High Tech Fuse Block

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, Sep 19, 2012.

1. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    I understand. Let me test out a fix. I will push a firmware update as soon as I am confident it is good. I found a performance fix to make and am doing a full shutdown of Motobrain after one hour instead of one day in the next version as well. Thanks for being part of this experience with me. Good times!

2. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Updated firmware is available.
  3. tdcarter

tdcarter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dropped it on my brain last night Crafty, tested the timer issue, and happy to say fixed!
  4. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking the time to make Motobrain better for all. That issue would have been hard for me to figure out remotely.
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I have a question for y'all. How do you feel about the form factor of Motobrain? What changes would you make to the outside of the gizmo if you were making it?
    [​IMG]
  6. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    More function than form but if your redesigning it how about 8 core lead and multi pin plug instead of them screw clamp conector things for the inputs or at least plain leads coming out so the end user can conect them how they wish.
    Not a big fan of the clamp type terminals your using at the moment for the inputs.
    EUBikeDude likes this.
  7. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Link up a picture of your "dream" connector.
  8. Badger

Badger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap What he said.

I'm not sure how much room I'll have and am worried about a short
  9. Barron

Barron M0DAH0LIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Instead of the two centered mounting holes that extend beyond the body, could you build in 4 holes at the corners that go through the device or have 4 holes at the corners instead of the center mounted holes.

My reason for this request is that the mounting options for where I can put the brain on my bike are limited and I would prefer to have the corners mounted/bolted instead of the two current holes. I would add flexibility as to where I could mount the brain and If I am forced to mount it to an uneven surface it would be more secure,

Please don't think in any way shape or form that I think the mounting holes are prone to snapping off, it's just that if the the mounting points were at the corners as opposed to the center it would be more secure.

Thank you again for developing this!

-Barron
    EUBikeDude likes this.
  10. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Through the device would be quite difficult. The mold would not likely last very long so it would be quite expensive. Putting it at the corners is possible but I've not had any issues with any of the several ways I've mounted mine.

I've gone to far as to saw off the tabs and use the "super" velcro like stuff to hold it in place. Works fine on a motorcycle where it is a tight squeeze anyway.
  11. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    This new feature was a suggestion from many of you guys who are using Motobrain and others who just read the datasheet. You guys noticed that it is not possible to programmatically setup <strong><em>AND</em></strong> logic such that you can control the status of one or more OUTPUTS based on the status of TWO or more INPUTS. As of today, that is possible in the Motobrain lab. This is a welcome new feature and I am looking forward to seeing it matures over time. Please don't expect it in your Motobrain anytime soon via an over the air update though. It may arrive OTA, but it will certainly be in the next hardware revision. OR logic was already allowed and will continue to be a core feature of Motobrain.

Thank you for all your feedback and ideas. It is really helping make Motobrain an awesome product!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mMmm3I_TXGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    EUBikeDude likes this.
  12. tdcarter

tdcarter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes... I'm thinking this feature combined with a photocell would be great... or maybe a real time clock with automatic adjustment for sunrise and sunset based on GPS inputs from the phone.

Okay.. maybe I'll just hope it arrives OTA and use it with a photocell. :D
  13. GSWayne

GSWayne Old Guy nOOb Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would be tempted to use smaller terminals for the output leads, they seem overkill for 15 amps. Just keep the big one for the input. I would probably go up a size for the blue terminal strip to make it easier to work with. Smaller overall would probably make it easier to install in various bikes, but I could see that would complicate thermal and manufacturing issues. I like separate terminals for each input rather than a connector for reliability and troubleshooting considerations. The separate connections makes it easier to move around leads or probe inputs or outputs.
    EUBikeDude likes this.
  14. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I nice waterproof connector would be nice but even just flying leads coming from the unit would do and be a bit more universal for fitting (and cheaper for you to produce)

If you provided it with a connecter you would also need to provide the corresponding connector with flying leads coming from it so people who don't have the correct crimping tools can just conect the leads to there loom any way they like.

Like the new logic programming feature, I think your device just surpassed the racetech pdm for flexibility and features, all for a fraction of the cost.
  15. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    The flying leads just look so terrible. I started there but couldn't bring myself to ship that. Too fugly! I'll keep looking for connectors. Wayne's suggestion of a big input terminal is worthy of consideration as well.

EUBikeDude likes this.
  16. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes your correct it would look shit.
    A deutsch or weatherpak socket in the unit would be nice but would they take up to much real-estate on the board?

I'm sure you'll come up with something good.
  17. gobeezer

gobeezer n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll try to make a case for flying leads. :) I've used an analogous product (PDM60) that has them, and with good quality, color-coded, silk-screened wire they look pretty decent. Advantages would be (a) the unit comes completely sealed, and (b) you're free to use whatever connectors you please. You can use PosiTwist / PosiLocks for a simple install, or go with fancy Deutsch connectors for an end-to-end waterproof setup. Unused leads are easily tucked away (or run alongside other leads for a ways).
  18. tdcarter

tdcarter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Personally I am not one for attached pig-tails. Seems the opposite to me, less flexibility.

What happens if a wire breaks at the exit point of the unit? You can't open up an epoxy potted unit to solder a new one on.

I like phoenix connectors, easy to wire everything up and still have room to move around. If you need to pull a piece out, just undo the connector and all the wiring stays in place. But... they are not designed around an all-weather environment.

I'd say stick with the terminals. If someone wants a connector they can make up a pigtail with their connector of choice on the end, put the wires in the terminals, screw them down then put sealant over the top of the strip.
  19. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 for me with this. The screw connector system takes away from the overall design. But thats just me.
  20. Steigs

Steigs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep.

Maybe some kind of Deutsch connector with leads on that?