Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. attila_66

attila_66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Possibly bug with HexCan Gen I 3 wire.
    Last Friday I made a FW update with 2003.1 software. There is "engine brake" (stop light) addition.
    Today I made a small trip with bike and see that while making engine brake horn (connected to Hex) beeps like 2 times in a second.
    I already sent log file to EZ Hex Can. Wait for an information.
  2. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll check out the logs and respond on the support ticket.
  3. birdie_xx

birdie_xx Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like how the aux lights flash with the hazard lights (if you choose to). Wish there was the same for the aux brake lights ...I have the Skene lights plugged to the Gen I
    thatHEXguy likes this.
  4. pchGS

pchGS Mark

Oddometer:
    Great Thread makes me glad I made the decision to purchase the Gen2 even though I bought it before I found this thread. Just stumbled on it when I was just reviewing everything for the installation on my RTLC. Whoops I mean GSLC :ricky
    Super easy-peasy set up.
    I do have a couple of questions though:
    1)
    I currently don't have the horn directly hooked up to the unit but have the circuit activated to take advantage of the flash option, can I run another accessory off of this circuit and still take advantage of the flash option with the stock horn wiring?
    2) I may have seen this is this thread but I don't remember it, the greed led on the unit flashes even when the bike is off, is this normal and do I need to be worried about the power draw?
    Thanks!
  5. side-burn

side-burn Long timer

Oddometer:
    (1) You can make that channel function however you want. I use all 4 and do not have a horn connected. I have brake light, left side light (left turn), right side light (right turn) and front rigid LED.
    (2) Yes, normal and it is a tiny LED that would probably take forever to drain your battery. For any extended period you should use a tender anyway, so it's irrelevant pretty much.
    pchGS likes this.
  6. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    On the R1200LC ezCAN the horn is detected from the CAN bus data (the pre-LC R1200's require a horn detection wire). You can enable the strobe on horn function for the front lights and it will work regardless of what you have on the other circuits.

It draws around 750uA (typical average sleep current). We don't expect that to have a significant impact on battery life, although as @side-burn said, a battery tender is a good idea if the bike is standing for a while.
    pchGS likes this.
  7. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reporting this and testing the fix!

We have put up a new software release, v2003.2, which fixes this bug and a few other issues we picked up since the release. Please make sure you are using the latest software when configuring your ezCAN or CANSmart.
    attila_66 likes this.
  8. birdie_xx

birdie_xx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you :clap
  9. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried to update my Gen 1 EZCan as well.

Downloaded the new Firmware to my Laptop just fine.

Connected EZCan to Laptop and initiated Update - Got an error message halfway through.

Nothing worked. no green LED on EZCan, Red/White flashing LED instead.

Advised HEX, sent Logs etc

Hex sent an older edition of the Firmware to try.

Downloaded and tried upload to EZCan - same result

Sent Logs to HEX

Awaiting further instructions.
  10. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Received and Installed my warrantied Hex EZCan.

Original was a Version one with two-wire connectors, second was a Version one with three-wire flat connectors requiring a change to the accessory leads. This, my third is a Version Two, and second warranty unit. The Version Two has a different triangular three-wire connector requiring another change to the accessory leads.
    Both of the first two units failed while trying to conduct a firmware update.

Updated the Firmware, Installed, Changed the accessory leads, and tested. All good!