Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. lowph

lowph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just installed a Ezcan on my R1200GS as a controller for my heated gear (planning an extra brake light and considering a soundbomb later).

• Which heated gear products do you use?
      Exo2 Stormrider & Gerbing jacket
    • Do you always use the heated grips when using heated gear?
      No, but most of the time.
    • How do you currently control the temperature? Always full on? Simple on/off switch? Temperature controller?
      EZcan and on our sidecar we have two temperature controllers installed, an Exo2 controller (not sold anymore) for the driver and a dual Gerbing controller for the monkey and sidecar seat, both have 10 levels.
    • What level/resolution of control do you think is useful? i.e. is on/off enough, or are 2, or 3, or 10 heat levels better?
      At least 5 levels, 10 would be better.
    • The R1200's have two settings for heated grips, while the F750/850's have 3 settings? Any thoughts on how useful the extra settings are?
      Would love a third, lower level. Sometimes the lower setting is a bit too warm but a bit heat would be nice.
    • Do you think you would want to have automatic temperature regulation? See for example, the Neutrino black box, which offers a special auto adjusting mode, https://www.neutrinoblackbox.com/products
      I prefer manual control. The desired setting depends on more than just temperature (e.g. wind, rain or snow, duration of the drive).
    • We've chatted to a particular jacket distributor - most of their jackets sell without a power control switch, i.e. just plug it in for power, unplug to turn off. They do have a controller (with two settings), but they sell quite a few more jackets than controllers - any thoughts on that.
      For me a controller is a must, full power is way too hot most of the time and gradual control is needed on a longer trip in low temperatures. A lack of choice (in the Netherlands) made me buy a EZcan for this.
  2. BacktrackADV

BacktrackADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a few different things to consider here:
    • The ezCAN has 2x 10A continuous (25A short duration, for horns) + 2x 4A output circuits
    • Erica's are 5A lights (each), so that limits you to using the first two output circuits for the lights
    • Independent left/right turn signal control (for "Off when turn signal active") requires two output circuits, one for each light.
    • If you drive the lights from a single circuit (e.g. configuration option 4), then they will both go off when turn signal is active, as there is only one wire going to them.
    • If the first two circuits are used for lights, then the horn can't be connected.
    • Clearwater recommend running their lights in 3-wire mode. We've run accelerated life tests in 2-wire mode and had good results, but they have said that they do not recommend this and will not cover warranty claims when the lights are run in 2-wire mode.
    So, given what you want to connect, I would recommend
    • Use output configuration option 4, i.e. lights on red, horn on orange, brake on yellow, accessory on white. That will not give you independent left/right, but it will allow you to run everything on a single ezCAN.
    • If you definitely want the left/right off with turn signal feature, you could use output configuration 1 and put the lights on red/orange and the brake on yellow. The horn will have to be wired independently of the ezCAN.
    deadflagblues likes this.
  4. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    If the output configuration has independent circuits for left and right, then the fuse setting is for each circuit, i.e. in your output configuration, if you set the fuse to 5A for the aux lights, then the Red circuit will have a 5A electronic fuse, and the Orange circuit will have a 5A electronic fuse. We've improved the circuit fuse configuration in an upcoming version of the software.

You are correct about the 5A peak current - it is the inrush current when the lights turn on. The electronic fuses won't trip on a short over current (like a physical fuse). We've designed the electronic fuses to behave similarly to physical fuses.

For your setup, I suspect a 4A or 5A fuse selection would work well. There is some detail about how to set the electronic fuse in the installation videos, but you should set it at the correct level for the equipment connected.
    vanha and TurkeyRun like this.
  5. vanha

vanha Finnspacko

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much!
    I couldn't find anywhere correct info about this, but now I know (and I hope someone else thinking about it got themselves an answer as well).
    It could have been mentioned in the configuration tool- everything else is well explained and easy to use with basic knowledge about electrics.
    Also nice to know there's a new software version coming up!
  6. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to shime in after experiencing with the canSMART running heated gear. Works great except the maximum output is 4A on the second channel of the canSMART which can be a problem for some people.

