High pitch squeel..............fuel pump or filter??

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by IHMSAKIWI, Jun 19, 2019.

1. IHMSAKIWI

IHMSAKIWI Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,
    A day of firsts;
    Firstly; Fuel pump failed to cut off whilst I was looking away talking to a mate and petrol flowed freely over the tank and on to the cylinders. I leapt away until the steam subsided and the bike didn't detonate.
    Secondly; shortly after that i noted a high pitch squeel that stayed with me the whole 400 kilometre ride today. Murphys Law also; petrol cap drain didn't work so had to use paper towels to remove excess petrol from the tank cap recess before closing petrol cap to ensure the excess didnt again go onto the heads.
    Lastly my "pig" took a nap for the first time in the 5 years i have owned it on a very greasy downhill shingle road. I had the misfortune of coming across and water-tanker and a road grader working a long downhill section of gravel and due to the very twisty off-camber corners it caused the pig to just do what-ever it wanted to do ( road tyres) which was to slowly work its way to the side of the road and over the graded soft 12" loose gravel hump and into the shallow run-off ditch on the side of the road. She just fell asleep at about 5 KPH in 1st gear. Took two of us to get her back on the road due to the wet soft graded hump.

Reason for this post;

Is the squeel likely to entail pump replacement of just filter replacement? Or should i just do both and be done with it?
  2. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    Probably just the filter. Clogged can cause the pump relief valve to open hence the screaming sound. I would replace all the inside hoses at the same time. Be sure and use hoses rated for gas immersion. There is a important difference. Cheers
    ultane likes this.
  3. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could be a failing pump, a clogged filter, or even the tank's liner wrapped around the pre-filter (aka "sock"). At this point, I think you're going to have to pull the tank and inspect its internals.

If you've not done so during your ownership, then it may be worth planning to at least replace the internal lines & fuel filter. Be certain to use only submersible hoses inside of the tank, unless you want to have them prematurely fail.

The filter & hoses are relatively cheap. Wholesale pump replacement isn't a bad idea, but it's not free either. Also be careful with the mounting studs for the fuel plate; they're tiny & fragile, so only minimal torque is nec. New nylock nuts aren't a bad idea, but I reused the ones on my 1150. A new viton o-ring is nice to have handy, but you can reuse the old o-ring once its dried for a day or three.
    ultane likes this.
  4. ultane

ultane sqeezin the bag

Oddometer:
    Glad you’re okay!
  5. Reno1

Reno1 Can't get lost if you don't know where you'er goin

Oddometer:
    I have a 2001 R1150GS and I can tell you for sure the high pitched whine is your fuel pump. It will fail at some time into the future. I got a new pump that was lifetime guaranteed from Quantum Fuel Systems for about $70. I have 20,000 miles on it with no problems. Also mark the fuel pump mounting plate and the tank so you replace it in the same orientation you take it off. I agree with getting the submersible fuel line (I got mine at the local Beemer shop).

Also make sure you get fuel line hose clamps that will not cut the fuel line (do not use the ones that look like miniature radiator hose clamps the will cut the fuel line).

One other thing to remember is on the older GS bikes the fuel gauge is mounted on the same plate as the fuel pump. So you have to be careful when you remove the pump/fuel gauge assembly not to bend the fuel gauge rod.

There are also a couple of fuel lines (inside the tank) attached to the fuel pump assembly which you will have to remove before you can remove the fuel pump assembly from the tank to replace the pump. There are a couple of good YouTube videos on it.
  6. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Souped-Up Weasel

Oddometer:
    Did the squeal start after your fall? If so your filter is probably partially clogged with debris from the bottom of the tank. I would change out the fuel filter and the u-shaped hose in the fuel tank (as long as you're in there).

I wouldn't be quite as concerned about the pump. My 02 GS had a really loud pump. I had the dealer replace it under warranty. The new one was louder. It squealed for 125K miles, until I sold the bike. As far as I know it's still squealing today.

Maybe buy a cheap fuel pump from Amazon and put it in your saddlebag. That way you have it in case the pump ever fails, and you've seen the inside of the tank so you know the drill.

If I planned on keeping the bike long-term I'd also replace the exterior lines and replace the OEM quick disconnects with metal ones from BeemerBoneyard.
    bykemike likes this.
  7. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always make sure that tab on the pump is not locked before I pump my fuel.

My pump made the squeal when the tank liner started to peel off and clog the filter. You will have to drain the tank and see if it's peeling.

Good luck.
    lewisjr1 likes this.
  8. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Jeez I wish posters would say what year bike is the concern...
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  9. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fair enough, but it's an 1150, at minimum it's 15 y/o - even the rare '06 models were just leftover '04s.

The in tank fuel issues are gen. common across the production years, and even models.
  10. IHMSAKIWI

Oddometer:
    Yip it gets my goat as well and then I go and do it...............a 2000 1150GS.

I have been in the tank some 30K+ kilometres ago when I bought the bike as it was suffering from the dreaded full tank liner floaties. From memory all I did was clean out the tank check hoses and button it up again.
    Think I'll just get the BBY kit and have with it.
    Thanks for the replies and I will report back once I get around to doing the job. Winters here so may do some jobs I have been putting off;
    Fit new HID to low beam.
    Fit new speedo & rev counter coloured bacl-lit bulbs ( good for another 10mph at least!)
    Fit new fan belt.
    Touch-up paint the bronze heat effected coating on my engine covers.
    Touch up the scrapes on the left-hand side valve cover the OP must have done.

Plus all oils and fluid changes. That will keep me out of trouble for a few days.
  11. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    Could be the alternator belt gone into meltdown after getting drenched in petrol.
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing, but surely the OP could tell the difference between a fuel pump whine and a belt squeal, right? LOL
  13. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    IHMSAKIWI, as well as all the hardware in the tank, hoses etc, the good news is that an aftermarket fuel pump is very cheap. Being a Kiwi you will be pleased to know the pump out of holden commodores vr/vs series is a straight fit other than the electrical connector (easy change), also cheap model specific pumps on eBay for under $50, good insurance to change now.:*sip*
  14. IHMSAKIWI

Oddometer:
    Thanks Steptoe & vagueout,

I will check the alternator belt as I'm due to change it out for peace of mind sakes. No previous maintenace info with bike when I bought it so assume nothing has been done. Definitley fuel pump, even has a slightly different sound at start up.
    Yes, remembered your comments from some years ago about the holden fuel pumps. I think you mentioned VN also?
  15. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pump is common to a lot of cars, i mention the holden pump because it's handy if you are away from home, i have had one in my 1150 for quite a few years now. On eBay you will find pumps branded as Kemso for all sorts of bikes including bmw, come with fittings and sock screen , very cheap. :*sip*
  16. IHMSAKIWI

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

Pulled the pin with a replacement kit from BBY on special for $147.00. Also grabbed an alternator belt and a supply of all the crush washers.

Went to start the bike today to move it into the winter sun to do some work on it and the stangled cat sound coming from the tank at the turn of the key is a dead give away. Hopefully here by next weekend so I can get back on the road. I know I can probably ride it but with my luck it will leave me stranded.