Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the bikes with a Multi Controller (wonderwheel) it is really easy, as they are all the same:
    • Wonderwheel left for 3s to adjust Aux Lights 1 brightness
    • Wonderwheel right for 3s to adjust Aux Lights 2 brightness (CANSmart & Gen2 devices only)
    • When in brightness adjusting mode, scroll up & down to increase & decrease brightness
    • Automatically exits brightness adjust mode when Wonderwheel not turned for 10s
    • Hold Turn Signal Cancel for 3s to toggle Aux Lights 1 on and off
    • Triple click Turn Signal Cancel to toggle Aux lights 2 on and off (CANSmart & Gen2 devices only)
    The ezCAN's which support this are the ezCAN for R1200LC/R1250, and the ezCAN for K1600/S1000XR/F750/F850.

There are differences on the bikes without a wonderwheel as they use the info button (i.e. F800, R1200 & Harley's). For the R1200 this is for the pre-LC R1200's (the "hexhead"/"camhead" bikes)
    • ezCAN (F800/R1200/Harley)
      • Enter brightness adjust mode - hold the info button until all lights flash 2x quickly (about 5s)
      • Increment brightness of Aux lights 1 by clicking the info button
      • Increment brightness of Aux lights 2 by holding in the clutch and clicking the info button (Gen2 only)
      • To toggle Aux Lights 1 on & off, hold the info button in until the lights toggle on/off (about 7s)
      • To toggle Aux Lights 2 on & off, hold the clutch in and then hold the info button until the lights toggle on/off (about 7s)
    • CANSmart (F800/R1200/Harley)
      • Enter brightness adjust mode - hold the info button until all lights flash 2x quickly (about 2s) [different to ezCAN]
      • Increment brightness of Aux lights 1 by clicking the info button [same as ezCAN]
      • Increment brightness of Aux lights 2 by holding in the clutch and clicking the info button [same as ezCAN]
      • To toggle Aux Lights 1 on & off, triple click the info button [different to ezCAN]
      • To toggle Aux Lights 2 on & off, hold the clutch in and then triple click the info button [different to ezCAN]
  2. Y767

Y767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this info, thatHexguy. I have a Gen1 device on my R1250GS.

I’m sure I’m being a bit slow here, but I think my problem is that I don’t really understand the different channel configurations and how the auxiliary lights need to be wired to get the various controls and clever flashing functions to work. I would find it so much easier to consult a user manual for the Ezcan rather than having to take my laptop out to the garage, connect it up to the device, scroll through the configuration software while trying to decide which one of the 60+ instructional videos on the Hex YouTube channel might contain the information I need.
    I’m sure I will get to grips with it eventually, but at the moment I’m getting a bit frustrated.
  3. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have the frustration of how to configure the device. I don't have a laptop computer so I have to set my desktop computer up in the garage (PIA). Is there a way to connect the device to a smart phone? Maybe a cable compatible with the phone that would plug into the Hex and of course an App on the phone???

Jon
    side-burn likes this.
  4. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I just ordered the Gen 2 Ez Can from the BeemerShop. I'm so looking forward to wiring things & not have relays hidden everywhere like Easter eggs.
    deadflagblues and side-burn like this.
  5. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You’ll love it. Super easy to install and configure.
    deadflagblues and Huzband like this.
  6. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    Help! I bought a EzCan May 2017 - had it installed and have been delighted. I heard there is a new update so connected my computer to the unit ans get the message "The selected date is not recent enough". What does this even mean?

If I now have to pay for an update, I'll not be happy....but if that's the case why doesn't it say so?

2014 BMW GS
  7. Electrical

Electrical Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto for me EzCAN from Beemershop. Very impressed with it!
    side-burn likes this.
  8. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    There are only really two ways to wire up the lights, either as an left and right light (2 circuits), or as a light pair (1 circuit). The choice is mostly going to be driven by what else you want to connect to the ezCAN. The only feature that required left and right light circuits is if you want only a single light to turn off when one of your turn signals is active.

There is one additional factor to take into account with Gen1 devices - if you are using a set of lights with 3-wire dimming (e.g. Clearwater, Denali 2.0, Cyclops Optimus) and you want to have a left and right circuit, then you should use the Red and White circuits (assuming you lights draw 4A or less).

