High mileage GSsssesss

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by oldbeer, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    IMG_20170520_110507.jpg IMG_20200809_124625.jpg
    220000km, still on the first clutch. So good, I still enjoy bit after 17years.
    Watercat, Mc107, Whale Rider and 4 others like this.
  2. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Just having a look on tm and pretty much all the same 2nd hand bikes (R1200GS) are still there from when i was looking . The lowest price one disappeared for a while but i see its back. So there's plenty to choose from.

That 2009 one in Auckland looks to be the pick of them though....
    eri likes this.
  3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Don't sell your Xchallenge. A 1200 is not a replacement for it. I love my 1150 and will never sell it, but it can't do what my XChallenge can. Not to mention the much reduced fuel consumption.

Attached Files:

4. NZSpokes

NZSpokes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s who I bought mine from. I thought they were excellent to deal with. That one doesn’t have keyless ignition (which I like) and doesn’t have a quick shifter ( which doesn’t work for me). Mine was, I felt, in surprisingly good condition for its age. The guy that serviced them in Auckland is set up in business for himself at Northcross so you would have someone familiar with it if you decide not to do work yourself.

They shipped the bike up for me as I was locked down up here but under current circumstances you could fly down and pick it up. It’s a fair amount of bike for the money.
  6. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    Oh cool, do they have the ESA? I would kinda rather not.
  7. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine does. Not sure about that one but his number is in the ad so call if you're interested.

I'm actually impressed by the esa. Impressed with the difference it makes and that its still working after 100,000+ kms.

At least part of the fun of the thing is playing with the gadgets but even without them i would still like it
  8. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    The 09 is of some interest to me. But compared to the 14 for 10k then Im not so sure. The 14 comes with panniers but no crash protection. The 09 is bare. Either will need a suspension service if they can be done. The 14 looks to be a non-elecy suspension version which Im ok with. I guess at some stage I need to find a dealer with a 14 to have a sit on to see if legs touch the ground.

I got the X to fill a need to go further offroad without the hassle of my dirt bike. Reality is around here, there just are not the places to go. Im filling my full offroad need now with my MTB so thinking about more of a gravel cruiser.
  9. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Well you're welcome to come and sit on mine if you want.
  10. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tjebbi bruin of bruin engineering, northcote can rebuild GS shocks for about $400 each

a couple of years ago he said he could also do the early esa shocks

by now he may have worked out how to do the 2017> self-levelling shocks too

old beer and i seem to agree if you can afford over 10k you should probably go for a watercooled

our over 100,000km ESA suspension units, somewhat surprisingly, still seem fine

the 2003-2012 GS suspension units are commonly on tm 2nd hand for less than the cost of 1 rebuild so that seems the way to go

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mo...tm?rsqid=162aaf4456154b969b437060efa983e5-003

panniers are personal taste, some are happy with just a topbox, some want soft bags, others lockable alloy boxes

plastic bmw varios that fit the bike start about $400

plastic givis start about $250, but you also need the metal frame

my 2009 has the rubber cushioned GSA alloy cam covers, which aren't good enough for throwing down a rocky trail but are for slow speed drops and gravel roads

with the narrower seat i think the watercooled bikes allow more foot on the ground
    glitch_oz and oldbeer like this.
  11. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    Cheers. I will have a think.

I dont know which type that 09 has. But im a bit of a suspension guy and normally get Robert at KSS to sort me out an Ohlins. All my bikes have them. A mate got Ohlins for his GSA and it was serious coin.

My ADV bike is a backup to my main road bike. Givi setup would work as I have givi panniers and soft ones. So the soft ones I can use for gravel rides and plastic for if I do some rider mentoring or travelling out of Auckland and can find a bit of gravel along the way.

I dont really want to but more $$$$ into a adv bike at the moment as I just ordered a 10k MTB. Selling my XChallenge would probably pay for a cheap GS. Thats why Im was looking at older ones.
    oldbeer likes this.
  12. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    New Givi frames for my one were $425.

There's plenty there to choose from. Be sure and post piccies when and if and we will organise a Starbucks meetup :)

Happy shopping.
  13. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    Interesting.

14. Oscar

Oscar Acerbic Prick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whitey the g/s Gaston replica has been sold...:cry

[​IMG]

Only Bluey remains now...
    eri likes this.
  15. eri

eri Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the first 1200s had wp suspension, with black springs and a small(difficult to turn while sitting on the bike) rear preload knob

the later 1200s(from about 2006?) got showa suspension, with silver springs and a large rear preload knob

the mounts and performance seems identical so they easily be swapped or mixed, ie 2004 wp on front, 2012 showa on rear etc

2009 will have left the factory with showa

used ohlins for all the 1200s occasionally appear on tm ranging from $800, for a used rear shock, to $2000 for a near new set

a few things that makes keeping an older, high km GS on the road so affordable is the large numbers made, which leads to plentiful 2nd hand parts, esp. once a model is about 10 years old

43,000 - 1100 GS
    65,000 - 1150 GS
    >120,000 - 1200 hexhead + camhead GS
    >150,000? - 1200 wethead GS

loads of aftermarket companies making GS specific parts.....full set of brake pads from china for about $50? if you buy 6 weeks before you need them...

+ a huge knowledge base from diy riders posting service info to forums and videos to youtube etc

i've just finished bolting on some parts to my 1200 given to me by a member here who's moved to a 1250.....and neppi i hear he wants to clear an 1100 gearbox? and final drive? from his shed
  16. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any contact info? ;)
  17. Hunia

Hunia Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    DM me and you can have them, I set them aside 20 years ago thinking they would one day be useful but have ended up over collecting .
  18. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    How many Ks do you get from a tank?
  19. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Tbh i haven't bothered to check. I didn't buy it for its fuel economy. I do know its not as economical as my Vstrom. You're welcome to sit on that too:D.
  20. NZSpokes

Oddometer:
    LOL, love to pop round and have a sit for sure. But I have a decent cold so dont want to pass it around, work already thinks I have the Covids.

Interested in range because we only just changed my beloveds bike up to one with decent range so dont want to go backwards on that. My XChallenge will go 500+ks but realize not many bikes can do that.