1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Hey Batter Batter! Tour of all 30 major league stadiums--in 6 weeks!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by SFKLR, Jan 26, 2008.

1. SFKLR

SFKLR Noob. Again.

Oddometer:
    I am deep into the planning stage--but not yet 100% comitted--to a 30 stadium baseball tour this summer. As far as I have been able to research on the web, no one has visited all 30 baseball stadiums (or even the 28 before expansion) on a motorcycle. Ever. Let alone in one season. And certainly not in the 42 days that I am planning to do it.

The hardest part of planning this trip was finding a schedule that fits. I really can't afford any more than 6 weeks off, and from what I can tell, it just cannot be done in a shorter time. Teams are on the road 1/2 the season, so hitting stadiums consecutively night after night is impossible. Acutally, I don't know that it can be done in 42 days the way I have it. Some days I would see a night game, then race through the night 600 miles to a day game three states away. And you can't always to the next nearest park: for example, in one particular four day stretch, I'll hit KC, then up to Chicago, then back down to St. Louis then back up to Milwaukee. It won't be picturesque--probably all superhighways, all day long. A brutal endurance challenge of 15,500 miles. All major cities, of course, and therefore I'm unlikely to camp much. One rainout along the way and whole schedule falls apart. Any mechanical trouble would probably derail the plan too.

What I would like from the ADV community is for you to just join me for a game in your town. Always more fun to watch a game with others. I'll reveal later the schedule that I so painstakingly put together, and hopefully you can join me at your team's park on that night. Let's have a dog and a beer and root for the home team. Baseball has a black eye right now, but it will be back. The fans take it back and give it to the next generation of heroes.

In some towns I could use a place to stay--though I guarantee that with this schedule I will probably have to leave at the crack of dawn the next day. I'll tell you later why I'm doing this trip, but part of me just wants to do what has never been done before--and then enjoy the ride reports of the next guy or gal trying to do it in fewer days.

In summer 2005 I rode to Alaska and back (up the coast, and roughly down the Continental Divide, 16,500 miles in 2 1/2 months) on my KLR and had the best time ever. That was a soul searching trip. Ever since then, I have been content and confident about everything I do. This trip will be hard work, but fun too. I'll be on an r1150gs adventure--because that's the only bike I own. I'll be bringing Ichrio Suzuki with me--the best hitter in baseball, and a great international ambassador. I picked him up in Seattle on that Alaska trip. More details soon....

[​IMG]
  2. PirateT7

PirateT7 gone.

Oddometer:
    Take ... me out to the ballllll game....
    :lurk
  3. NatsFan

NatsFan Adventure Apprentice

Oddometer:
    Sounds awesome, cant wait to see how you get the logistics down. This is a life long goal for me. A new one each year would be ok with me. I saw the Red Sox in the Bronx last year. It's probably better to do it all in one season at the rate they are building new parks. I'll check back often to see when you will be in D.C. New park baby! I'm stoked!
  4. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure you go to visit our little town chapel...
    [​IMG]

:D
  5. Lance Hardwud

Lance Hardwud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm always up for a Cubs game.:freaky ...sounds like a awsome trip good luck !

Your on your own for a White Sox game though.....
  6. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    Me and my uncle (UncleLongWays) have gotten to most of them over the last three years (yes on motorcycles), and we don't restrict ourselves to just the Major Leagues. Heading down to the South East this fall to pick up a few of the stragglers. Lots more on the website, but here's a few pics

Covey Field Salt Lake City
    [​IMG]

Raley Field Sacremento
    [​IMG]

Whatever its called Oakland
    [​IMG]

The B.O.B. (Chase Field) Phoenix
    [​IMG]

Petco Park San Diego
    [​IMG]

Dodger Stadium Los Angeles
    [​IMG]

ATT Park San Francisco
    [​IMG]

Safeco Seattle
    [​IMG]

Fenway Boston
    [​IMG]