Hopefully the software is intuitive enough to guide you through the process, but typically it would go something like,
    1. What do I want to connect to the ezCAN?
    2. Select the appropriate circuit functions
    3. Set the circuit fuses according to the load on each circuit
    4. Configure the settings for each function
    Noted on the manual, or quick setup guide, that could be included in the bag.
    deadflagblues likes this.
  9. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    That is a strange message. I'll pick this up with you on the support ticket that you've logged.

Software and firmware updates are free.
  10. Y767

Y767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks thatHEXguy. Am I correct in thinking that the only channels that can be set up to dim, flash, or vary brightness, are either the red channel only, or the orange channel only, or the combined red and orange channels?
  11. River-Runner

River-Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On a R1200GSA LC - if you adjust lights via Wonder Wheel, does the system reset to your default settings when the motor is turned off and on? Default meaning the settings I chose via a laptop computer?
  12. side-burn

Oddometer:
    @thatHEXguy I would LOVE the feature to flash the light with the active indicator. I have Rigid side LEDs and if they flashed with the indicators it would be an even greater safety feature from the side and when changing lanes.

Any plans for this?
    thatHEXguy likes this.
  13. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    No, you can allocate the "Auxiliary lights" function to any of the output circuits. It depends on the mix of accessories you have and what their current requirement is. On Gen1 the Red & Orange circuits can deliver up to 10A continuous, and the Yellow & White up to 4A continuous.

The Aux lights circuits will always work together, regardless of which colour circuit is allocated the function. Here are some options
    • Red & Orange for Aux lights left and right (which leaves you the choice of brake on yellow and accessory on white)
    • Red for Aux lights pair (which means you could put a soundbomb on orange, brake on yellow and accessory on white)
    • Yellow & White for Aux lights left and right (which leave you with a high power horn and high power accessory option)
    • White for Aux lights pair (which leaves you with a high power horn, high power accessory and a brake option)
    • Red & White for Aux lights left and right (use this option for left/right 3-wire lights, and you can still have a high power horn or high power accessory and a brake circuit)
    As you can see, there are options available and the options are there to allow different combinations of accessories, depending on the power requirements

This is all much easier with Gen2 devices, as all the outputs can give up to 10A continuous (25A total continuous system limit), so any function can be allocated to any circuit.
  14. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    It stores the settings when they are changed via the Wonderwheel. Just do take note that it adjusts the setting for the current mode. There are four intensity settings for the front aux lights, namely high and low beam for day and night. So if it is night time and you adjust the brightness of your high beam via the Wonderwheel, only that setting is adjusted.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  15. Y767

Y767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are all channels that are configured for lights controlled by the wonder wheel, etc. in the same way at the same time, or can each channel be controlled separately?
  16. side-burn

Oddometer:
    Yes all controlled by wonder wheel at different times in slight variations using the turn signal button on the bars. Read his post on the page, it answers everything you need to know.
  17. Y767

Y767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ? ezc5.jpg Side-burn, I have read his post but unfortunately it doesn’t make it clear to me whether separate channels can be controlled separately. If I understand you, you are saying they can be.
    However, on my GenI device, if I configure each channel for a separate light (as in the attached pic) and wire a separate light to each channel, there is just the one configuration panel displayed, ,"Auxiliary Lights One" with red, orange, yellow and white spots in the header bar. There are not separate configuration screens for each channel, so it seems to me that all channels/lights will have the same set-up and will take the same command instruction from the bike's switches at the same time. If the channels/lights can be controlled set up and controlled separately, I would expect to see configuration panel for each individual channel.
    If I'm wrong, I'd be grateful if someone would point me to where I can find details of which channel takes instructions from which switches and how to set up the channels separately?
  18. side-burn

Oddometer:
    See below. In general you can have two sets of lights. AUX 1 and 2. Looks like you have all as AUX 1. There isn’t 4 separate options but there are 2. I’m speaking for a Gen II as the Gen I only have 1 I believe.

Sorry if I misunderstood your configuration and Gen version.

19. Y767

Y767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No worries, Side-burn, it’s quite difficult explain clearly in words. However, as stated by thatHexguy in his second bullet point, the Gen I device (which I have) does not have the Aux 2 light configuration which the Gen II and Cansmart have. So as I said, I think that all circuits configured as “auxiliary lights one” on the Gen I device will be configured and operated as a single set. I’m hoping someone who has experience of setting up the device can confirm hat I’m correct or otherwise.
  20. side-burn

Oddometer:
    Yea I think you’re right. :-)