High front fender......

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by BLUE(UK), Jan 24, 2006.

1. Mikas

Mikas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate mud... :puke1
    [​IMG]
  2. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't yet drilled the front fender and here is why......

The radiator scoops are scooping the airflow from where it goes around the inside of the tanks and therefore i dont feel it would obstruct the airflow much at all.When i went a rideout(as in the pic),the weather was coldish and the bike ran on 4 bars as usual so i will go with the flow and if it needs drilling in the summer then i will take it off and drill it.
    What fork protectors are you high fender guys using??(i noticed schradts are redrilled....off a KTM65??)???
    Also i noticed that Schradts forks have 3 screws securing the fork protectors on yet i only have 2(Euro 04 model) but there is a rubber cap inside where i am guessing the 3rd screw should go????(do i just pull it out??it seems rather secure!!):ear :ear
  3. trident

trident Town Idiot

Oddometer:
    Guys I have talked to touratech and they are still waiting on the new redesign from germany. I know I can mount up a reg 525 front fender but where do I get the other piece of brake tube I need to extend the line. Is there a KTM part number or something - Touratech can't be the only moders around.:D

Thanks

Oh by the way Mikas you missed a couple of spots!:lol3:lol3
  4. Mikas

Mikas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tell me about it :D This was on a 360Km Portuguese Baja, called the Baja Portalegre 500. I "only" did 260Kms of the total 360, and let me tell you: Those last 60Kms were the longest ones of my life :lol3The track was a real mud pool. Every time the bike went down i wouldn't be able to lift it without help. My feet slipped everywhere. There were hills that even the 4x4's didn't have traction and slipped all the way down again. Yup. It was a real hell out there :lol3
  5. trident

trident Town Idiot

Oddometer:
    :eek1 Mikas - You have got to be kidding! Sounds like a tough one for sure.

On a seperate note guys I was looking at the carbon front fender for the exc from Proformance Carbon, looks trick any thoughts???
  6. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone can do that.....in UK i will use PD Supplies who supply hydraulic hoses and they can supply any hose by the metre.
  7. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89753
  8. trident

trident Town Idiot

Oddometer:
    :dealThats the deal right there dudes! Thanks for the wisdom!
  9. Swashplate

Swashplate LUV TO HVR

Oddometer:
    I used the parts listing from http://schradt.net/index.php?dir=mo/lc8/tun/kotfluegel&PHPSESSID=6bc013eff2fbfac65cf6bb10888d0859 's site

Briefly,
    1-brakeline
    1-fender , with 4 bolt sleeves and bolts
    2-single holed brakeline holders, 1-top right and bottom right. I cut the bottom left in half and the bottom right in half to make one 2 pice double unit that goes between the fender and lower triple clamp. I had to dremel and shave to make the one for the top right

2-brake line holders 1 for the left to stack the lines/cable and 1 for the right that is spot(zip) tied to the right fork guard.

1- set of 65 lower fork guards the black plug has to be removed from the lower axle clamp thing to access the hole for the 3rd bolt. I heated the plastic slightly and streched the plastic guard so the bolt hole would line up.

here is my web site with some pics, click on the hotspots to enlarge photos

http://members.cox.net/ktamcm

if anyone needs better pics let me know. I can take some and email it to ya

ktamcm@cox.net
  10. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info guys.
    Nice site you have there mate.....had to laugh about you saying not to laugh due to webspace allocated!!:lol3
  11. sti_rx7

sti_rx7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone used a stubby front fender along with the leaving the original in place? the 1200GS look. :evil :evil
  12. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    How about this?
    [​IMG]
    Motozilla's former bike
  13. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    I used the Acerbis Supermoto fender since the other options didn't appeal to me. The silver is a pretty good match for the bikes paint.
    [​IMG]
  14. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is how mine is at the minute until i get my brake lines sorted and some fork protectors.

[​IMG]

I think for road use i will put the low fender combo on and when i want to do some 'adventure' riding i will use the high fender.:D
  15. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I have done the high fender mod and think it improved the looks out of sight, at least the thing now looks like a dirt bike instead of a road bike.

I am curious to know about the brake lines on the 950SM though. from the parts cattledog it uses a single line to the bottom triple clamp then a line down each fork similar to the 990SD but hopefully longer.

When they SM gets over here I'm going to measure it and see if I can use the setup rather than running dual lines from the master as done currently.

I note in Oz we have a problem in that if the brake lines are not homologated for registration purposes it can be a headache come insurance and rego. It is therefore less than good to go aftermarket so I've used the same line for each side and swapped the banjo bolts over.
  16. Don Lemelin

Don Lemelin Scuderia West

Oddometer:
    We just got our first 950SM in today and like you have been waiting to measure the lines.
    Preliminary measurements look promising. Will keep you all informed and of course will have our own high fender kit on the new site soon.
    Cheers.
  17. Motobrandt

Motobrandt Free Opinions Here

Oddometer:
    Isn't the SM fender a bit too short? I seem to remember a few pics of a guy taken mud with his SM fender and the whole headlight and windscreen were caked in mud.... Hopefully you've found another fender? Maybe the Super Enduro? :evil
  18. to520fan

to520fan 4 strokes beats 2 any day

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, I found that the Suzuki RM fork gaurds with their respective brackets fit the KTM forks pretty good. I did need to trim and drill the sides to fit but the result looks pretty good and with the brackets holding the gaurds in place the whole assembly is real clean and sturdy. Also by going with a later model (2005-6) style, they have the Honda style brakeline mounting for the left side and then a purchase of a Fastway or similar "Honda" brakeline mount for the right allows you to keep both brakelines. I had my brakeline manufactured by a local hydraulic shop to my spec and it looks great. I also purchased a second guide from KTM for the routing of the brakeline and stacked them both under the lower clamp so both lines are routed smoothly.

Now just what fender to use.... hummmmmmmm, sure like the supermoto look.....
  19. pistilpete

pistilpete smilin n the ozarks

Oddometer:
    Any wooble with this at high speed (100+). All your mods look great.
  20. BLUE(UK)

BLUE(UK) Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was my origional thought.....since fitted the high fender with the low fender still on til i sort out the brake lines......i've took it for an high speed test..............125mph!!:wink:
    No wobbles nor bending of the fender/mudgard thingy but bear in mind that i use the brace also!!:evil