Yankee Stadium :clap
    [​IMG]

Camden Yard Baltimore
    [​IMG]

Comerica Park Detroit
    [​IMG]

Jacob's Field Cleveland
    [​IMG]

Wrigley Field Chicago
    [​IMG]

Miller Park Milwaukee
    [​IMG]
  7. nytrashman

nytrashman old and in the way

Oddometer:
    when you visit yankee stadium i can offer you a safe secure place to keep your bike (my garage) and if it is the summer of '09 not only will the new stadium be open but the train will run from my local train station directly to the stadium. for now, in with current stadium i would have to drive you to the stadium from my home in northen westchester. if your interested let me know.

George
  8. SFKLR

SFKLR Noob. Again.

Oddometer:
    So here is the schedule I have mapped out:

5/24 Oak
    5/25 LA
    5/26 Ana
    5/27 SD
    5/28 AZ
    5/29
    5/30 TX
    5/31 KC
    6/1 Chi Cubs
    6/2 St.L
    6/3 Mil
    6/4 Minn
    6/5 Chi Whi
    6/6 Det
    6/7 Tor
    6/8 Ptt
    6/9 NYY
    6/10 Bos
    6/11 NYM
    6/12 Cleve
    6/13 Cinn
    6/14 Balt.
    6/15
    6/16 Phi
    6/17
    6/18
    6/19
    6/20 Wash
    6/21 Atl
    6/22 Tampa
    6/23
    6/24 Fla
    6/25
    6/26 Hou
    6/27
    6/28
    6/29
    6/30 Colo
    7/1
    7/2 Sea
    7/3
    7/4 SF (4th of July!)

The gaps are due to schedule conflicts (Balt./Philly/Wash are close geographically, but schedules conflict) and due to geography (Fla, Hou, Colo, Sea, SF are friggin' far apart!). There is no way to do it faster; not if you start and end in California, at least.

I had to enter by hand each team's schedule on a spreadsheet, then tinker with columns to see if I could make home games line up consecutively. The 16 games in a row at the beginning of June are going to be tough. But the single biggest problem will be Atlanta day game, after a Washington night game. Ugh! Miami to Houston in 1 1/2 days won't be easy either. Other games are expected to be equally tough distance wise, and game times have not yet been determined. If anyone has researched this themselves, I would love to know if you've found days that could be shaved off the total. As it is, I don't mind finishing up on the 4th of July at my home team stadium! (I'll be wearing my SF road greys for each game of my road trip.)

This is the kind of trip that could (and probably should) be planned to the very last detail. I could buy game tickets now (but hoping to scalp or get some free); I could book motels near the park (but hoping to crash on nearby couches); I could schedule maintenance at dealerships just about the time I would need a change of oil or tire; and I could map out on the GPS exactly where the gas stations are in between, times of departure and arrival, freeways and exits, etc. I have already calculated miles between each. I would rather put those others off for now, but will need to research as departure gets closer.

PS - Nice job, Longways! (And UncleLongWays) :thumbup
  9. jingrah

jingrah Trying not to be a n00b

Oddometer:

Let me know when you get to ATL, we can ride to the game on our KLRs. I'm only a few miles from the stadium.:freaky
  10. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    We never had any issues getting tickets. Most had day-of-game tickets at the gate - scalper at Yankee Stadium and brokers for both Wrigley and Fenway. I did however book hotel rooms in advance in the cities where we planned on seeing a game. Used Holiday Inn almost exclusively, and using the frequent sleeper points we have cashed in a bunch of free nights each of the last two trips, and expect to do the same this year.
  11. B-Rob

B-Rob n00b

Oddometer:
    I was puting a schedule together to do 30 games in 30 days (just to see if it was possible) and I was finding it to be nearly impossible, but I can give you some knowledge I gained in that process. Look for days you can do 2 games in one day. Like a Day/Night double header in Chicago, New York, Baltimore/Washington, Oakland/SF, this can save you days on your trip and possibly get you to the next city just in time. I actually found April 30 and May 1 you could see 4 games in 2 days (NY/NY then Baltimore/Washington). I was able to schedule 22 games in 21 days, the west coast is where I ran into trouble. Let me know if you would like some help with the schedule.
  12. B-Rob

B-Rob n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, I can get you home 4 days earlier. I assume you live in SF area beacuse you start and end there?? Anyway, I changed it a little.

