Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just so that you know before you open the bag, Gen II units are shipped in a black bag.
    deadflagblues and side-burn like this.
  2. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    The ezcan has two intensity settings, one for running/tail light intensity and another for brake intensity. The running/tail intensity can be set to zero (using the software) so that it only activates with the brake light.
  3. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s what was pictured on their website, so I think I ordered the correct one.
  4. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is the HEX EZ CAN able to control on/off an accessory through one of the bike switches ? For instance, suppose I want to control the on/off state of a relay with a tap on the ABS button; once I tap the ABS buton (or any other programed button) it turns the relay on, i.e it supplies an output with +12 volts conneted to the relay's coil; when tapped agaiin it switches the relay off, i.e. it turns off the +12 volt supplied to the relay's coil ?
  5. side-burn

Oddometer:
    Not “any button” but there are options using the turn signal cancellation button could serve that purpose.
  6. lightylights

lightylights n00b

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to add my quick comment on HEX and customer support. My devise that I purchased in December 2017, would only work when the USB cable was plugged in. Tech support walked me through some tests and then had me send it back to the vendor for a full exchange. The replacement unit was brand new. Great customer service. Would recommend and purchase again.
    deadflagblues likes this.
  7. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sideburn;

Thanks for your reply. Could you guide me step by step on how to achieve this ?

Thanks,

Andre
  8. side-burn

Oddometer:
    @thatHEXguy this might be a stupid question, but why do we only get two caps for unused ports?

I only have use for one output to drive my Rigid 6” LED on the front. So far, no plans yet to use the other 3.

Would be nice to have a plug for each until such time.

As a follow up item. For unused outputs is there a preferred setting for amps, etc? I didn’t see an option for “unused” or a similar idea.
  9. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    Our default assumption was that most people would start off with a minimum of two lights (left/right) so the most basic install would be a left and right aux light and two output circuits would be used. This might not be everyone's setup, but I think it covers most cases. Worst case you could use one of the output stubs that are supplied and heatshrink off the open wires.

You can allocate a function and then either turn it off (e.g. the horn or accessory can be turned off in the software), or set all the sliders to 0% and disable all the features (e.g. for an unused brake output).

We do plan to add an "Off" function to entirely disable an output circuit without any additional configuration.
    side-burn likes this.
  10. attila_66

attila_66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hi HEXguy,
    Thank you for modifications and new setup.
    (GSA2016) When I turn the ignition on my original additional lights and lights connected to HEX Ez Can go on. If I dont start the engine after a short while original additional lights go off. But the lights connected to HEX stay on all the time.
    Same happens when I stop the engine using kill switch or side stand.

Any option to turn off all lights connected to Hex Ez Can with a timing?
    thatHEXguy and side-burn like this.
  11. side-burn

Oddometer:
    Just installed this today with a similar setup as @Englishmatt and I must say I’m very pleased with the quality and ease of use. I’ll post pics later.

I ended up turning the others off as you outlined for now. Eventually I’ll get a Billey Jr I think so I’ll end up using one that doesn’t have a plug.

Question. As I learn what brightness settings are best for day/night, if I use the multi controller during day/night will the EZCan remember that setting for the future, even if the ignition is turned off? This is instead of via software of course.

Thanks !
  12. virkdoc

virkdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone help me:
    I have a pair of Baja Squadron pro on red circuit and a pair of Hellas on orange circuit.....
    I cannot control them separately.....If I change intensity all the 4 lights change intensity??? I cannot individually turn them on or off??? The videos show otherwise.
    BMW R1200GSA 2018 with wonderwheel.
    And if I use the wonderwheel to switch them on or off all 4 go off or on.
  13. Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hexguy, quick question regarding the 10amp continuous limit per circuit. Is this a hard limit or a recommendation?

I ask because I'm considering using the Rigid DSS Pros, and they run 5.14 amps per light. I want to run two off one circuit, which means I'd be at 10.28 amps, slightly over max continuous. I know I could split them across two channels, but my other three channels are already spoken for with a set of conspicuity lights, aux brake light and power puck. Total amp draw across all 4 circuits would only be about 15 amps, so nowhere close to the 25 max.

Would this be an issue?

Thanks!
  14. virkdoc

virkdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok solved! The new HEX EZ CANS have support for 2 pairs of lights which can be programmed independently.
    For us who have the black colored box its not possible
    thatHEXguy likes this.
  15. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @theHEXguy

Are the ground wires on each channel considered common? If i were to connect all the black wires together, would there be any issues
  16. side-burn

Oddometer:
    I’m sure they are. If you have a multi-meter you could Ohm it out. I’d never do that in an audio system for fear of creating a ground loop for noise if the impedance were off between the various leads. Here maybe it’s fine even when using a PWM for light intensity.

I don’t see the value in tying them together however.
  17. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have lights that have dual colors. Each hot triggers the different colors. I only have one ground, hence why I need to share a ground between two channels
  18. side-burn

Oddometer:
    I’m sure that would be fine since your light will be the common ground that eventually goes to chassis ground.
  19. Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @thatHEXguy ,

In addition to the question above, I thought I remembered reading you post somewhere that it is possible to hook 2 ezCANs into one bike by daisy chaining them together, thus doubling the amount of circuits you have access to. Am I remembering this correctly? I think the caveat is that they have to be programmed separately, and of course be within the bikes overall power capacity.

If this is possible, it would mean I could just use two units and not have to worry a out the 10amp max per circuit.

Thanks!
  20. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    Back from a winter break, so here are a bunch of answers.....

Not currently, but I like the idea of making them behave similarly to the OEM aux lights. That means you can see the state and configure them with only ignition, but they are automatically off (and not draining the battery) after some time. I'll add it to the feature request list.

Yes, the brightness setting is stored over ignition/power cycles when it is adjusted with the multi-controller. Just remember that there are 4 different settings (day & night for both high & low beam) so changing conditions (e.g. day to night) could influence the light brightness when ignition is turned on/

We have tested and specify behaviour at 10A continuous for high power channels, but there is nothing which limits you drawing more (e.g. high power horns draw 20A for a short period). Also, the amp draw will change depending on whether the engine is running or not (supply voltage is about 14V from the alternator and about 12V from the battery if the engine is off). I wouldn't expect any issues drawing a tiny amount more.

The black wires all return directly to the negative battery cable, so there is no issue using only one return wire with that particular light that you have.

Yes, they can be daisy changed together and programmed separately, but it does seem like overkill for 0.3A.