Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Canopener and the EZCan are two different systems, with different design uses, though some parts are similar. The EZCan is designed to be flexible and handle a large variety of different lights and functions. The Canopener is designed to work with Clearwater add-ons. The Canopener is not for sale separately, nor is it designed with flexibility of other companies products in mind. In other words, they do not compare very well.
  2. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember the current is coming from the battery, not the Canbus. The EZcan hooks to the battery also. Unlikely you will exceed the bike's alternator power.
  3. MagyarBetyar

MagyarBetyar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The reason I ask is I already have a set of clearwater ericas using the canopener, but would like to add some more aux lighting and some aux turn signals/marker lights. I would like to avoid hacking into the wiring/ electrical system on the bike.
  4. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    While power is coming from the battery, canbus is and will control output. If you are over, the canbus will shut something down. Does not matter what switch is being used the canbus senses power or lack of and will shut a circuit down. So you are at the limit of your charging system and what canbus sets as a min/max load anywhere in the system and you will throw a code and shutdown that area of canbus.. This being some peoples issues of tapping or should I say over tapping the 12V ignition on from the tail light. It will take one extra lead but try two off it and it will generate a fault and a dash light. Been there wore the tee shirt. These bikes are very sensitive to under power from batter output. The alternator is not a beast in these bikes and you can hit the wall on them fairly easy with heated accessories and lighting depending on what you are using. Jacket liner, pants, gloves, seat, grips, aux lights, and any other gadgets and you can run up on the alternators ability to provide the charge canbus is looking for for normal operation.
  5. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I can see. The 10A channels have a Daytime and Nighttime setting for dimmness %. So when the lights on those channels come on if it is daytime you can have 80% on one channel and 60% on the other. Then when it turn night you can have one at 50% and the other at 60%. Or hold the wonder wheel over and adjust dimness to what you want. The 4A channels do not do that to my knowledge but I never tried to make them do it. However 2 10A channels are really a lot of output. Like I said I can run a set of D2 LED off EACH 10A channel. So depending on what your current lights draw you can use the other 10A for another set of lights with preset dimming or adjust to your needs. You will have to do the math for amps to volts but I bet you can run your current set and another set no issues from the ezCAN. Or add the light bar to a set on one 10A channel.
  6. SinR1

SinR1 Evil

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Looks like I would have to figure out a way with your last solution. Run the pair of BD lights off one channel with a spliter and then the light bar off the other.
  7. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So exactly what is the problem with Clearwater lights and the EzCan?

Jon
  8. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    it's really a shame that the EZCAN isn't a bit more dynamic in that I'd like to set the circuit amperage myself, have the ability to run 3x10A or 2x15A circuits instead of 2x10 and 2x5.
    Run a set of lights, rider and passenger heated gear and I've already exceeded it's capability. Would like even more if it could handle more amperage.
    But that's me and my wants.

With 100W heated jacket + heated gloves, I've already exceeded the 10A circuitry.
  9. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a response from the Hex guys to a question I submitted through their website. Tell them what you want to see and they might make it happen.

"Yes, the outputs on the ezCAN use PWM for setting the brightness of lights. Of course, this won't apply to an output that is configured for a horn.

We do plan to make more channel configuration options available in future, so please send us your requirements so that they can be considered when making those decisions. It would be best to use the contact details on the ezCAN web site: http://hexezcan.com/contact/

When you receive your unit, you'll notice it does not have a USB connector to which you can attach your phone. The USB is only used to configure the ezCAN settings, yes. [​IMG] In principle, the accessory output on the ezCAN can be used to charge your phone, but you'll need to connect an appropriate electrical interface. For example, you can wire a car cigarette lighter socket to the ezCAN output and plug in a car USB charger."
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is important information to share when you are asking a question.
  11. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I will, thanks!
  12. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    It'd be great if they made an app for Android/Apple which allows you to config the device.. makes it easier than carrying your portable computer around. Unless the app exists and I missed it?
  13. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. Yesterday the weather was finally nice enough for my first real ride with the EZ can. Swapped bikes with one of my riding buddies and they are correct that I need to turn up the brightness of my led license plate bracket. No way to do that without the laptop. Also could not get the inertia braking feature to activate even with hard downshifting. I think there is a sensitivity setting for that in the "extra settings".

Even better would be for the second generation EZcan to have bluetooth for configuration and viewing channel status on your phone.
    taz_va and trc.rhubarb like this.
  14. Tommy Gunn

Tommy Gunn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just took delivery of my '17 TB yesterday and had dealer provide me with Clearwater Krista/Erica combo lighting package.
    My review of this thread prompted a call to Clearwater and according to them, you can piggyback the CanOpener and the EZcan on the bike and have both systems.
    I'm not familiar with functionality of either of these canbus systems at this point so I'm asking.... what you think aobout piggyback config.?
  15. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a little trick to get around this.

The total output current of the two high power channels (which are rated as 10A continuous current each, i.e. 20A in total) can be divided up as you like between those two channels, so if you wanted to run 15A off one high power channel and 5A off the other high power channel you can do that. Just make sure you set your fuses correctly to avoid overloading the device.

This only applies to the two high power channels. The two low power channels are limited to 4A each.

I'd be interested to know if you do try this. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work, they are both just listening to the data on the CAN bus. The ezCAN is a totally passive listener and doesn't send any signals out onto the CAN bus (we don't want to mess with that!).

You can definitely run two ezCAN's together by just daisy chaining the CAN bus connectors....as long as you make sure you don't overload your battery & alternator.

You can run them off a splitter as you suggested, but there is not currently an option to control two sets of lights at different brightness's. The intensity of the light bar will be the same as the Squadron lights.

We're always tracking feature requests and actively working on new features (which can be delivered by software and firmware upgrades), so if you have a setup that you really want, drop us a line and we'll add it to the list: http://hexezcan.com/contact/
    G-Tex, LANDaemon, ErikMotoMan and 4 others like this.
  16. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome! I'm always happy to see a vendor come here and participate.

-jeff
  17. Liquidape

Liquidape Shiftless When Idle

Oddometer:
    Told ya that there was no way that they would want to be injecting signals on to the CAN bus.
    Tonyx01 likes this.
  18. Mago

Mago Growing Wiser..

Oddometer:
  19. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Mago

Mago Growing Wiser..

Oddometer:
    Is it possible through the software to strobe the lights at a certain frequency upon certain switch pressing? Or do you have to use the built-in default strobe that comes in stock?