Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any idea if or when this Channel configuration will be available? My aux lights take less than 4 amps each, the brake light is a must, 10 amp accessory would be nice and I can live without the horn.

upload_2018-10-26_23-27-21.png

Is there a hardware limitation that prevent the "Simple Circuit Override" on the EZcan? It's still mentioned on the info button with the March 2019 Firmware.
  2. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can control light brightness with the Wonderwheel, or toggle lights on and off with the turn signal cancel (on R1200LC and K1600 units), but you will need to connect to the PC software to adjust the fuse settings.
  3. vanha

vanha Finnspacko

Oddometer:
    Nothing happens whatever I try, my lights are as blind as Stevie Wonder.
    Must double-chech every setting when I get back to my laptop.
    Would be great to have phone app to connect with Ezcan.
  4. vanha

vanha Finnspacko

Oddometer:
    But if the”fuse” goes down, should it be reset just by power off?
    Or how does a fuse reset happen??
  5. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes. If you turn off the bike, wait a couple mins for ZFE to go to sleep. The circuit should be re-enabled when you turn the bike back on. Unless it's blowing as soon as power gets applied.
  6. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you read my messages? Plug the canSMART, plug into laptop, install canSMART software, plug your gear with alligator clamps worst case, monitor the current draw in the software, DONE!
    On a solely computer standpoint, a phone app without a USB connection would have the cansmart/ezcan to have a built-in USB or WiFi adapter...........
  7. vanha

vanha Finnspacko

Oddometer:
    Seems that my Hex unit doesn’t re-enable the fuse no matter how long the bike is turned off.

Edit:
    Fuse is not the issue, that was just my first guess as the aux lights stopped working. Fuses were set as they should so I never got the red LED on the ezCAN. Outputs just quit working without a reason(or I still haven’t found the reason).
  8. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have read your posts and agree it would work. As I haven’t ordered any heated gear yet, it would be rather difficult to use your method.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the issue is still present it can't.
    Tremblay likes this.
  10. vanha

vanha Finnspacko

Oddometer:
    I reckon that the issue might be with the unit itself..
    Even if I disconnect all the plugs and cut off the power I still don’t get electric back.

edit:
    And the ezCAN has the green LED on all the time so should not even be a fuse issue as I first assumed. Unit just cuts the power to the lights without any obvious reason.
    I’ll reset the ezcan unit(again) and check all the settings(again) when I get back home from my weekend tour..
  11. F16Viper68

F16Viper68 Trapped in the Sandbox! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm curious does anyone else find their driving lights (PIAA in this case) randomly don't turn on when firing up the bike? I can't figure out why but many times I find my PIAA driving lights are off. I can manually turn them on by holding down the directional button and sometimes they'll turn back on after restarting the bike but other times they are off.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with my Hex ezCAN because I can't see from riding position if they are on or off. Many times I'll leave the bike running, get off and find the lights are off. Other times they are fine.

Anyone else experienced this behavior?
  12. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you possibly have a PIAA switch harness installed on your bike? We recently had someone having very strange behaviour (in his case linked to the indicator functionality), and when the switch was removed things worked exactly as expected. He had a momentary push button switch with an LED on it, but wasn't able to supply the exact model number of the harness.
  13. F16Viper68

F16Viper68 Trapped in the Sandbox! Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, I cut the wires at the lights and ran them directly to the ezCAN. There was a harness like you described when they were installed on the Tenere wasn't necessary with this setup.
  14. vanha

vanha Finnspacko

Oddometer:
    I’m having similar problem(w/ BD Squadron Sports) and Hex Guy has been extremely helpful with trying to solve it but sadly we haven’t found a clear reason why this happens.
    I reset everything with config tool on computer and at the moment everything is working well when testing in the garage..(road test happens after the fresh snow melts away..)

Did you manage to solve the issue with your lights? And if you did what was the solution?
  15. andynj

andynj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had my EZcan running for nearly a year, after a problem with the first unit and my horn my second unit has been fine...until now. Today the aux lights did not turn on, all other EZcan connected lights and accessories worked correctly so only the front light channel. I plugged in my laptop, upgraded to latest version of software and firmware and looked the diagnostics. The front channel was pulling 90+ AMPS! and overloading...ummh nothing has changed on my bike so this is weird. When I pull the high beams to force the lights on you can watch the amps climb until the fuse pops. Obviously at 90+ amps no setting on the EZcan is going to resolve this.

So figure maybe I have a short in my wiring, nope all continuity checks out so I completely unplug all the aux lights now this should be fine right? NOPE, with no lights connected to the Red channel at all when I pull the full beam switch I can see the red channel amps go from zero all the way to up to the fuse setting of 25 before it pops the fuse and hits overload.

Pretty sure something has gone bad in the EZcan, and its a total PITA. this is the second time now and it always takes so much time to test everything. I sent an Email to EZcan support and hope they get back to me soon with a replacement, I think this will be the last time before I look for something else fed up of screwing around with this instead of riding.
  16. flybigjet

flybigjet Remove Before Flight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for someone who's an electrical idiot.

Two Denali D4's wired together onto a singe circuit (i.e. Configuration Four: Two lights, horn, brake lights, empty accessory).

The box says 2A on the light (I'm assuming each?) and the website says 3.3A (again, each?)

Should I set the virtual fuse for the light circuit at 7.5A? (I'm figuring 3.3 x 2?)

Also, for the Denali Compact Soundbomb horn, what should I set the amperage at?

TIA--
  17. flybigjet

Oddometer:
    A note for thatHEXguy:

I'm using Skene P3 rear aux brake lights, but even 10% on the slider for the "running light" option is far too bright. At night, it looks like the brake light is aways on. Would there be a way in a later update to dim them? Maybe make a "5%" option available on the slider? Right now I've got the running light option set to 0% and the brake to 100%, but it would be nice to dim down the Skene's enough to run then as running lights and get a nice red light triangle (two Skene's and the stock brake/running light) at the rear of the bike.

Just a thought...
    bmwmotoradd and thatHEXguy like this.
  18. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure it's the same on the HEX compared to the canSMART but if you plug in your computer, you have an option on the upper right corner to see the amp draw. Unplug everything except your lights and light them up, you will see the peak amp and current amp, that's how I setted up my amp settings.
    flybigjet likes this.
  19. flybigjet

Oddometer:
    Thanks-- that's what I did, and no fuses blew, so I guess it's all good.
  20. BMWBUD

BMWBUD This isn't my first sidecar rodeo.

Oddometer:
    Dumb questions of the day.

I have the Hex unit plugged into my 08 GS. It is not connected to the battery. There is a small blinking led light on the end near the usb port. Normal? Why would it have power when it's not attached to the battery? Small draw that won't run the battery down?