1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Aoitsukinosuke

Aoitsukinosuke n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm terribly sorry. I missed the "ezcan for HD" part in the beginning of the video.
    Thank you.
    mouthfulloflake likes this.
  2. luca9277

luca9277 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im really struggling with the installation here.. my bike has a box only under the seat..
    The only connector that’s tits is the one that apparently terminates into a dummy one..
    Where do I plug the unit?

Attached Files:

3. luca9277

Oddometer:
    I plugged it like this, which seems to be the only way possible but nothing seems to be working (ezcan works but doesn’t control lights)

Attached Files:

4. Y767

Y767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    luca9277, search "hexinnovate" in YouTube and you'll find the factory YouTube channel with a full set of instructional videos for the Ezcan, including one showing how to install on your bike, and how to configure the Ezcan to do what you want it to do. Good luck.
    Huzband and deadflagblues like this.
  5. emidyl

emidyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    plenty to watch, not very difficult seeing as I was able to do it. half an afternoon, get some connectors..
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hex+ezcan+installation
  6. luca9277

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys,
    I’ve watched all the videos, actually the physical installations in indeed easy.
    My issue is that no matter what I do none of the outputs will work.
    I’m trying to control some 3rd party Led lights.
    The lights are working fine but once I plug them in the ez-can nothing happens.
    I’ve configured/reset the system multiple times, none of the 4 outputs will turn them on..
    They are just 40w each so no crazy power.. the red/orange circuit should handle it fine.
    I start wondering whether the Unit itself is faulty.
    The led is solid green so that should mean it is working fine..
  7. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this a new ezCAN? Does it have the triangle plugs? Each channel can be configured to handle X amount of watts on the GEN II ezCAN. You should see a blinking green light if it has power. Also are they three wire lights you are hooking up to the three wire ezCAN? The orange in the Gen 1 will handle 10 amps and you must configure the channel for 10 amps. 80 watts is 6.6 amps so you are fine using 10 amps on the channel.

EDIT: make sure it is turned on by holding the turn signal button in. You can see power on the unit but if the turn signal button was held in it turns the light channel off and on.
    bobw likes this.
  8. Y767

Y767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at the pics it's a GEN 1 Ezcan (it's got flat plugs, not triangular), in which case I believe the red and orange channels can each be configured for up to 10 amps continuous, and the other two channels are limited to max 4 amps each. LAFS makes a good point about checking that the channel configured for the lights is switched on using the indicator cancel button. I've been caught out by that myself.
    LAFS likes this.
  9. luca9277

Oddometer:
    Turns out I’ve mistakenly received the unit for the oil cooled model..
    Swapped for the LC model and everything works fine!
    bobw, thatHEXguy, bigjohnsd and 3 others like this.
  10. TEXASHILLCOUNTRY

TEXASHILLCOUNTRY n00b

Oddometer:
    I have the Clearwater Erica and Krista lights. My ezCan Gen2 has the 3 wire Stub connectors.
    Do i use 1 connector for all 4 lights are 2 connectors for the 4 lights on my 2016 r1200gs
  11. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can configure it however you want. If you combine lights you just need to program each channel for the proper max current draw. The more channels you configure the more individual control you have for brightness, on/off, etc.
  12. TEXASHILLCOUNTRY

TEXASHILLCOUNTRY n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank side-burn i will use 1 Red connector for my Erica's because they draw 5 amps each at full power and a Blue connector for my Krista's and set it for 6amps because they draw 3 amps each.
    side-burn likes this.
  13. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are those lights the only thing you'll be connecting to your ezCAN? Do you want the left and right hand side lights to operate independently? Will you be adding other lights (like a brake light) later?

I tend to think about lights in terms of riding lights (which are typically on all or most of the time) and spot lights which turn on, or go to full brightness with the high beam. So say you wanted to run the Erica's as spots that are off when in low beam and on when in high beam, and your Krista's are your running lights. Let's assume the Krista's are mounted close to the turn signals, so you want them to turn off when the turn signals are active.

If you start looking at the other feature options for lights, then you might decide that strobing the Erica's is just too bright/distracting for other road users, and if you happen to hit the horn at night you don't want those to strobe as it could affect your ability to see properly. Additionally, if you have hazards on, you are possibly stationary without the engine running, so you don't want the Erica's to flash with the hazards to prevent your battery running down.

