Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. zekester63

zekester63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also observed this issue (similar LED you posted a link to), and finally removed the light because I didn't want to deal with it any longer. Replaced it with some other lights that don't have the running light feature, so now they're only on with the brakes, which is fine since that's primarily what I want people to see.
  2. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    As always, the HEX trouble desk has been most helpful in attempting to resolve my issue described in several posts above. The issue turns out to be the LED Light I am using as an auxillary Tail/Brake Light.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On July 14, 2020, at 15:51, "HEXezCAN.mojohelpdesk.com" wrote:
    A comment has been added to your request:

Comment by: Duncan Drennan

Hi John,

You are on the latest software and your firmware is up to date. There was no firmware upgrade from v2003.2 to v2004.2 (only a software bug fix).

We can use the Diagnostics screen to drive a circuit directly. This takes all the ezCAN features out of the loop and we can isolate if this is an LED issue, a configuration issue, or something else. Can you please try the following for me:

1) Connect USB
    2) Leave ignition off
    3) Open the "Diagnostics" screen (from the hamburger menu in the top right)
    4) I see you have the brake light on the Yellow circuit, so please adjust the the Yellow slider under "Output circuit test" up just one notch on the slider. This will set the brake light to 10%. What does the brake light do ?
    5) Move the slider up one notch at a time (each step is another 10% brighter) and observe the light's behaviour. What does the light do over the range of the slider?

Kind regards,
    Duncan
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Duncan
    Thanks for your assistance.
    When I follow your instructions:

Slider @ 10%- 70% Flashing Light at each step.

Slider @ 80%, 90%, 100% Steady Light.

Stepping down from 100% to 0% Light Remains steady at each step until 0% when it goes off.

Repeated tests several times with similar results. One time no light at 10% & 20% stepping up, Another time had steady light at steps 70% and up.

John Langdell
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A comment has been added to your request:

Comment by: Duncan

Thanks John. That confirms that the issue has nothing to do with the configuration of the ezCAN, but actually relates to the actual light itself. There are some lights that don't like to be modulated. Typically these are lights which have some sort of internal flashing function, and it seems like the circuitry doesn't respond well to being turned on and off quickly.

If you want to double check for yourself that it is the light, you can always plug your front aux lights into the brake output and you will see that they respond consistently when stepping through the different intensity levels.

I'm assuming you have set the light (using its programming wire) to be a solid light? Beyond that I'm not sure there is much we can do to get this particular light working as a tail light with the ezCAN. There are very few lights that aren't compatible with the ezCAN, but from your description, this seems to be one of them.

Kind regards,
    Duncan

Thank you,
    Helpdesk Team
    ------------------------------
    Thanks again to the HEX folks that assisted me.

Does someone have a recommendation for an Auxillary LED Light that does work properly with the HEX EzCan as an Auxillary Tail and Brake Light for them?
  3. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    How many wires do you have on your light as potential connecting options?? Is it 2 wires (signal/ground) plus 3rd wire that changes the flashing pattern or do you have more options (ie. potentially sync wire and/or solid light wire)??

If you have 3rd, ie. flashing pattern wire, have you tried to set the light as solid steady light and then hook it up to EzCan?

Or, if you have separate wire for steady light, have you tried that option??

As for an alternative, although Clearwater clearly states that their Billie Jr requires Canopener to work, Billie Jr has only 2 wires and is modulated by Canopener, which in your case is EzCan, so Billie Jr may be worth to try it out if you can't wire your existing light to work to your satisfaction - ymmv... :deal
  4. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    My light is of the three wire variety, I have "programmed" it to be a steady light, which works fine at higher PWM levels. The brake light always works at 100%, it is only when using the running light function at low levels that there is an issue. Thanks for the heads up on the Clearwater light.
  5. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist Mehr Gelände Weniger Straße

Oddometer:
    No worries - one of the reasons why I chose Clearwater is to get entire aux lighting from same supplier so front Erica's are connected through Canopener and so is rear Billie Jr, all designed to be in sync and work together... :deal

Billie Jr pops in here and there as previously enjoyed piece so hopefully you can get one - it's worth it! :thumb
  6. Ccieurzo

Ccieurzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Denali B6 mounted and it works fine with my EzCan.
    thatHEXguy likes this.
  7. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey there Hex Guy... I have a V1 on my 2017 1200GS and want to know if these things just quit working. Was on a trip and buddy informed me that my Baja fog lights were out. Looked at home and noticed the flashing LED brake light strips were not working either (that's all I use the Hex for). Checked all connections and they looked fine and so did the wiring that I could see. Looked at the power line fuse and it looked OK but put a new one in anyway. Fired up the bike and lights were back on so chalked it up to a fuse issue. Haven't ridden after that and after doing an oil change today, noticed the lights were not on again. Replaced the fuse and nothing worked. Did continuity testing on the fuse and it's not blown. Electrical was flowing through the fuse while tested on the work bench. I was thinking I may have worn through a wire somewhere but now, not so sure. Hex has been installed for at least a couple of years now and no issues and worked as it was designed.

