put unused amps on another channel would make it perfect.

Why do you run you gear through a powerlet rather than just a coax plug? Seems like an unnecessary bulky plug.
  10. Longrider9

Longrider9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Why do you run you gear through a powerlet rather than just a coax plug?"................I have a female COAX to a 90 degree flat BMW plug...which I plug into the Powerlet socket.
    My Powerlet socket is currently connected directly to my battery.
    I plug my heated gear and air compressor (when needed) into it.
    I currently have my Powerlet socket, Denali air horn, and a battery tender SAE cable all connected to my battery.
    I would like to minimize the cables on my battery terminal.

"Seems like an unnecessary bulky plug."......The female COAX to 90 degree flat BMW plug is not bulky at all.
  11. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neat. If they provided the protocol information, saving time from sniffing it out, this could actually be valuable for someone like myself. Bluetooth USB puck acting as a wireless serial connection. I could then simply transmit the data stream to the screen I have on my bike. If I remember to email them I'll ask.
  12. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there any sort of visual display of the settings for the heated gear (lights) circuit? I.e. using the dash LCD or NAV5 ?
  13. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    No but if you are going to use it for lights you can custom set the brightness with four settings. Low beam daytime; low beam night time; high beam daytime; high beam night time. Dimming with the wonderwheel you would count the 10 clicks. Using heated gear you would count the clicks but just like using a heat troller your indication is how warm you feel.
  14. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats cool that it can do these things, however I am thinking this is Gen 1 of the Ezcan and Gen2 will follow soon. There's too much more it "could" do now they've cracked the canbus code. Like display settings on a Nav5 or dash for instance. I'll wait a little while.
  15. Liquidape

Liquidape Shiftless When Idle

Oddometer:
    I think you will be waiting a LONG time if you are waiting for it to change the dash display. Right now the Ezcan is a passive listener on the CAN bus. AFAIK it's not sending any signals down the CAN bus communication channels and that is by design. The second you start to send packets on the CAN bus while the bike is operating is you enter a whole new realm of product testing, risk and liability.
  16. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe--maybe not. These guys know how to do it. You don't think the GS911 sends signals on the canbus?

We'll see.

Edit: actually I'd say the EZcan already sends data on the canbus, if the wonder-wheel can control its functions. Passive listener? Doesn't look like it.
  17. Liquidape

Oddometer:
    Maybe they will try it . But I seriously doubt it. Sending signals to modules when the bike is stationary is a completely different animal then addressing them when the bike is moving under its own power and bus timing is critical to half a dozen subsystems.

You f up in the first case the absolute worse thing that happens is you brick a module or error out and need to reboot the bike.
    You f up in the second case and you can cause a failure that leads to a fatal accident.

The GS-911 wifi I have is far from robust in its communication with the bike. I've had several times when it has timed out or errored out when trying to commincate with the bike or change a setting. Not a big deal when doing maintenance. Not something I'd want to risk while riding the bike.
  18. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well that is what the EZcan is already doing.
  19. Liquidape

Oddometer:
    No it's just sitting on the CAN passively listening. All its outputs are external to the CAN. This the same way that the CAN Opener works.
    The big difference between it and the CAN Opener is that You can program how it reacts when it hears a signal on the CAN and it manages powers output per output channel. But those reactions are limited to the outputs from it that are external and separated from the CAN. AFAIK It's not injecting any information on to the CAN.
    nobody0101 likes this.
  20. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. Having installed and operated mine I don't see that it is sending anything into the Canbus. Just sniffing and then reacting out it's channels. Nothing on the bike changes. All lights, horns, tail/brake lights and accessories are add-on.