On the Krista's (riding lights in this example) you might want extra visibility during the day, so you could enable the modulation feature and configure how much it modulates the lights to your preference.

If all of those things were your preference, then you might end up with a configuration something like this, with the Krista's on Aux Lights 1 with independent left/right lights and the Erica's as Aux Lights 2 as a pair, and the fuses set appropriately:

upload_2020-1-17_0-12-17.png

When you ride you can get a feel for whether you are happy with the exact intensity settings and adjust them to your preference using the Wonderwheel.

So that is an example setup, with a certain way of thinking, but everyone has their own preferences. Hopefully this helps!
    LAFS likes this.
  14. TEXASHILLCOUNTRY

TEXASHILLCOUNTRY n00b

Oddometer:
    I WILL RUN MY RED 3 WIRE STUB CONNECTOR AND MY BLUE 3 WIRE CONNECTOR FOR MY 2 SET OF LIGHTS on my 2016 R1200GS.
    ONE LAST QUESTION DO I RUN THE RED CONNECTOR FOR THE LEFT ERICA AND LEFT KRISTA LIGHTS AND THE BLUE FOR THE 2 RIGHT SIDE LIGHTS?
    ARE THE RED CONNECTOR FOR BOTH LEFT AND RIGHT ERICA LIGHT AND THE BLUE CONNECTOR FOR LOWER LEFT AND RIGHT KRISTA LIGHTS?
    Thanks for everyone's help
  15. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    The circuits are configurable, so you can set them up for either one of these two options.

If you put the two left lights onto the Red circuit and two right lights onto the Blue circuit, then the lights will work in unison and you can have only one side turn off when the turn signal is active (if this feature is turned on). In this case you would have a circuit configuration like this:

upload_2020-1-17_22-55-17.png

You can then configure the intensity and features as desired. Note that the image above shows the factory default settings, except 3-wire dimming mode is enabled (by default it is off).

If you want to control the brightness of the Erica's & Krista's separately, then you can use the Aux Light pair functions for the Red & Blue and put both Erica's on Red and both Krista's on Blue. In this case you would configure the circuit selection like this:

upload_2020-1-17_22-57-50.png

With this configuration you can use the Multicontroller wheel to adjust the brightness of each set of lights independently, and you will be able to toggle Aux Lights 1 and 2 on & off independently. Hold the turn signal cancel for 3s to toggle Aux Lights 1 on & off, and triple click the turn signal cancel to toggle Aux Lights 2 on & off. Multicontroller left for 3s allows you to adjust the brightness of Aux Lights 1 and Multicontroller right for 3s allows you to adjust the brightness of Aux Lights 2.

Attached Files:

16. heyyrick

heyyrick n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently purchased the Denali CANsmart for my 2018 R1200 GS and I'm using all circuits with two lights, horn, and brake light. I now want to install a wireless charger and possibly some other electronics down the road. I saw previous posts about doing a daisy chain with 2 Gen II ezCans, but does anyone here know if I can daisy chain a Denali CANsmart with a Gen II ezCan to run additional accessories? Or am I better off going with a fuse block like the Denali PowerHub2 or PDM60 to run additional accessories?
  17. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    We need an EZCan super that has 6 or 8 channels!!! I’m needing another for a phone charging puck. I have the others tied up in lights and brake.
    srv256ss likes this.
  18. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    You can daisy chain two ezCAN's (or CANSmarts, or ezCAN and CANSmart) together and configure them separately. Is that a GenI CANSmart? The GenI CANSmarts have a fixed configuration,
    • Aux Lights 1 pair
    • Horn
    • Brake
    • Aux Lights 2 pair
    Do you have two separate sets of lights that you run at different brightness levels? An alternative (although this might not work for your setup) is to connect all your lights to a single circuit and use the "Simple Circuit Override" on the GenI CANSmart to make the other circuit a 12V switched output for accessories.
    LAFS likes this.
  19. virkdoc

virkdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do i daisy chain the Hex? I upgraded to a new one now. Is it possible to daisy chain the old gen 1 I think with the new one?
  20. heyyrick

heyyrick n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Deanli CANsmart Gen II hooked up to the D4 & D2 lights (at different brightness levels), horn, and brake light. I just bought the Moto Powerpuck and want to hook it up to a switched output, so I'm looking at buying the new Gen II ezCAN. It sounds like you're saying I can daisy chain a new Gen II ezCAN onto the Gen II CANsmart and plug the Moto Powerpuck into the ezCAN....right??