Hex EzCan Accessory Manager

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by rattis, Aug 9, 2016.

1. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately not at this stage. We decided to integrate the Heated Gear with a dedicated control (the heated grip setting). There were two major benefits, (1) each control only does a single thing, and (2) the dash provides a visual feedback about the heat output.

Yes, there are certainly other ways to integrate the controls, and it is a possibility to make it all configurable, but that also has pros & cons.

If you do want a particular feature, then you can contact support with a feature request: https://www.hexezcan.com/contact-us/
  2. iliasp

iliasp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanx for the reply, thats the BMW auxiliary headlights switch i was taking about
  3. darthwhite8

darthwhite8 n00b

Oddometer:
    I was about to ask this!

It would be a great to have optional control of the heated kit temperature independent of the grip heater temp and the wonder wheel is a very ergonomic way to do this.

Presumably to activate this function we would need to give the excan controller two signals; one to tell the controller that heated kit control is required, and one to actually change the heat level. Otherwise all wheel controls (maps, media volume, etc) will also control the heated kit level, which would get annoying very quickly.

Logically the best button for that activation signal is the heated grips button, ideally coded as something like “if heated grips button is held down; wheel control up = temperature up, wheel control down = temperature down”

Thinking through, as it takes time for heated kit to change temperature and there is no way to provide visual feedback for the setting change I think it makes sense to provide 5 steps of heating (20% / 40% / 60% / 80% / 100%) at most, with a 3-5 second wait time between changing levels to give time for the heat change to take effect.

“Grips off = all heated kit off” should be kept as a safety feature (anyone else who’s had a jacked with a controller stuck on 100% mid ride will know why!)

I’m happy to be a tester for this feature if needed
  4. ambbmw

ambbmw Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like your idea. Otherwise, I may just keep the controller. I guess I can just give it a go with the grip switch and see what happens. Logically I guess it makes sense, but sometimes the grips can be way to warm and not so on the jacket.
  5. Adjustor

Adjustor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great plan. How would you connect the 2 wires coming from the HEXEZ into the 2 COAX “inputs” on the jacket? Normally the controller splits the signal; if we left the controller out of the installation, we need to go from 2 wires and split it to the 2 inputs on the jacket (jacket and gloves). We could go COAX to SAE, but that doesn’t really solve the problem. Thanks
  6. thatHEXguy

thatHEXguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of our beta testers bought a Gerbing Coil Cord Ext Plug and made an adapter to the ezCAN connectors like this:

upload_2020-10-20_22-19-7.png

You could do something like that and wire up to gerbing cables. The jack that they use is a common 5.5mm x 2.5mm DC plug (like many laptops have), so after you've checked the plug you might be able to pick up something from an electronics store. I don't have the polarity info for the connector on hand, but I suspect the inner pin is the +12V and the barrel is battery negative.

If you have something like that then you can decide whether to plug the jacket and gloves directly in, or whether to use the external controller.
  7. Adjustor

Adjustor Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    yes, great. Just found a splitter on Amazon that should work
    thanks