Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. bobbybob

bobbybob Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much "latency" when you press the horn button--I assume there is some since it acts the same way as the bikes ECU.
  2. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a fraction of a fraction of a second. I have stock horn still connected and it has no perceptible delay.

EDIT: The more I think about it I'm not sure the slight delay is caused by the EZcan. It might be that airhorns have a delay. I'll try a stock horn on the EZ can and see if there is a delay.
  3. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd imagine it wouldn't have a noticeable one, as it's reacting the same way the ECU would. I'll post up when I can this weekend.

(edit, looks like hammick beat me to it)
  4. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    I have 2 EzCan installation questions. I'm installing a set of Clearwater Darlas on a 2016 GS.
    1. Which Darla wire do I connect to the positive EZCan output wire? The Darlas have a red, black and green input wire. The EzCan output has a black (ground) and a colored positive wire. The green or the red? Or both? I think the green is the dimmer input so it seems to me I would leave it unattached.
    2. Do I need a relay with the EzCan? I'm assuming I don't need to include a relay somewhere on the auxiliary lights.
    Thanks.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why are you using the EZ Can instead of the Canopener that comes with the Darlas for your bike?
  6. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    I ordered the Darlas without the Canopener. It was a close decision . With the EzCan it looks like I can get a little more functionality beyond what I get with the Canopener:
    1. blinking and progressive deceleration brake using my auxiliary brake light
    2. additional accessory pigtails
    3. I think the ability to turn the Darlas completely off and on using the BMW switchgear.
    4. Fewer wires and maybe no relay.
    All of the above assumes that I can get the 2 manufacturers products to work together.
  7. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't own Darla's, but from basic electrical standpoint observe the following:

1A, The Ez-Can modulates the power. It will only need to interact with ground/pos of the Darlas, whichever those are. I don't have time to read their online manual otherwise I would tell you.

1B, make sure to choose the high output channels of the EZC for your Darlas, one of them is the Red wire, the other is the Orange wire (i believe)

2, You do not use a relay between the EZC and the Darlas. As mentioned in 1A, the EZC modulates power for the Darlas, it is handling them entirely by itself.
    H-Jay likes this.
  8. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I thought that was the answers after reading the manual and watching both company's videos. But it helps to get others views. Don't wanna fry anything being stupid.
  9. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I looked up the manual for the Darlas. It says the volume control that comes with the Universal Kit operates the lights from 5% - 55% using the green wire. To get 100% you have to hook up the white wire from the volume control to your high beam circuit.

Before you hook everything up I would take a light and test it direct to a battery with just the black and red wires. If they go to 100% with 12v power then you should be good to go using the EZcan running light channel.
  10. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Thanks. From everyone's input it looks like I just need to connect the red positive and black ground to the Ezcan output and I don't need to worry about a relay. If this works this way it will be a really clean simple installation...once I get the panels off.
  11. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    It warmed up enough in the garage to install the Darlas and brake light connected to the EzCan. I heard from Hex and they confirmed that I only need to connect the red and black Darla wires and no need to fuss with a relay. I really like this set up plus I have spare output for a future accessory.

The lights work great. I'm waiting to hear back from Hex on a glitch with the Mac software that doesn't want to let me do a firmware update.
  12. ManOnTheHill

ManOnTheHill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just got mt EZcan. Very well made product. Should have it on tomorrow.
  13. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Anyone able to answer this. Does the Ezcan allow for the use of the multi-function wheel to dim and brighten aux lights?
  14. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes.

It is a great device and I love mine.
  15. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes but o
    Yes but only aftermarket lights. It doesn't control the GSA aux lights.
  16. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. Looks like I will go with the Ezcan.
  17. Dirtpatch

Dirtpatch Getmesome

Oddometer:
    I think I've chosen Adv moto 55 lights for the front. Has anybody else tried these lights with the ezcan.
    What did they think of their functionality.

What is a recommended rear brake led light for the rear that acts like a Billy jr. will any led brake light have the functions of deceleration etc with the hex ez can installed and software installed.
  18. ManOnTheHill

ManOnTheHill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you'll be happy with the ezCan. The multi-wheel dims my PIAA light very well.
  19. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can use any LED bar/plate you like. It will give you decel and flashing brakes. I used this one
    Signal Dynamics LED License Plate Frame - Dual Row - Black 02029
    It was 76 bucks but I really liked the looks of it and the double LED shows nice. You do have to put a slight notch in your plate for the wires to be flush but no issues and not a big deal at all. Couple strokes with a rat tail file and it is done. It really makes the plate look very nice.

You run it off the ezCAN 4A lead for brake light and configure it as you like, at what speeds it turns on at for brake flash, and how sensitive to decel you want it.

Ted Porter and the ezCAN are very high on my lists of favorite things and dealer to work with. Both of them are really great!
  20. tactical1

tactical1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going to install the Clearwater lights on my 2015 RT - in speaking with Billy at Clearwater, he indicates the lights will work with the ezcan at first but :
    "The Krista is a 3 wire system since we need the 3rd wire for the dimming function. Please do not use our Krista with the ezcan, it will seem to work fine at first but it will fail in a long run"
    Purchased the ezcan from Ted at the Beemershop (very nice fellow to deal with) and have kept him in the loop with the communications from Clearwater. Not wanting to risk the Ericas with the ezcan, I am going with the canopener from CL. The ezcan is really a nice set up and I suspect with a little more development will be compatible with the Clearwater lights.
    I used the ezcan for the Billie brake light and Denali air horn and both worked well - will be putting a pristine ezcan for sale shortly