High Tech Fuse Block

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, Sep 19, 2012.

1. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm voting for keeping the screw terminals.
    - They are robust and fail proof.
    - They are not going to limit the current output. Ever.
    - Most flexibility and no need for any special tools
    - Lowest cost wire connector

And if one wants to add a "fancier" quick connect connector, nothing stopping one from adding such connector down stream.

Screw terminals are used pretty much universally in grounding blocks and old-tech fuse blocks.

Mikko
  2. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was more referring to the input terminals.
  3. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    This is a demonstration of the new, more sophisticated programmable logic controller we have developed. We call it our Action Trigger Interface. It allows you to define an action and then select one or more triggers that are required before that action occurs. This is the so called AND logic I discussed last week.
    Thoughts?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uRc3vY_2niw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would add a threaded cap (read sealed ) that allows access to a factory reset micro switch.... based purely on my personal experience.
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I am updating the software to allow viewing the voltage and current data in a time series. It has not been released yet, but it is in the work queue.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/By4E0Ep4Q0c?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. Martyred

Martyred Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good, any chance to have this view on the inputs. Especally to use the Motobrain for analysing Can-Bus triggered inputs???
  7. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    It is on both the outputs and the inputs in my demo. I know the quality of the video was rather shabby. Here is the raw video without the callouts. It is a little bit more clear.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jQ_EYnHMjTg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. EKinOR

EKinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally got around to installing my MotoBrain. I got it hooked up and working. It had firmware 3.03, so I did the upgrade in the iOS app (iphone 6) and other app can't find the MotoBrain. I tried restarting the app, restarting the phone, disconnecting everything, including power, from the MotoBrain, all to no avail. I confirmed good power to the +, -, and relay ports. With nothing else connected, it still can't be found.

Help!
  9. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Well past beer:30 here on the east coast. We will get this figured tomorrow. We've never had an update issue before so this is probably a PEBKAC. Either way we will get it sorted soon. :freaky

10. EKinOR

EKinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, so a bit of weirdness - I left it alone while I did something else for about an hour. I tried it again and it worked. Nothing changed in between, so I have no clue why it started working. :dunno

So far, I like it!
  11. EKinOR

EKinOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm really not digging the exposed terminals, especially the main + terminal. The output terminals seem to be overkill for 15A. Something smaller would be better, preferably something not exposed.
  12. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give me Anderson powerpoles in the leads for ham stuff would be fun.

sent over the airwaves by KG7MYC
  13. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Powerpoles are nice, can be joined together in blocks and also a available in a number of colours. Not waterproof but neither are screw terminals. 15amp and 30 amp also share the same housing.
  14. Big Bird 928

Big Bird 928 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly, they are fairly vibration resistant, and can be waterproofed if you desire to but you will loose the disconnect capability. Might not be the best arrangement for motorcycles due to size, but would excel in other areas.

sent over the airwaves by KG7MYC
  15. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    We've got a version of Motobrain that can trigger off CANBus now. Check it out.
    Video shows controlling fan speed based on coolant temperature.
    beechum1 likes this.
  16. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    We have a new high current PCB manufacturer and we are doing our first burn in test with their boards. We are currently driving 100A through the Motobrain to see how their boards endure the abuse. These boards use new MOSFETs (the solid state switches) which are larger than the first version of Motobrain. The boards themselves have 20 ounce copper foil (an indication of thickness) which affords them a measured 840µΩ of impedance across the PCB. That means the at the PCB itself only consumes 840mW (milliwatts) at 100A. After an hour at 100A the PCB is locked in at 55C (ambient is 24C). Not too shabby.

These boards have a slightly different layout to the first generation version of Motobrain. Users said they would prefer if all the wires could leave in one direction. We are happy to oblige.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Martyred likes this.
  17. mikemaycga

mikemaycga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used Sugru to create a stable platform for the Motobrain and it works extremely well. Then, one can use the two lugs to securely mount the device. The lugs will flex a bit but will break if you bend them too much.

Sugru is actually the magic ingredient in several add-on installs on my bike. It's the McGyver all purpose "stuff"
    EUBikeDude likes this.
  18. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Good thinking Mike. I use 3M Dual Lock to keep mine in place. One of my BMWs required the removal of the tabs in order to fit under the seat. It is solidly held in place with the Dual Lock though.

19. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Here we use Motobrain's ability to read data off the vehicle OBDii port to build a functional tachometer. This experiment is designed to show off how flexible this gizmo is.
    yosso, CaptainAdv and Martyred like this.
  20. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    MF. This will be a powerful tool.
    craftycoder likes this.