Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Kevin67

Kevin67 Plonker

Oddometer:
    I don't know about your first issue but for the flashing aux lights I have to flick my high beam switch three times in quick succession.
  2. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting - this is the first time I've heard of an issue losing configuration. Is there any chance you are accidentally turning the lights off with the turn signal cancel button? When this happened, did you try using the turn signal cancel to turn the lights back on? (hold turn signal cancel until the lights toggle on - should toggle on after about 3s of holding the button)

We are about to release new software & firmware, so please update when this is available (this week) and send me a message if you are still having issues after the update as we want to resolve any strange issues like this as soon as possible.
    side-burn and deadflagblues like this.
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first thing I tried was holding in the turn signal cancel button to turn the light back on, but they didn't turn back on. I did reroute the wires attached to the battery, so the controller would have lost power. While I wouldn't think that would result in the configuration being lost (stored in static RAM), could that have caused it?

In the R&D lab I once work at, we would attribute strange issues to Alpha particles. I'll keep an eye out for the new software & firmware. Thanks for the help.
  4. Englishmatt

Englishmatt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have them set exactly opposite to how you mention.

In the daytime at 100% you’re not blinding anyone but it “gets their attention”, which honestly...I don’t care too much about annoying folks in bright daylight.

It’s nighttime on low beam where you dim it down so they light up the road ahead and he sides, but don’t blind on comers.

Then high beam, unleash the hounds and listen for the roosters.

That’s my set up... and .2c
    side-burn likes this.
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

Do I need to worry about downloading these other "updates" that you release if my unit is performing satisfactorily??

I have an EzCan from about 2 years ago and it is performing great. We had an issue early on about it not restoring auxiliary lighting after the signals stopped flashing but you all fixed that with a download.

6. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    If it is performing well and doing what you need it to do, then there is no specific need to update. Some of the updates have been fixes for specific bikes, but the most recent release (which is now up - @b_rubenstein) does add extra configurability as well as a feature to modulate auxiliary lights during the day. I'll post a bit later with more details about the latest release.

The extra configurability in the new release allows independent left/right aux lights when operating in 3-wire mode (if configured in a specific way), and also now allows the long requested feature of 2x independent auxiliary lights, a high power horn (or accessory) and a brake output. Again, I'll post more on this a bit later today, and let you know about the new Generation 2 hardware.
    Quest01, leafman60 and deadflagblues like this.
  7. b_rubenstein

Oddometer:
    Software & Firmware updates installed without issue. The configuration setup is simpler since there is no longer any need to pick one of four configurations and then configure individual channels. The description of the Flash to Pass now explicitly states rapidly press three times to have the aux lights flash repeatedly. That's how it did work for my setup, so now I know it's working as intended. The only issue I have is with the software display on my laptop: screen resolution is set to 1920x1080 and the app window is much larger than it was on the previous release and I have to scroll up and down to navigate to all the devices. The good news is I don't need my reading glasses when using the app.
    Quest01, thatHEXguy and side-burn like this.
  8. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your reply. Your presence on this forum is very helpful.

thatHEXguy and deadflagblues like this.
  9. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    We figured that not having to buy reading glasses was like a discount against purchasing an ezCAN :D

Sorry I didn't quite get to posting about the new hardware & software yesterday, will make sure I get that info up today.
    bgillie likes this.
  10. b_rubenstein

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting with baited breath to find out that my month old controller is obsolete...
  11. bmwmotoradd

bmwmotoradd n00b

Oddometer:
    What exactly does the 'modulation' function do? Noticed it upon upgrading. Explanation on Hexezcan site left me scratching my head. Thx.
  12. bmwmotoradd

bmwmotoradd n00b

Oddometer:
    My own settings (Piaa fogs (LED) lower forks and Denali DM 2 with Data Dim on fairing) at 20-30% setting for daylight low beam and 100% for high beam. Night setting for low beam about 20% and 100% for high beam. The Piaa fog lights are particularly bright even at 20%. Yellow lights stand out far better than white lights. Don't drive at night so these lights are strictly to ensure me and the bike are seen and stand out. Including my yellow jacket and and yellow helmut.

IMG_1437 2.JPG
  13. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    The modulation feature continuously varies the brightness of your auxiliary lights by a small amount to make your bike more conspicuous to other road users.

The auxiliary lights modulation feature performs a similar function to a headlight modulator, something like this (from 0:57) (this is a headlight modulator, not an ezCAN modulating auxiliary lights):

Here is the DOT specification for headlight modulators, https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-headlight-modulators/

Modulation is only active when in "day" mode (for both high & low beam) and is off when in "night" mode. Day & night mode are determined from the ambient light sensor on the BMW bikes.

You can set how much the modulation varies the aux light intensity by going to the extra setting (three dots in top right of aux lights configuration panel) and increasing or decreasing the modulation.
  14. bmwmotoradd

bmwmotoradd n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the explanation and video. The modulation makes quite a difference. I like it!
  15. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    Quest01 likes this.
  16. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just upgraded the firmware on my Gen1 and although I like the way the circuits are shown across the top with the corresponding colors...I do not like the way I am restricted to what I can assign to each circuit.

I want to use the high power Red circuit to power my accessory outlets (1 12v and 1 dual USB) and occasionally plug in my air compressor or heated jacket (90 watt or 7.5amp) but my options are limited to joining the Aux Light config profile in order to have an option for more than 4amps. This isn't necessarily terrible except that if you are configured to have the Aux lights flash with Hazard or horn, then it also flashes power to the Aux plugs.

Any way we can get more granularity to have more options for config profiles that can be assigned to each circuit?
  17. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. deadflagblues

deadflagblues I need a new bike

Oddometer:
    Great updates, both hw and sw!
  19. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    What are all the accessories that you have and what is the exact combination that you would like to have?
  20. The Opa

The Opa experienced

Oddometer:
    HEXguy, I'm on a trip at the moment and will connect the computer when I get home. Have my accessory lights programmed to shut off when turn signals are actuated. Saw in a window reflection today that the opposite light is going out when the turn signals are used. Left turn signal, right accessory light goes out. When I programmed them at home all was correct.

Is it possible that I gave some command to switch the lights? I saw earlier today that I had turned the accessory lights off inadvertently.

Having wifi tonight just thought I would ask.