Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Ludicrous Speed

Ludicrous Speed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks HEXguy! My desire for daisy chaining actually came up because I want to add a heated seat also, which means a relay. Figured two ezcans, while more expensive, takes up roughly the same space, allows me to ditch the relay and also adds extra channels, expanding my lighting options. (I believe you can play with the lights so that when using the turn signal, the light on that particular side can turn off, but only if it's on it's own channel, otherwise both turn off)

Appreciate the help!
  2. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually responded to a support ticket yesterday where the person wants to use Clearwater Dixi's (100W/light, and each pod can draw a bit over 10A!!!), Darla's, a Soundbomb and brake light. It is technically possibly with a single ezCAN, but the nicer (although more expensive) solution is to use 2x Gen2 ezCAN's and then run the setup something like this:
    • ezCAN 1
      • Red - Left Dixi (Aux lights 1)
      • Blue - Right Dixi (Aux lights 1)
      • Yellow - Brake
      • White - accessory or other
    • ezCAN 2
      • Red - Left Darla (Aux lights 2)
      • Blue - Right Darla (Aux lights 2)
      • Yellow - Soundbomb horn
      • White - accessory or other
    With that config you get two sets of fully independent lights that can do left/right turn signals, as well as have separate intensities and be turned on and off independently.
  4. ckindt

ckindt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If both sets of lights are configured as Aux 1, will they both respond to the same commands (dimming and off/on) simultaneously or are they independently addressable somehow?

In the quoted configuration, how are the lights configured as Aux 2 addressed without affecting the lights configured as Aux 1?
  5. Tremblay

Tremblay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My strong suspicion is that since EzCan is sniffing the bus. If you had both light sets connected to aux1 on both ezCans you’d control both light sets via the same control inputs.

Using aux2 on the second EzCan means you can control each set independently on the move.
    thatHEXguy likes this.
  6. ckindt

Oddometer:

Do the Aux 2 lights have the same control as Aux 1 - like the ability to dim with the thumb wheel and turn on/off with a button? If so, how are they controlled independently?
  7. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    thatHEXguy and ckindt like this.
  8. ckindt

Oddometer:
  9. yapster2001

yapster2001 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Hexguy

I just received my bike with 2 sets of lights installed on a EZcan(Silver EZcan so gen 2?). The bike is GS1200 Rallye. I can't control the lights separately. Turn on and off, set brightness etc... One set of light is plugged to red port, Second set of lights plugged to orange port. One set is 8 amp light other is 4 amp light. I can't seem to control dim and brightness.

When I plug the laptop to bike and configure with software there is no options in the ports to setup aux2 lights. It can only show I can only set up one 1 set of aux lights...

I cant control the dim and bright because it is during the day?
  10. ckindt

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have a Gen 1, Version 2. That is the predecessor to Gen 2, V1. Both are silver.
  11. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also gen 2 has triangle plugs and the two plugs are red and blue. Just went through this with twisted throttle. 3rd package was the charm.
    deadflagblues likes this.
  12. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    As mentioned, Gen2 devices have the triangular MT connectors, and Gen1 (2-wire and 3-wire) have the Amp Superseal connectors. The Gen1 3-wire devices and the Gen2 devices are both silver, but the Gen2 is longer and has Red/Blue/Yellow/White circuits, while the Gen1 has Red/Orange/Yellow/White. Gen1 units ship in a white bag, Gen2 units ship in a black bag. Full details are here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/ezcan-generation-2-hardware-launch-software-updates.1389151/

ezCAN Gen1 units only support control of a single set of auxiliary lights, while Gen2 support 2x sets of independent auxiliary lights.

Brightness control on all units should be settable during the day and the night. Hold the Wonderwheel left until you see the lights do a quick double flash (about 3s) and then scroll up and down to adjust the brightness. If they are always either 100% or 0%, then you may possibly have the 3-wire mode enabled for 2-wire lights. Try turning this off to see if the brightness adjusts as expected.
  13. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an ackward question... Is the canSMART (1st gen) is similar to the ezCAN 2nd gen? What are the differences if they are not the same... Thank you
  14. ckindt

Oddometer:
  15. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    Which doesn't entirely answer the question. IIRC canSMART is a 3 wire Gen 1 ezCAN. The connectors/terminals used on the Gen2 ezCAN are the same as those used on the canSMART.
  16. ckindt

Oddometer:
    Is there a question in there somewhere?
    :hmmmmm:patch
  17. Tremblay

Oddometer:
    CoOISIY had one, not me. emphasis added

18. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    CANSmart (Gen1):
    • Fixed configuration (Aux lights 1, horn, brake, Aux lights 2)
    • 2x 10A continuous, 20A short duration (Aux lights 1, horn) and 2x 4A continuous (Brake, Aux lights 2)
    • Each circuit can be set to "simple circuit override", i.e. an ignition switched output
    • 3-way MT connectors on Aux 1 & 2, 2-way MT connectors on brake & horn
    Hex ezCAN (Gen2):
    • Fully flexible configuration - any output circuit can be any function (Aux 1 left/right/pair, Aux 2 left/right/pair, brake, horn, accessory, and more to come....)
    • 4x 10A continuous, 20 short duration circuits (but system limited to 25A continuous total current)
    • 3-way MT connectors on all 4 circuits
    The Gen2 can do everything the Gen1 CANSmart does, and more.
    deadflagblues likes this.
  19. CoOlSlY

CoOlSlY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, clear enough.
  20. Y767

Y767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As noted elsewhere in this thread there are some significant differences between the Ezcan Gen I (three wire) and the Cansmart. The Cansmart instructions (linked previously in this thread), while useful, do not give the correct information for the Ezcan.
    Has anyone found an equivalent instruction/user manual for the Ezcan? I can’t find one on the Hex websites.