Any suggestions? I am NOT mechanical at all and sure not good with electric except hooking this unit up was easy. Thanks, Bob
  8. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the LED on the ezCAN does not turn on to solid green when ignition is on, then it is not getting power correctly, either due to an external issue (wiring, which you seem to have checked) or some internal failure. From your description it sounds like you may have a hardware issue with the ezCAN, so I suggest you contact support and work through it with them. If it is a hardware issue and the device is within warranty support can organise a replacement unit for you.

One thing to check when it behaves badly is whether it starts to work exactly as expected when USB is plugged in. The USB and battery have a separate power path, so if one works and the other doesn't then it narrows down the possible issue.
    eddyturn and MrVvrroomm like this.
  9. Candubrain

Candubrain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Working with Ruan from HEX at the moment trying to fix my problem.

2018 BMW R1200 GS Adv
    HEX ezcan V1
    Denali B6 brake light

Set to California legal braking with flash on engine braking
    Running latest software/firmware

The aux brake light works fine when braking. But I can't get it to work when not using the brake just engine deceleration. I've tried dropping down 2 gears and snapping the throttle shut hard, but the engine braking function will not work.

Sent logs and screen shots and awaiting suggestion.

brian

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 1.36.23 PM.png
  10. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    • Are you testing when going over 50km/h (about 30mph)?
    • Does the "Flash on Emergency Stop" work as expected?
    • How are you checking it works? (buddy riding behind you, or possibly a dash cam pointed at the brake light?)
    The significant difference between how the light responds with an "Emergency stop" versus "Rapid Engine Braking" is that the Emergency Stop (when a brake is engaged) will keep flashing until the brake is released (if it is triggered). Rapid Engine Braking will flash 2x while both (1) speed is over 50km/h and (2) deceleration is over the threshold.
  11. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    I opened a ticket this morning US and nothing yet. I did plug in my laptop and all worked with the green light on the unit. Once I unplugged the laptop the lights went back out so I plugged it in again with ignition still on and the aux lights came back on. Unit is about 3 years old and had worked perfectly till now. Makes me think the power wire is broken somewhere but I sure hate to cut open your nice sheathing and soldering in a new wire with a new fuse holder.

I will wait to do as advised from the support ticket. Thanks. Love the Hex by the way...
  12. Candubrain

Oddometer:
    Yes I've tested it at speeds greater than 100KPH with hard deceleration.

Didn't test Emergency stop

My buddy was following, that is how I know that on normal braking my B6 flashes as per set up then goes solid.

Ruan has replied and is forwarding my logs to the developers for investigation.

Just a question as we in North America (USA does not permit it so because of that we in Canada don't get it) do not get BMW's emergency braking brake light flash, (turned off in the software) does this affect how the HEXezcan works?

thanks
    brian
  13. thatHEXguy

Oddometer:
    No, this will not affect the operation.

It is a bit of a blunt tool, but you could also try doing a "Restore defaults", reconfigure and test again.
  14. Candubrain

Oddometer:

Thanks, I did try that already
  15. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2018 BMW R1200R (All options) with Gen-1 3 wire EZ Can
    Accessories connected with Ez can: Cyclops 2 inch LED Aurora Driving lamps And LED Brake lights

Has anyone had an issue with the EZ Can causing main fuse to blow and making the left Kombi switch inoperable? (No turn signal, horn, abs, info etc)

Friend of mine had this happen, took the bike to the BMW dealer and the only way the bike would stop blowing the 7.5 amp fuse And restore function to the switch gear is to remove power to the Hex Ez Can.

Motoscan showed Kombi switch error and ANS yaw sensor error and also confirmed by the BMW scan report.

Will get some more information from him and re check the installation but the bike functioned for over 2 000 kms before this became an issue.

Update:

Upon checking today, the 30Amp fuse for the EZ Can was blown.

We Replaced it and it blew again so it looks like the Hex EZ Can after 2 months use is done

Will be calling for a Replacement.