5-23 LAD
    5-24 SD
    5-25
    5-26 SEA
    5-27 OAK
    5-28 LAA
    5-29 ARZ
    5-30 TEX
    5-31 KC
    6-1 CHC
    6-2 STL
    6-3 MIL
    6-4 MIN
    6-5 CHW
    6-6 DET
    6-7 TOR
    6-8 NYY
    6-9 WAS
    6-10 PIT
    6-11 NYM
    6-12 BOS
    6-13 CIN
    6-14 CLE
    6-15 BAL
    6-16 PHI
    6-17
    6-18 COL (UGH)
    6-19
    6-20
    6-21 ATL
    6-22 TB
    6-23
    6-24 FLA
    6-25
    6-26 HOU
    6-27
    6-28
    6-29
    6-30 SF (30 in 39)
  13. SFKLR

SFKLR Noob. Again.

Oddometer:
    Wow! Nice work, B-Rob. That is a BRUTAL riding schedule though, and a lot more miles. But you definitely gave me an idea about the East Coast swing that might save me some miles.

However, Philly to Colorado to Atl? Geez! And SD to SEA in 2 days, then back to Oak the next night? Phew! Maybe Gary Egan, but not I! The beauty of setting a new record would be giving someone else the opportunity to break it.
  14. chiba

chiba FYYFF

Oddometer:
    What a great idea for a road trip. I really, really wish my own road trip plans didn't have me out of town when you're in B'more (definitely) and Washington (probably). I'm not leaving on my adventure til 2 June and most likely won't be back til the 21st or 22nd - back to work on the 23rd!

You're right - going from a DC night game to an Atlanta day game will be a challenge, but if you hit the road right after the Nationals game ends and get 200, maybe 250 miles down before you crash for some sleep, you should be able to make the first pitch at the Braves game.

Word of advice though - watch out for speed traps along I-85 in both Carolinas. Only speeding tickets I've ever gotten in either NC or SC have been along I-85 in the summer months. Either use a radar detector or keep the hammer under control!

Best of luck on your trip!!

--chiba
  15. SFKLR

SFKLR Noob. Again.

Oddometer:
    Great tip, thanks Chiba. Where is your summer adventure?
  16. B-Rob

B-Rob n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I kind of figured you wouldn't like that swing out to COL. If you are willing to leave on a different date, I have mapped out a schedule that does all 30 stadiums in 30 days. I also don't plan to do mine on a motorcycle, so I would have the help of sleeping while someone else is driving. Anyway, maybe we can meet up in MIN for the game.
  17. MakMan

MakMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What an awesome trip! I had something much smaller in mind for myself one of these years. I want to visit the AL and NL west and catch as much as I can in between but the focus is on the West coast.

The good news is that I think I can help you out on your swing through Philly and Baltimore. When your schedule is set in stone, let me know about Baltimore and Philly and I can probably put in a request at work for the company tickets to those two stadiums. We have offices in the Philadelphia and Baltimore areas and have season tickets to those two teams.

I may even be able to offer garage space and a crashing location while you're in the area.

I am an hour outside Philly but close to the major highways, etc and we have a bevy of motorcycle dealerships around in case you're in need of service while in this neck of the woods.
  18. chiba

chiba FYYFF

Oddometer:
    I'm doing a grand loop up to MA, across to IA, down through KS & AR to TX, then over to Atlanta via New Orleans and back home to Northern VA. 3 weeks starting 2 June.

--chiba