Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, this is correct. On a Gen1 ezCAN, there is only control for one set of auxiliary lights and if configured in the way you have it, then all circuits will work in unison and all can be controlled via the Wonderwheel and toggle on and off with the turn signal cancel button. On Gen1 ezCANs it is not possible to independently control two sets of auxiliary lights.

Each circuit that is allocated to the same function operates in the same way and gets its input from the same switches/wonderwheel/etc. i.e. if there are two "Aux lights 1" circuits, they will have the same intensity setting and respond to the same controls (e.g. Wonderwheel and turn signal cancel button).

Maybe to put it another way, each circuit is allocated to a particular function, and each function has a panel for configuration. Any function will operate in a consistent way regardless of which circuit it is on.

Gen1 has a limited set of functions that can be allocated to each circuit (due to the hardware on Gen1 devices). Gen2 has exactly the same hardware for each circuit which means any available function can be allocated to any circuit.
  2. ckindt

ckindt Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, you are correct. You added all of the electrical circuits to the "Aux 1 Lights" group, so all circuits have the same properties applied and respond in unison.

Think of it like this: there are only so many pre-determined configuration groups, each with their own properties, and you can only select which electrical circuit you want in each group. The Gen 1 device only has on group for lights. If you want two independent groups, you need a CANSmart on Gen 2 ezCAN
  3. Y767

Y767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all, it’s making sense to me now.

If I want the right side lights only to flash with the rh direction indicator/flasher and the left side lights with the lh indicator/flasher I assume I connect the rhs lights to rh light channels ( ie red and yellow in my pic above) and vice versa?
  4. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    Yes, Red and Yellow will be left hand side, and Orange and White will be right hand side. Note that currently the ezCAN only supports turning the relevant aux lights off when the turn signal is flashing (for greater turn signal visibility).
  5. Y767

Y767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks thatHEXguy, I think I’ve got it now.
  6. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    Update - I deleted and reloaded the Hex software and now it works fine. I've gone through the new Rev and can see the new functionality. I need to spend some for time with it now.
  7. Y767

Y767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thatHEXguy,

I do have a couple more questions which I hope you might be able to help with:

1. With the Ezcan Gen I device on my R1250GS, can I control heated clothing and auxiliary lights separately?

2. On a previous page in this thread I think you said that it would be possible to daisy chain Ezcans to make more circuits available:
    a) on the R1250GS, would you daisy chain them by connecting them in series using the Ezcans’ bike connectors between the bike’s TPS unit and the TPS harness connecto, in the same way a single Ezcan would normally be installed?
    b) would daisy chained Ezcan provide any additional separate channel configurations that can be operated by the bike’s controls, or would it simply mean that more channels would be operated together?

3. Could one of the wires in the Ezcan TPS unit connector cables be used to connect a live trigger wire for a relay for some other accessory not connected through the Ezcan?

I’m probably trying to be a bit too clever now, but I’d be interested to know what the answers are.

Cheers
  8. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    There is no dedicated heated gear function at this time, so the two options you have are to use an Accessory circuit (switched ignition) or an Aux Lights circuit (but this has some complications). You won't be able to effectively parallel Aux Lights and heated gear on a Gen1 ezCAN.

Yes, that is exactly correct - you can daisy chain them on the vehicle connector.

No, they will still respond to the same data coming from the vehicle, so something like Aux Lights One functions will still work in unison, even if from different ezCANs. If you went this route, then make the second one a Gen2 and you'll have more flexibility.

You could have different (but non-changing) settings that you configure from the PC software for each ezCAN though. i.e. you could have a 0% on low beam light on the one ezCAN and a 50% on low beam light on the other, but as soon as you adjust them from the Wonderwheel they will both adjust intensity.

This would be extending beyond the specified operation of the ezCAN, so I'm not going to make a specific recommendation.
    side-burn likes this.
  9. Y767

Y767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks thatHEXguy,

and I understand the position you’ve taken in response to my question 3.
  10. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a very strange issue with the gen 2 ezcan. My tpms sensors take a long time to register the psi. The front is usually within a few minutes. The rear sometimes will give the tire pressure warning, but it will eventually register a pressure.

I disconnected the ezcan and I had both sensors register within 100 feet. Not the case once I reconnected it.

This is a 2016 GS/A. I am running 2 auxbeam lights and a gps
  11. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    You should log a ticket with support and they can walk you through some options. The first thing to do is to isolate whether this is purely ezCAN related or lights/wiring related.

Some ideas to check out:
    • Try disconnecting all the ezCAN outputs and check the behaviour (if okay without the accessories, then try to isolate which accessory causes the problem)
    • Try turning off the auxiliary lights by holding the turn signal cancel button until the lights turn off, then check
    • Try setting the lights to full brightness, then check.
  12. GSbyname

GSbyname Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3 possible causes:
    1. Physical - Ezcan connectors aren't making good, reliable, electrical connections, so TPMS signal not getting passed through to computer.
    2. RFI - Ezcan is creating radio interference which confuses/interrupts TPMS.
    3. Faulty Ezcan - corrupting TPMS signal.
    If disconnecting all downstream devices (lights, etc) from Ezcan doesn't fix it, any of above could cause it. If not, my bet is faulty appliance (light) wiring or unit is overloading Ezcan so that TPMS signal is "swamped" by Ezcan traffic/noise & can't get through.
    IMO, design of Ezcan should have failsafe that ensures that TPMS is not compromised. Does it?
  13. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Originally I was sent a gen 1 by twisted throttle. After I installed and talked to them that it wasn't a gen 2, they said to keep it on the bike till they could get me a gen 2. I had zero issues with the gen 1 installed.

Now at one point disconnecting all accessories and keeping the ezcan still hooked up did register the tpms once with in 100 feet. It wasn't repeatable. The tpms will eventually over some time give a tire pressure. Still waiting on further instruction.
  14. GSbyname

GSbyname Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Question for ThatHexGuy: Is it possible/likely that you can/would offer Ezcan configuration via web browser to your website? That way people without "proper computers" (eg: only have iOs or Android tablets/phones, not PCs/Macs) could register/configure Ezcan.
    Or, an iOs version of the software?
    Getting my bike next to a Mac or PC to do s/w configuration is a logistic challenge.
    Website-hosted configuration would solve that problem for me, & I suspect, many others.
  15. irishrover

irishrover Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Holland,Austria, New York, Dublin,Phnom Penh

How do you know if you have a Gen One or Two?
    Is there an upgrade available or even possible??

Thanks
  16. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
  17. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is detailed in this thread somewhere, just search. Basically the Gen 2 is longer with 3 pin connectors. Upgrade is not possible as it is more than just firmware. It involves new hardware. It is well worth it IMHO.
    Dale402 and Huzband like this.
  18. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    where is the cheapest place to buy a Gen II unit for a hexhead 1200GS ?
  19. side-burn

side-burn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought my from The Beemer Shop. Great folks, shipped same day I ordered.
    JimVonBaden and Huzband like this.
  20. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    I just ordered from there, thanks Side-burn!
    side-burn likes this.