High-School ride Rustoration, '67 Ducati

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by YamaGeek, Jun 9, 2019.

1. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    I think this belongs in Old School, but this bike is probably the most rustastic relic to ever survive the 1970's. I'll also bet this is the most corroded bike to ever grace this sub-forum.

I pulled this out of a small shed last fall, I've been meaning to do something with this bike since 15 years back. It's got very little mileage on it and the engine is same as it was in 1975.

Well except for some serious coastal anodizing.

NOS parts are not going to be a big part of my budget, which isn't up to buying rare and back-ordered unobtainium through Bevelheaven.

[​IMG]

Little backstory: In 1972-ish, a shitheel friend's son stole my beloved Suzuki TS90. So I was without a bike to ride to school. And that summer a Ducati 250 'dune bike" was in the local paper, with whatever star's alignment or luck would have it. So I and my Father went out to look at it, and we bought it immediately. It had a giant sprocket, seriously granny geared, had a huge, ratty Trelleborg knobby and slightly tweaked rear wheel, but it was otherwise not really badly treated.

Problems: It smoked, like a 1968 DT-1 with a GYT kit on 20:1 Castrol R, smoked.

Well duh, it spent a portion of it's life riding the Oregon Dunes near Hauser and mid 1960's narrow case Ducati Scrambers had a POS airfilter made of oiled horsehair and 0# steel wool.

But surprisingly it had good compression and a really loud straight pipe. Jerry's 4 cycle shop had some replacement old glass pack chrome mufflers that took the edge off some of the nasty noise this pipe made, but nothing quieter. Dad wasn't exactly pleased with the decibel reduction, but my 17 year old response was "Fuck yeah!" I especially liked the sound it made on downhills.

The sound it made rolling off the throttle coming down 10th street in fourth gear was pure music.

It was properly street licensed, lights fixed ( somewhat..) a smaller back sprocket and it was a pretty happy bike at 50 to 70 mph (indicated, don't know if the old Veglia speedo was that accurate..). The following year I found a used Honda CB450 right hand muffler that was almost like it was made for the Ducati. I did have to lop about a foot or so off the stock pipe, and then welded. But it ran better, and was much quieter.

The glass pack was getting me negative LEO attention.

I rode this bike for 3 years. Many long trips to the Willamette Valley, Rogue Valley, Portland. A memorable long weekend's summer's trip up and back from Astoria to Eureka, with lots of backroads exploration. Most of the CB/NB Water Board's trails and various logging roads and trails in and around Coos Bay's locale. But after it lost it's aircleaner and several small engine bits in a failed, late night theft attempt, (my dad foiled at 12:30 AM.) I parked it, it was to be never ridden again.

It got moved a lot, mostly poorly stored in an open sided breezeway and open barns from 1975 to the present.

Dad passed from this world in 2000, and I became the curator of this relic.

The fuel tank is almost spotless..[​IMG]

The old Dell'orto is in a really bad way..[​IMG]

The engine has been touched by our marine air..[​IMG]

But it now runs..
  2. YamaGeek

Oddometer:
    I had a bit of a brain fart with the wiring and had the wires crossed on the coil, I couldn't get any spark and then swapping the terminals brought it immediately to life. It was so shocking, I was expecting a lot of misfiring and smoke, there was some smoke but it really just stumbled into steady idle on a moderate kick. I had nearly worn out my leg kicking it with the wires crossed. Left hand kickstarts are challenging when you're right leg dominant.
  3. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout

Oddometer:
    Looks like it just needs some....brightening.
  4. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    Awesome, just fix the lights and brakes and ride it as it is!

Probably fresh oil filter chain etc as well...:D

And valve clearances...
    YamaGeek likes this.
  5. more koolaid

more koolaid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, I can't believe it started up :thumb
    YamaGeek likes this.
  6. YamaGeek

Oddometer:
    I'm onit already. The plan is to keep the engine patina, reduce the powdery coating, maybe a little wire brushing and cleaning the worst gunky rust parts of the frame and Ospho-ing the rims and painting them. I also bought a set of new spokes.

And then build wheels with new spokes, clean the tank's taps, add fuel-line, new inline filter, a new set of tires... And a seat cover if not an entire seat, I do have a SYM Mio scooter seat that's roughly the same length.

I've already installed a Yamaha 200 cc Ag-bike Mikuni VM24 carburetor to replace the completely frozen up Dell'Orto. It's installed using a big soft Viton O-ring and a chunk of fuel resistant radiator hose.

The electrics on this bike has always sucked. It's never kept it's battery charged, despite the alternator putting out enough light to keep the 35 watt 6 Volt headlight lit. As I was running it, I was going through the magneto and lighting coil voltages, the battery's charging was open circuit volts at about 4V at a moderate rpm.

There's the problem with the original battery charging.

But the headlight was open circuit voltage at over 16 volts. Made me go :hmmmmm I think there's a possible 12 volt conversion with LED lighting in it's future. Also thinking the magneto could be changed over to 12 volt with a ballast resistor, but it's running quite well on the magneto, so that is not a change I believe is warranted.

I've ordered a 12 volt LED 'bulb' that pulls about 10 watts and is pretty bright compared to the old 6 volt lamp, having a decent sized battery on this bike for light charging duties on cell phones and my Kindle is part of this plan. If the 4 volts on the battery charge leg can be rectified and filtered to a half decent 5~6 volts I could use it directly into a USB port with a dc to dc converter to keep the voltage steady.

