High Plains Trials Association - HPTA

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Brewtus, Oct 30, 2016.

1. ivsforever

ivsforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. ivsforever

ivsforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the HPTA trial at CJ place still on this week end?
  3. rokhopr

rokhopr 2019 TRRS 250

Oddometer:
    I emailed CJ a couple of days ago and "Yes we're on! Gonna be a great one!"
    Brewtus and lineaway like this.
  4. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yuppers! Going to mark the loop tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Hahahaaa! Rain? It doesn't rain here....!

Last year's event at my ranch was SO fun. Rokhopr, you were a big help last year. Thank you and Kevin plus whoever NEOTT guys come this year!

Probably gonna wear my ass flat out weed whacking section areas. Suppose that will go with all day hauling hay today, plus a nuts week. :-0

Be good to ride again! Missed the MWVTA event. Went to ABQ that weekend instead and not to ride. It shall remain a mystery.
  5. ivsforever

ivsforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So you are an El Camino groupie?
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    BDR this weekend, AKA tomorrow! Just got the flyer.

IMG_0698~2.png

Couldn't fit everything onto the flyer without making it hard to read, so here's more info:
    If you've never been to Buffalo Dream Ranch, it is a treat to ride. The terrain has a little bit of everything, from rocks, slabs, dirt, dirt hills, creek areas, etc. It is a beautiful place!

Please thank the land owner (@motobene) for his hard work and for his sacrifices in sharing with HPTA!

The participants will set the sections for Saturday, then will reverse section direction on some and edit others for Sunday. Our colored flag marking system will be used, which will make section setup significantly easier, especially for section areas being used in reverse.

Directions: Search Google Maps for 'Buffalo Dream Ranch & Services' (AppleMaps will lead you astray). From NM and Amarillo stay on I-40 until Sayre, OK then exit right (south) onto US 283 - follow Google Maps. At the destination watch for markings indicating where to park.

Come well provisioned: 14 miles to nearest c-store and 35 miles to nearest grocery store.

No medical services are available on the property but we do have a first aid kit.
  8. motobene

Oddometer:
    IMG_20191027_120856.jpg Pic of the day. Joey Hogrebe multitasking, completing section 1 while a burrito is stuffed in his face!

The HPTA 2-day at Buffalo Dream Ranch great was a great one! Miserable cold, wet stuff up to Friday evening, then Saturday and Sunday were cool and dry... just perfect! No muddy mess!

Everybody was a big help! We had folks from fours states, NM, KS, OK, and TX. We had three NEOTT guests! Plus me that made four from Oklahoma. Rokhopr helped me extra a lot, same as last year! I'd have been even more afrazzle without him patiently putting section flag kits together in my shop.

The rest were NM riders (some are both HPTA and NMTA members).

All marking of 9 sections for a two-day event was done in three hours! Saturday afternoon swapping start and end flags plus a little editing of flags placement for line of sight visibility was usually all it took for a whole new event Sunday.

Five of nine sections were set in new section areas for an HPTA event, so it'd not be the same. At Buffalo Dream Ranch we have enough material to set all new sections next year. Just one day of brush clearing could double the section areas that have been re consumed by the green explosion.

Section 4 flags weren't edited for reversal on Sunday. My bad, as I was TM and should have checked them all. But after redoing #9 and #6 I got called away to support the meal. #4 was already one of the harder sections and became frightening in a couple of spots. A double down with a front wheel trap resulted a long safety dab and my shoe got stuck in a crack. Trust me. It was harder than it looks in the pic! My scoring group got to see me disassemble and leave a leg behind.
    IMG_20191027_095931.jpg

Someone snap a pic of the scores? I forgot.
    Buschog, North ride, jonnyc21 and 5 others like this.
  9. rokhopr

rokhopr 2019 TRRS 250

Oddometer:
    Shoutout to Mrs. CJ for the Saturday night chili dinner - it was fabulous. Fun weekend.
  10. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    I really need to make it to Buffalo Dream Ranch at some point. Really sounds like a great place to ride and I am sure a great bunch of people to ride with!
  11. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    That looks like an unfair advantage...50% less chance of taking a dab.:-)
    motobene, jonnyc21 and Brewtus like this.
  12. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:

100% chance of an "all day dab" if he leaves it in the section though.... :lol3

Wha, too soon? :dunno
    2whlrcr, motobene, Huzband and 2 others like this.
  13. motobene

Oddometer:
    And let me say we scored big on the weather. Wet, cold, and hypothermic misery working on the event Friday. Then Saturday & Sunday were just gorgeous! Monday it started downhill and by Tuesday serious winter returned. Wednesday? Yuk.

And today, the 30th of October, we are supposed to set a low-temperature record!
  14. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Best event I’ve ridden in years! Great people....cool format....maximum fun.

I’ll be back.

And Claire’s chili....OMG!!!

:thumbup
    Scott Williams
    motobene and Brewtus like this.
  15. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Last event of the year, kiddies!

hpta-nov-17-2019-haystack_orig.jpg

See you all there. :D
  16. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    2019 schedule now out!

HPTA 2019 SCHEDULE SUMMARY:
    Feb 24 Lake Mackenzie, TX (Silverton, TX)
    March 16-17 Haystack Mtn (Roswell, NM)
    April 13-14 Lake McClellan (Pampa, TX)
    May - August
    National Trials Events.
    Cool summer events in the Mountains with NMTA and MWVTA!
    September 21-22 Lake Mackenzie, TX (Silverton, TX)
    October 26-27 Buffalo Dream Ranch (Mountain Park, OK)
    November 16-17
    Haystack Mtn (Roswell, NM)
    December 28-29
    Lake McClellan (Pampa, TX)

you guys not doing the December event?
  17. motobene

Oddometer:
    Not looking forward to all the prep to get ready to go but....

Wow, NOAA weather forecast is flat-out ideal, with low wind and NO freezing at night so the trailer water won't go solid! Highs in the low 60s. Doesn't get much better than that and Roswell Haystack is such an awesome and fun place to ride!

Hmm. Compete on the Fantic instead of the trusty Sherco? The old thing needs exercise.

Maybe Lance would drag out his TR34R? I'll ask. The ACM class that went pfft in the nationals could have its own little fling for a day or two :thumb

And that December event, should be on still, no? Certainly good for me as Lake McLellan is only a couple hours away for me.
    Brewtus likes this.
  18. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    The December event is the annual Hair of the Dog Trial, technically the first one of 2020. The 28th and 29th were selected because it was the closest weekend to the 1st of January. Yes it is still on, no worries. :thumb
  19. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    Both! Saturday Fun Trial on the Sherc, Sunday's Trial on the Fantic! :evil

The League will be on '80's this weekend since Hammer's GG is spread out from Albuquerque to....Australia or some such, and K-Rad had to miss the MWVTA final at Haystack last month due to work. Couldn't hurt to ask, though. :D
  20. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank God I will be drunk on Freemont street again. It helps keep me away from the cold ass panhandle in January! I still kinda want to make it Sunday, but my Dad`s water line to his house broke. We will see how that plays out. He has a plumber coming to fix it for $4500.00, I told him I could do it for under 200. Now I know why we don`t get along, he ain`t too bright. But he is my adopted Dad, I had no choice in the matter.