Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the wonder wheel doesn't operate thru the canbus?
  2. Liquidape

Liquidape Shiftless When Idle

Oddometer:
    You turn the wheel it sends a signal on the CAN. The EZ can hears the signal and reacts to it. BUT it doesn't send anything over the CAN.

Think of it this way - the EZ Can is eavesdropping on all the conversations that the parts of the bike are having with themselves BUT it never joins in the conversation.
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think you are correct. The Canopener does actually send a signal through the system. It utilizes the Wonderwheel to adjust the intensity of the lights, and it uses the turn signal switch to do it as well.

That said, it does not appear to actually alter any of the motorcycle parameters.

The GS911, on the other hand directly effects the onboard computer in several ways, dates, fault codes, service reminder, activating the ABS and calibrating the throttle bodies on the older models. It also syncs TPS units to the bike.
  4. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly--which is why I am waiting to see what else these guys come up with! :lurk
  5. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy to report that the four amp accessory channel is actually a lot of amps. My J&M Intercom/CB, radar detector and iphone charger pull a whopping .6 amps. No software updated needed for me. It does everything I want.

Now a six channel EZcan with two heated gear channels would be sweet.
  6. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's more likely to send something to the Nav screen than the dash, simply because much of the dash is made of pre-set indicators in the LCD itself, except for the display area which lets you see a few tidbits--if they ever plan to do a live readout that is.

I have my own product in place of the Nav screen, and can output anything I want on it, which is why I'm curious to get ahold of the Ezcan and see if I can convert the output for my own use. It's nice being able to see what outputs are set to while riding.

They also haven't just 'cracked' the code, they've had it--or they should have had it. They designed the GS911 long ago. BMW provided their entire CAN manual to some design and analysis teams in California this past year, merely at their request, to design some products which rely on the CAN. I'd wager the folks at Hex received the same manual--or will be asking for it shortly.

From examining their Canopener product, it shouldn't need to write/broadcast on the CAN. You can read/listen to the CAN and see what the Wonderwheel is doing. The Hex does the same thing, it listens for certain codes and responds as programmed.

When I was scanning the bus lastyear, I could see myself operating the turn signals, etc, in just read-only mode.
  7. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out OomD's thread for his product (smartswitch) for lots of details as to how this device is likely to work.

None of the devices are likely sending out signals over canbus, just monitor for known inputs and react by switching on devices (or changing brightness,etc) that are controlled by the unit.

I'd be surprised if you could even inject commands into canbus at the entry point like the TPMS connection which both of these devices plug into. But this is of course just a guess on my part.

As cool as it would be to do more useful things on the nav5, I doubt that is even possible on this unit. BMW doesn't even appear to have that much control over what level of integration other than what we have now. Scrolling some menus with the wonder wheel.
    taz_va and Liquidape like this.
  8. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    AFAIK it's not really a TPMS connection, it's a CAN-bus port that is pretty much like all of the others except it is located where the TPMS gets mounted. And I don't see a reason why a unit couldn't inject new signals into the bus. If they were valid signals, they would be acted on or ignored like the others.
    taz_va and genka like this.
  9. nobody0101

nobody0101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My thought was that injection at this point (or others) would likely be filtered. Just a guess of course. Being that these bikes are entirely fly by wire in a sense hanging some non-OEM device off the bus that could inject commands onto the bus could be problematic.
    Liquidape likes this.
  10. genka

genka SUV hater

Oddometer:
    I wish someone with a hand-on experience with EZcan and Smartswitch could compare the devices.
    It seems to me that EZcan wins in:
    20Amp capacity (It should cover the entire excess power budget in the bike)
    Comes with connectors
    User friendliness
    Documentation
    Local support/ warranty
    Availability

Smartswitch wins in:
    Number of output channels (6 vs 4)
    Control over WiFi
    Control inputs
    More configuration flexibility
    Smartphone App
  11. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a network, not much in difference from a general computer network. You can plug into it. Whether you only watch the traffic or participate, the network generally doesn't care. The modules on the network (OEM or otherwise) will either ignore or react, depending on if they recognize what they see going across the network.

While this is an oversimplification, it's meant to show that it's not as complex as some may believe. In 5 minutes with $9 of electronics, I was watching handlebar control data on the BMW CAN within 1 day of ownership.

I don't have either, but I participated in the Smartswitch thread, and followed the development (elsewhere), as well as that of the Ezcan. You've essentially captured the important differences.

In my spare time, which is rare, I've been slowly putting together my own proprietary (personal use) device similar to the 2. In the meantime, I have an Ezcan being delivered this week. I went with it over the SmartSwitch because I'm essentially making my own, but until it's complete, I'd like to enjoy some of the features right now. Once my hobby-level device is complete, I will likely sell the Ezcan. Probably within a year.
  12. genka

genka SUV hater

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting. Since you're treating it as a hobby, are you going to share the details of your work? If the commands are not encrypted and follow the CAN standard, it should be relatively easy to read and write. At the same time I understand why people are reluctant to sell products that send commands to a moving bike.
  13. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    Need help with my thinking, as usual. I'm looking to buy a set of Clearwater Dalars for my thumb wheeled GS and an EzCan. It seems the EzCan and Clearwater Can-thing would be redundant. So could I go with the universal Darla and an EzCan and get more functionality i.e., blinking brake, additional accessory pigtails, for only ~ $50 more?

Will I lose any functionality if I don't add the Clearwater Can-thing?
    • Universal Darla ~ $500 + engine guard mount ~$50 + EzCan = ~ $750
    • Thumbwheel Darla ~ $650 + EzCan = $800
    Honard likes this.
  14. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    When you say powerlet outlet, am I correct in assuming you're running this directly from the battery?
  15. Longrider9

Longrider9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. Powerlet outlet, Mondomoto LED lights, Denali soundbomb horn, and SAE pigtail (for battery tender) all are currently running off the battery terminals.
    I would like get the Powerlet, lights and horn off of the battery.
  16. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know everything the Canopener does but with the EZcan you will be able to brighten and dim with the wonderwheel, on and off with turn signal button, custom brightness settings for day, night, high and low beam, light alternate with blinkers and hazards, strobe on tap of flash to pass and strobe with horn. All of these options can be enabled or disabled separately. Best thing to do is to download their software utility so you can see everything.

Also the EZcan does not require that you buy a led license plate frame from Hex. Any led lights will work.

Bonus with the EZCan is that you also get an accessory channel and a horn channel.
  17. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll follow your advice. So far I can't see any downside - other spending a little more money.
  18. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll definitely release whatever may be beneficial for anyone else to follow.
    RoundTrip and genka like this.
  19. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    So, does the Ezcan act as a fuse block for the items on it? Also, can it make use of the jog dial we have to brighten and dim aux. lights?
  20. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes if you trip a circuit the slight goes from solid green to blinking red. You can reset the circuit by cycling the ignition (assuming the fault has been corrected). I played around with it while the bike was running and my laptop hooked up. I set the horn circuit to 15a and activated my Wolo horn. Tripped the circuit. Set it back to 25a and the light went green. What I forgot to check was whether the other circuits were disabled as well.