Other than that, 3 quick flasher click puts the vest on and off and pushing the wonder wheel 3 seconds, then increase to max or decrease to minimum and count 5 for 1/2 power and 7 for 7/10 power works great. I'm returning from a ~5000km trip and I got used to it and it replaces my heated vest controller. Those ezCAN and canSMART are very good products, it really does what I was looking for (control the intensity of the lights, flash the light when you activate the horn, control my heated vest).
    thatHEXguy likes this.
  7. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    So with the CanSmart you can have lights and heated gear? With the EZcan you can't do both which is fine because I find a dedicate controller is easier to use.
  8. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly. I spoke with HEX at first and only the first channel or second channel can dim but not both so it wouldn't work to have dimmable lights on channel 1 and dimmable heated vest on channel 2 on the EZcan. I was told that they have an agreement with Denali to have this specifically for the canSMART. thatHEXguy can confirm it. I like the canSMART idea because it comes with the wires for the Denali pods and Soundbomb.
  9. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need more bikes

Oddometer:
    FWIW, Warm & Safe told me to skip connecting my heated gear through the CANBUS.
  10. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know. You wrote it I think a few pages back and to contact them to have explanation but the gear is connected to the Ezcan or Cansmart and I see no problem electrically speaking. I monitored via the app the amp draw. The ezcan and cansmart are just listening on the canbus, they send nothing to it, it's been confirmed by HEX. They listen to what's going on and example they get the wheel turning signal, it sends it to the ezcan/cansmart concerned channel. I see no reason as to why it could affect anything else than what is connected to the ezcan/cansmart in ANY way...
  11. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also have a cansmart. I've been looking at using the horn circuit (via simple circuit override) and using a controller. From Gerbing's chart I wouldn't have enough amperage available using one of the light circuits. @thatHEXguy, I presume that the cansmart has a similar limitation to the ezCan with the horn circuit? 25A short duration, 10A continuous?
  12. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My best suggestion is to open the canSMART app and plug your heated vest at the maximum setting and monitor the peak amp that it's using (upper right, click there, you can monitor what draws what). My heated vest was rated at 5.1A but at the max setting it never went higher than 3.84A so I use the 2nd light option which makes it possible to dim it without the use of a controller. As per HEX website, 25A/10A continuous 20s https://hexezcan.com/installation/bmw-r1200-lc/
  13. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    I suspect that is true, but the cansmart is fixed configuration compared to the ezCan. So I just wanted to confirm same/same. For instance the Denali manual does not list that 25A continuous isn't possible when the horn circuit is leveraged with simple circuit override. Or if it does I missed it.

http://files.twistedthrottle.com.s3...NALI 2.0/Instructions_DNL.WHS.11600_rev04.pdf
  14. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure I understand. The horn circuit only hot when you press the horn button.

I had no issues running a Warm and Safe jacket using the 10a light lead. If your are running pant and gloves it may trip the circuit. You won't hurt anything testing it out.
  15. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The canSMART is a bit different than the EZcan but the amp port is 25... From Denali's website: Port1 10A Port2 4A Port3 25A Port4 2A. As said, plug your gear on the first port and monitor the amp draw in the monitoring tab when plugged via USB and you'll know the current draw and the peak draw
  16. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    Simple circuit override turns a given output on the cansmart/ezcan into a simple ignition switched circuit. I'm not required to hold down anything.

I'm trying to figure out power budget so I don't have to tear down the bike multiple times to get my desired outcome.
  17. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok. They must have added that in a firmware update. Makes sense.
  18. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    On the CANSmart the "Auxiliary lights One" and "Auxiliary Horn" circuits are 10A continous / 25A short duration, and the "Auxiliary Brake Light" and "Auxiliary lights Two" are 4A continuous.
    Tremblay likes this.
  19. vanha

vanha Finnspacko

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to reset the unit on the road??

I changed the fuse setting via computer but I believe it was not confirmed by the configurator tool because when starting the bike the lights went down again..

Fuses should reset when I turn off the bike but this doesn’t help. It was the same earlier-I had to connect the Hexezcan to computer for hard reset.

Everything is connected properly and it has been working just fine before I start the engine of my GS.

Very frustrated at the moment..

Any advise what can I do without connecting to computer?
    (I already tried taking off the battery connection and reconnect but this didn’t help either.)
  20. lowph

lowph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah, that's a pity. I was kind of hoping they would come out with a software update for the EZcan at some point to enable this behavior. Doesn't matter to much as I was not planning to add extra lights but the option would be nice.