High Country Christmas Rides

Discussion in 'Australia' started by burns, Dec 2, 2018.

1. burns

burns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all. Going down to the high country over Christmas for a break from the Brissy heat. Will be going in the van with the 990, setting up base camp and riding day trips.

Was thinking 2 basecamps 3 days each, Woods Point area for some Western action and Omeo for the East action. Will be 2 up with the missis and not much gear, seasoned rider but not after crazy stuff when shes on the back.

What not to be missed tracks and points can you guys give me so I can create some loops, got lots of info from here and transaustraliatrail but most point to the harder tracks. Billy goat and blue rag etc look a bit too much for 2 up.

And any reccommended camps around Woods Point and Omeo???

Cheers
  2. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunno about Woods Point, Howqua Hills is a good spot, as is Nug Nug, and there’s umpty brazillion tracks around those two that are 2 up friendly. Anglers Rest near Omeo is a great spot, from there you can do Benambra/Corryong rd, Trappers Gap, Eskdale Spur(sorta bits, it can get tough), fire tower above Dartmouth, lots of good stuff.
  3. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd stay away from the traditional high country routes / camping sites over the xmas period - every weekend warrior is up there with bull bars around every corner- the trick is trying to see the nice stuff without having to deal with the bull bar brigade.

The alps themselves are still worth considering as a base - so consider booking into Thredbo / Dinner plain / Buller , staying in a ski lodge and not having to take camping gear so the bike is lighter and you can dodge those bull bars easier ? It'll be a lot cooler up on the ranges than down in the valleys, and the bull bar brigade don't like paying alpine fees for booze so seem to stay away....

As an example - a couple of nights at Thredbo and ask Paul for route advice

Then drop down the barry way, back up the omeo hwy to dinner plains for a couple of nights - perhaps a day trip out along blue rag (awesome scenery , marginal on a loaded 990 but doable 2 up with a good rider and no luggage ) , or wander around the alpine loop - down dinner plain trail to dogs grave (ditto on degree of difficulty) , back through Omeo , check out cassils mining area if that's your thing, or wander up to the blue duck for lunch (awesome bit of bitumen between omeo and blue duck, with great views along the river) , back over falls creek / around and back via hotham (road riders heaven) ....that's a pretty big day but some fantastic scenery. Or you could just drop down the high plains road (easy dirt) to dargo with a detour down to talbotville ( nice views on the way down- moderate dirt) , consider heading back up via dogs grave / dinner plains road if you're game ??

If you base yourself up at buller it's viable to drop down the range, visit woods point and return . But by then you'll probably want a break from the bike - so hire some mountain bikes......perhaps watch the pushbike thread herer after this coming weekend - they are going to be doing the mt buller epic ride so you'll get lots of bench racing next week
    Dakar Dan likes this.
  4. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha, the High country is where i spend my summer riding mostly. The dangerous bull bar brigade is mostly a fallacy. I find the High country population during summer pleasant, helpful and generous, particularly the kids that are accused of terrorising with their front ironware of distruction. Its just as dangerous on the roads in the area. Ride with caution and you should be fine.
    Redback likes this.
  5. bigborett

bigborett Hipster

Oddometer:
    I would suggest a couple of days at Jamieson. Need to book for a camp at the caravan park though. Petrol, pub and a river to dip into. A whole plethora of two up from there. Or perhaps Skipworth reserve, tends to be a family spot, a few k's the Jamieson side of Kevington(pub). You need to do at least one run through Woods Point, supposedly the most photographed service station on the plant. Then pull up stumps and head for Licola, Dargo or Omeo for another couple of days. There are endless options from those locations.
  6. burns

burns Adventurer

Oddometer:
    excellent guys ive been way-pointing every place you mention. rode jamieson years ago on the dirt bikes, will have to dig out the old weekend warriors book i used....keep em coming cheers
  7. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ride out to Mt McKay from Falls creek is always a goodun in summer. Mt Stirling, Craig’s Hut, Corn Hill/Stirling road across to Buller. Mt Big Ben. Mt Granya. FireBrace rd from Granya to Koetong. All big bike two up doable although the Stirling rd does get a bit rocky in parts and if it’s rained FireBrace has a couple of creek crossings and can get a bit slippery do dah.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  8. tvan

tvan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day,

If your doing Woods Point or Jamieson area, have a look at the following;
    Jamieson to Licola
    Licola to Briagolong
    Briagolong to Dargo via Freestone Rd
    Dargo to Mt Hotham then on to Omeo
    Omeo to Swifts Creek
    Swifts Creek to Bindi
    Bindi to Washington Winch and Mosco Villa Hut on Nuninong Rd then Across to Limestone Rd Native Dog Flat - Brumbies
    Limestone rd out to Wulgamerang dowm to Buchan (Fuel)
    Buchhan back towards Barry Way
    Down to Mckillops Bridge
    You could the take Yalmy Rd To Orbost theN head up to Delagate on to Bombala, nice backway from Bombala to Cooma
    All quite scenic with some things of interest.
    PM me for more info if you like.
    We are at Briagolong if you have issues
    Tvan