1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

higher miles 2016 Africa Twins

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by steelerd, Aug 17, 2020.

1. steelerd

steelerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

Hope we are all keeping good, hopefully might have my rd250c sold later in the week got a few people coming to look at it so the planning is on now for Norway an Iceland next year.

Pretty much decided the 2019-20 CB500X is gonna be the right mix of bike for me with the upgrade path of putting spoke wheels on it via Rally Raid.

Having said that sticking with the Honda Theme noticed a few medium - high miles AT's kicking around just at the top of my budget which might be a outside possibility. Especially if one came up private judging by what the dealers have them on at.

Curious for anyone that's had a 2016 AT an clocked up some miles what have you done what issues have you hit, was reading about the stiction issue, what sorta miles do the clutches go pop etc.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
  2. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the clutch. You know about the upper fork tubes it sounds like but also the wheel bearings would be items to take a look at especially the rear set. The plastics, too, to see if the owner ripped a few clips off when replacing the air filter. Apparently spokes as well, they may be corroded.
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check the AT thread.. from what I understand fork wear is the biggest issue.

IMHO cb500X + RR isn't worth it too expensive; I have looked at it and end up with SWM Superdual. Also check 390 Adventure as CB500x alternative good luck.
  4. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    What are you calling high miles? It usually means different things to different people.
    RedEX likes this.
  5. steelerd

steelerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point mate, about 45k-60k loads of sub 10k miles bikes about in the uk but outta budget.
  6. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's not an insignificant amount of miles. I'm just shy of 6800 on mine, so I can't really comment on that kind of longevity. I know there's a few folks who have really racked up the miles though. They're likely fine if well maintained.
  7. cruise_carter

cruise_carter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2016 DCT, this one is in the first 100 off the assembly line.
    Time of this pic, 69217 km
    F8C7C57C-6032-4B69-8CD1-0D1748280FFA.jpeg
  8. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    2016 DCT model.
    My odo indicates 70k miles.

Recently, had my rear wheel bearing lose its balls.

What a piece of JUNK, lol :rofl