High fender kit for new 640 ADV

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bonezjones, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Bonezjones

Bonezjones Hairball

Oddometer:
    Where can I find a high fender kit for my new 640? I have seen a few guys in ADVRider with them but I can't seem to track down a vendor in the States. The only ones I have seen for sale are at Sommer for 250 Euro. Has anyone had any luck ordering from Sommer with prompt delivery? I checked out the searches and no one has mentioned doing business with Sommer in the US.

Thanks
  2. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    some of the aussie fellas will chime in sooner or later, or you can check the 950 forum. but you can get a number of versions of the high fender (stock pre-04 high fender, rallye fender (probably the best choice), or supermoto fender (creeper put the acerbis model on his 03) from many vendors - just search for "ktm parts" and enjoy.

The next thing to do is ditch the extra disc (only useful if you lug lots of weight 2up/luggage on lots of mountain passes); much easier than trying to route a second line from the top I would guess. You would need a different master cylinder for one disc and others have sourced that elsewhere.

Oh and a plug for the crossover port. :D
  3. jasonixo

jasonixo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't have a 640 Adventure, but I plan on changing that one day...

Regarding the dual front disc setup, I can obviously see why the crossover line needs to be dealt with when changing to a high fender, but why remove the 2nd caliper and hinder braking? Why not lengthen the crossover and add clearance between it and the wheel? My 1st assumption was expansion from a longer line would cause mushy braking, but I tossed that one out... How about running two lines from the master cyl?
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    i am no brake expert so point your mechanical questions to others. here i am just parroting what others have done and spoke about on the board.

in regards to two front rotors... :lol3 are you sure you really need two? what makes you think one is "hindered"?

http://www.hemoriders.no/Offentlige_sider/videoer_ny_hovedside.html

try video 13. KTM-KONGEN :evil
  5. jasonixo

jasonixo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My questions were just general inquiries to anyone who knew... My thought on the 1 disc vs. 2 is that the friction spread over two discs reduces pad wear and allows for better cooling- also, you have twice the surface area to apply force/friction to in order to stop. Anyways... a well-paid KTM engineer decided to use the setup, why take it away? <grin>
  6. phixmup

phixmup возьми Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anything is always better IMO.
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    the dual disc setup on the 640 was borrowed from the 950 (which I suppose needs a second disc for the extra 100lbs? :dunno); part redundancy and assembly savings trumped the engineer. what i don't get is the 950 rallye bike doesn't even use dual discs... :scratch

[​IMG]

the worry with two discs that many have is they are too much brake for the 640 off-road. like i said, the fella that said he thought they were good for a heavily loaded bike touring on tarmac, swooping down mountain passes I guess, made some sense to me with what you are saying, but most of the time two seems like one too many.
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    like two cocks? :evil

sounds like a fight to me... :lol3
  9. Buckster

Buckster Banned

Oddometer:
    The two discs are great for reasons I cannot reveal as it freaks ChrisC out.
  10. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    But... you will give it your best anyway... right? That way, I can provide a thoughtful and measured counterpoint... unless CC does first. :wink:
  11. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Is that all you think about :patch

:lol3
  12. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:

:nod
  13. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Twice the weight (and the worst kind unsprung and rotating)
    Twice the risk of damage
    Low fender is flat out dangerous for some offroad use.

When my 640 is sold, it may just ave the 950 forks on it.
  14. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    And Mack sneaks in with a surprise "thoughtful and mesured counterpoint". Atta boy Mack. :thumb
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    brother in law's father breed fighting cocks in the valley. beautiful birds, and stout as, well, you know. :lol3
  16. jasonixo

jasonixo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The unsprung-weight and overbraking-on-dirt issues make sense, unless a decent part of your riding takes place on the street. How well do pre-05 640Advs stop on the street with their single disc?
  17. Surly

Surly surly adventurer

Oddometer:
    I havent dont this yet but what i gathered over a beer in the garage was you have:
    two calipers
    one long line
    one short line
    one long banjo bolt
    one short banjo bolt

So couldnt you take off the "extra" caliper and short line
    use the short bolt on the retained caliper
    bleed it and be done?

Since Baja I havent been riding mine on the road except to get to dirt
    Thought this might be a decent weekend project before sorting the fender parts

Whats different at the master cyclinder? Does one need a smaller one?
    950Phil did this where the hell is he?
  18. dirtrider

dirtrider Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Going to a high fender is easy. The lower triple clamp is already drilled for 4 bolts to bolt on a fender. You can use an early Adventure, EXC, or Super moto front fender.

I recommend ditching the right rotor and caliper. I won't go into why as this issue was beat to death a couple of weeks ago. Keep the long brake line and just use the short banjo fitting from the right side. Easy!

If a single disc is good enough for the Dakar racers on very high powered and heavy bikes, why should us mere mortals need dual discs? :D
  19. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    mine works great! (03) I have more of an issue with fork dive, but I need to have the suspension set up for my 200lbs.

but i think the issue for duals (brought up by a fan) would be brake fade for those few who run heavy loads (two up touring, saddle bags, ChrisC and his birthday suit :lol3) while running mountain passes, down them I guess. that could do it, but really most see them as a liability in EVERY other situation...

in regards to brake power and single discs remember that all the KTM race bikes use single discs, even the 950 rallye! Then check out the video 13. KTM-KONGEN here:

http://www.hemoriders.no/Offentlige_sider/videoer_ny_hovedside.html

:super
  20. numbaphive

numbaphive not quite rite

Oddometer:
    Visit www.dalbymoto.com.au give em a ring as I'm sure they can set u in the right direction for the mod.

Oh yeah...2 balls r better than one :)