I may be mistaken about DC to DC step up/step down converters but they seem to have a voltage regulating function and they're so small.

This is going to be a an interesting build, I'm pretty enthused that the engine is running as well as it is.
    Roofchop, Amphib and chris a like this.
  7. YamaGeek

Oddometer:
    Yeah it was pretty awesome, I now know how Mustie1 feels when he drags some age forsaken aircooled VW from a junkyard and coaxes the engine into running. :wings

I had an inkling this would still be a runner. It's always had some compression, the engine was fogged with spray-on chain oil about 18 years back and never left unturned for over a couple years. The points aren't real pretty but the condensor is the one it came with and it's still working.
    Roofchop, Amphib and Pezz_gs like this.
  8. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    This will be fun :lurk

You going to soak the dellorto and clean it up anyhow?

Ultrasonic parts cleaner should work well
    chris a likes this.
  9. YamaGeek

Oddometer:
    I'm willing to give it to a good home, I don't have access to a ultrasonic buzztub. It's really corroded together, I think it's going to need much more than ultrasound soak.
    Pezz_gs likes this.
  10. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soak the whole carb in 50/50 acetone and atf

You’d be surprised what that mix will unstick.

Ultra sonic cleaners can be had for $100ish I’m thinkin I’ll get one pretty soon.

If ya need any parts glass beaded, and or glass beaded and tumbled, let me know.
    Navin and YamaGeek like this.
  11. YamaGeek

Oddometer:
    I made a decision a few weeks back that if I get it running, the old oil would need draining before I started it.

So I drained the 44 year old oil out and filled it with a 50/50% mix of cheap multigrade and ATF. I always ran detergent oil in this bike, years back, no non-detergent oil ever despite it's oil consumption. The more I ran it the less it smoked back then, so it eventually was running with just a hint of blue at the pipe. The old oil when I changed it 3 weeks back was manky, lumpy and streaked with some minor milkshake, so it was with a bit of trepidation I refilled it with this mix.

So when it started, I was all over it with a long screwdriver to my ear, listening if any of the bearings were excessively noisy. Old bevel Ducatis ring and clang a small bit when cold. I was worried I might have some major piston slap or some other worse problem as it was a bit clicky and ringy, but even with this thin oil I don't think this bike was being noisier than it was back then.

The oils we have now are so much better.

I changed out the run in oil after letting run for about 30 minutes at various RPM's, then added fresh Mobil 1 synthetic 10/30. The flush oil was a bit murky, but not as bad as I expected. I'm probably overthinking things here.

I ran 40:1 two stroke premix as it's first fuel, (non ethanol) and at first the smoke I saw, there was a lot of weird brownish blackish crap coming out but it, that eventually was replaced with a light blue haze. I was expecting more oil smoke. The initial color was a bit alarming but I suspect some internal rusting in the muffler got a good blowing out. I gave the engine a few good moderate throttle runs, I forgot how willing a revver this engine was.
    Navin, Amphib and villageidiot like this.
  12. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    I dunno that I’d run synthetic in it as modern synthetics lack the ZDDP content for metal to metal wear surfaces like cams and gears.

Not to turn it into an oil thread, but oils like chevron delo 400 and shell rotella t4 still have the zddp content for harsh archaic motors.
    fast1075, Pezz_gs and YamaGeek like this.
  13. YamaGeek

Oddometer:
    Yes, thanks for the offer. Bead blasting the whole engine would not hurt, but I'm also wanting to keep it's patina of neglect. It's a an old yet not so rare Ducati that never was all that pretty back when I rode it to school. A amatuerish, not great hand brushed on yellow paint inspired by the round case Ducati 750ss Jerry had in his shop years and years back.

I'm honored to have been a customer and known Jerry Alvey, his shop carried all the Berliner models and other rare European Soviet bloc and British bikes sold in our area.

I will give the carb a soak. I have a half gallon of Zylene, which doesn't have the high evaporation rate of Acetone, might be better.
    Amphib likes this.
  14. YamaGeek

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm fine running Delo 400 LE, I run it in my little clone engined Hondas, Bi-Mart carries it a great discount.

I was wanting to try out a synthetic oil, just for the fact it tends to last longer and as a synthetic, it would burn a little less smoky than dino, since this engine does burn a little oil.
    Amphib and villageidiot like this.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Synthetic can also cause leaking with old seals because it is too good. It tends to clean the seals too well, and they no longer seal.
    chris a likes this.
  16. YamaGeek

Oddometer:
    Oh great, I'm doomed..:umph

IIRC the countershaft sprocket's surface against the case seal on this bike, has some odd little spiral machining in the edge, I was told was a special sort of chain oiler function.

Now I don't know how much I trust this bit of anecdotal trivia from many years back.

But the chain on this bike was always well oiled without my further attention, the old tire on the back still has some faint oil streaks around it's right edge and I usually had to check the oil level about 500 to 700 miles as it would be edging towards the lower mark on the dipstick.

The chain was always well oiled.
    Navin, villageidiot and JimVonBaden like this.
  17. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    not just not that's "too good" it is a different chemistry. I got stories...

on the other hand, go for it.
    YamaGeek and JimVonBaden like this.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Correct, detergents and additives unique to synthetic oils.
    Beezer likes this.
  19. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    V.I. is a wise man. Listen to him.
  20. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    There’s a joke somewhere in there
    YamaGeek likes this.