HIDs on a 640 thread??

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gordy, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Where is the thread where the guy (sorry.....can't remember who posted) bought the HIDs on e bay and installed them in his 640. I'm thinking that I need these and can't seem to find it.:scratch

While we are at it.........is this the best set-up we have seen so far??

Thanks,
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
  3. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Thanks Meat! That's the one I was looking for!:thumb
  4. BDR1

BDR1 YAMAHA

Oddometer:
    I just did (today) dual HID projectors on my XR650..........I'll get pics tomorrow.........:D
  5. dirty_sanchez

dirty_sanchez Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer:
    Gordy or anyone else intrested, drop me a PM and I'll fax over the wiring diagram I worked up for the electrical upgrades (Centech, HID's, Grips, Headlight Toggle, Relays, Gerbing, and blender for frozen roadside adult beverages) to you.

To offer a little update on the power usage after running my bike through the farkle bin, yesterday's 170 mile ride went without a hitch, dead battery, or blown fuse or speeding tickets.

For the majority of the day yesterday, I had the grips on low, the HID Low burning, as well as the Gerbing Jacket. I never had an issue.

Guess pulling a 11.1A load turning the engine from idle to 5500 revs injects enough juice into the battery.

Am feeling more comfortable with my electrical calculations now after yesterday's chilly walkabout.

Dirty
  6. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot, Dirty! PM sent.

I love the help on this site!:thumb
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    I will drop you a PM but I will also ask if you are going to write up a How-To thread on these mods, er, are ya?

Also, did you ever get a reply on the impact of reducing load on the regulator/rectifier (from the other thread) from your mentor? :ear
  8. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Gordy-

Check your fax.

Dirty
  9. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Got it. Thanks!!!

After looking it over....................
    I may have to take a hit of acid to get it all figured out.:lol3

Another cool mod a guy here (empedrado) has done is to put a button switch on the left switchgear to scroll through the modes on the trip computer. No more taking your hand off of the bars to get into the various modes.:nod

More stuff to do.:lol2
  10. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
  11. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    H-1 bulbs are on our bikes.

Glad you got the fax.

I'd go with the 4,000 to 5,000k color temperature bulbs. I think they have a 4,300k bulb-would be a good choice.

You'll have to drill out the removable plastic cover that mounts with a little 1/4 turn on the rear of each lamp housing- I think I used a 3/4" wood bit, then nest the rubber grommet that surrounds the HID wires into this hole. The grommet keeps the water out. You'll know what I'm talking about once you open the box.

I think I have the 6,000k bulbs, which are a skosh more blue-er than the lower color temperature bulbs which might not draw as much attention from the Man.

I've ridden past the Man numerous times at this point and have not gotten a second look.

The 4 to 5k bulbs also give off more lumens than a 6k bulb, and this is exactly what we want. I'd do a little more digging on the lumen output for various color temperatures before you pull the trigger on your rig.

Dirty
  12. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    dirty,

once you have the HID setup can't you change out the 6000K bulb for the 4300K? I don't know how much variety there is in HID bulbs - are they standardized like the halogens (H1, H3, etc.)? Here is an eBay auction for some 4300K bulbs:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-PH...3545136QQihZ016QQcategoryZ36476QQcmdZViewItem
    Philips should be ok blubs eh?

Came across this info from Sylvania on HID installs:
    http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerPro...rformance/Xenarc/InstallationInstructions.htm
    might help someone out; I will review later.
  13. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    A bulb is a bulb so long as they're both H1's.

The only potential issue I see is that the leads might be different from a no-name HID rig to a Hella, Phillips, or Osram. Or in the case of the Fleabay link you posted..the bulbs have no leads at all. I guess they rely on some sort of socket like the old school H4's. Now this may pose a problem.

Can't see there would be a problem replacing a burned out 6000k bulb with a 4300k bulb..as long as the leads are the same.

But even if they're not, most of us are handy with a soldering iron and some shrink tubing.

Dirty
  14. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    Geeze, what a day. I just got around to ordering the 4300K bulbs. Will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks Dirty!!!
  15. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    question: can i get the H1 kit and pop it in my BD twin headlight setup and turn their $450 unit into their $1000 unit?
  16. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    If the bulb fits-you must acquit.

I wouldn't think headlamp housing cares if it has an incandescent H1 bulb or an H1 HID bulb.

You just have to have enough real estate under the hood to securely mount the ballast which is the size of a deck of playing cards and a few relays triggered by the stock gauge wires fed by fatter wires for the load running from the battery.

You also need to confirm your trusty steed makes DC power.

Dirty
  17. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DC!? unhead of. Will a regulator/rectifier solve this conundrum?
  18. dirty_sanchez

Oddometer:
    Yep, I have heard of this strange thing before.

Am not sure what your trusty mount might be, but I'd double check and confirm the sort of juice it makes.

Dirty
  19. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    You'll probably need a battery as well (a real one, not the little ni-cad pos that comes with the BajaDesigns kits) HIDs draw more than their normal power for the first couple of seconds that they're on. My reading of a spec sheet says that you should allow for twice the power draw. So for a single 35W lamp you need to be able to supply 70W (6 amps) for a few seconds.
    I've not measured it myself, but I will install HIDs in a month or so and will measure it then.
  20. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perhaps i could just ring the motor out for those few seconds and turn one light on at a time :D