Highland Motors

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by 805gregg, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Thumber

Thumber Sweden

Oddometer:
    HI gang!

Tank is now welded shut.

I emptied the tank of gas by disconnecting the return hose from the fuel pump. Put the pipe in a jerry can and turned the ignintion on. The pump emptied the tank in a few minutes. Then i filled it with water to prevent blowing the bike or myself up. At first i tried to melt it together with the hot air gun but the tank had a slightly different melting temperature than the donor-tank from the junkyard. I had to add bit by bit using a soldering iron. Took some time and was not as easy as i thought it would be. How ever. The tank is no longer leaking and i filled up with fuel and let it stay for a minute and then i pumped out about one litre of water contamined fuel. Finally i put the return hose back and the bike startet right up at fist push after one week of rest.

Dont let the tank stand in your way of rebuilding the bike! It is easy enough to alter its shape and to get holes fixed.

/TF
  2. John in Leeds

John in Leeds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got a text from Grant (NiceoneTrev) at a place called Rjukan on his way to Bergen. Already has had snow. Looks like a character forming trip in the making. 'fraid the Highland did not go with him as the panniers expensively fitted earlier this year would not allow Carol to ride comfortably. So he spent massive money on a ready equiped KTM 950adv and toddled off....... 2 new cam chains and £600 later he is on his way. I think modding the frames on the Highland may have been a more cost effective solution :eek1 :eek1 :eek1

[​IMG]

edit - latest

Took the Tor line ferry Immingham to Gothenburg. Headed north through Sweden, lots of rain though sunny morning Mon 26th. Heading through Hardangervida mountains to Bergen Tuesday
  3. Lorretto

Lorretto City Dweller Crushperado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all.

Looks like some very nice advances on the Highlands across the pond.

I have been rehabing a shoulder as a result of a close encounter of the SUV kind.

So now it's back to getting the Allroad's electrics sorted out.

I pulled the stator and there are no signs that the flywheel made contact with the yellow leads. The leads were cemented in place with RTV and didn't appear to have moved.

The voltage regulator appears to have leaked oil or some kind of goo out the backside. I'll get a photo of it if this should be of any concern. My question is: is there a way to bench test either the stator or the votage regulator off the bike?

I have the new stator installed but would rather not toast it only to find that the VR is bad.

Any suggestions appreciated
  4. John in Leeds

Oddometer:
    Highland are flogging their engine technology 250 to 1150cc engines. Up to 120 bhp :clap

Think they have it wrong when stating the v2 motor weighs 144 kgs :rofl

http://www.highland.se/uploaded_files/20090604133235traditional_engine_platforms.pdf

Also some interesting development in super efficient electric motive power and multi fuel i/c engines

http://www.highland.se/uploaded_files/20090604133242new_green_technologies.pdf

Finally not sure I would want to develop a diesel from any of the super light weight Highland motors, but hell I'm no engineer :ear
  5. myggan

myggan n00b

Oddometer:
  6. cilvircurfer

cilvircurfer n00b

Oddometer:
    I think these bikes are being sold and soon to me made here in the usa, actually jenks Oklahoma, that is a town just south of Tulsa, the dealer is just across the street from where I work, they have the single cylinder bikes now and are going to have the big v-twins soon, I was told, sorry I do not have the phone number but the place is called highland motorsports. I cant wait to hear them putting the final tune on the twins, later.
  7. John in Leeds

Oddometer:
    Hi Cilvir

Get your leg over one of these bikes asap. Give us some idea of the reality. We already know these bikes can perform but let's see how they deliver for the ordinary customer. :deal

If Highland can finally get their act together we really are in for some fun :clap

[​IMG]
  8. John in Leeds

Oddometer:

Astonishing :eek1 Look at that range of V-twin engines 550 - 1100 cc.

Come on Highland lets see some pics and let us know where we can get our hands on them. I fancy a super light street 750 myself.

It does seem as though Highland are looking at the competition market here and that costs BIG money so, unless they start competing and WINNING with a spectrum of models and soon the range will quickly reduce. :wink:
  9. myggan

myggan n00b

Oddometer:
  10. sqrly

sqrly Registered squirrel

Oddometer:
    I know you guys are having some issues with the fuel injection, but other than that how are they. Engine and trans reliable for the long haul? Anybody log more than 30k on a Highland?

I am mostly concerned with the motor, cause I may just shoehorn it into something different. What kind for pricetag goes with one of the 950's?
  11. GreaseSnake

GreaseSnake 2wheeled maniac

Oddometer:
    I recon mine is around 30k, kms that is.

Can't say that there is any wear on either bores/pistons or tranny.

However my engine is a veeery old and early one, but still works fine. (Will be interesting to see how long it survives with loads more power...)

You'd probably be able to squeeze it into a 450:is frame. Needs a litte work with exhaust and intake. I'd also go for separate inlets and a stand alone EMS, for better running and so on.

Any frame in mind at the moment?

Prices? A used old bike to scavange for parts are not very expensive.
    The problem is finding them, even over here it's quite hard..

However the "father" or maybe "mother" of these engines are mounted on some typ of waterpumps for fire fighting, mostly sold to the US.
    Folan is the brand then. Might be more of them than of the Highlands ?

Check it out; http://www.waterousco.com/pdf/specsheets/MotorPumps/E603-E604.pdf
    Seemes to be a 1200 engine too :evil Perhaps the 90deg angle makes it useless for your application..
  12. sqrly

Oddometer:
    I am thinking an old RD-250 frame with some top tube mods to make room for a set of throttle bodies from an Aprilia. I figure both motors are 60Deg, so it should be easy retro-fit. Then lengthen the suspension a bit. Compact steel frame that would offer good ground clearance without too high of a seat.

I also notice the Flat tracker has dual TB's. Maybe all the new bikes will have them.
  13. GreaseSnake

GreaseSnake 2wheeled maniac

Oddometer:
    Tested the Aprilia mount, it might work but is far from an easy retrofit... (see, I have some Apes too, and had the same idea once)
    The heads of the aprilia is "thicker" so the distance between the two inelts in the heads are a bit narrower compared to the Highland. To get a good "downdraft" the aprilia TB-set will end up quite high above the Highland heads.. Then, the ports/inlet in the ape is "round" whilst the Highland is much wider, "oval-shaped", so this too needs a bit of welding/molding/casting.

The frame sound like a good plan, a friend of mine mounted this engine in a Bimota frame, looks promising.

I think getting your hands on a set of "Flat track" inlets is a good start, then some serius porting/head tuning and it'll be an evil racer :evil
  14. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    What a great read.:thumb Thanks so much for sharing all this info. Very cool transition from past to now.

I never heard of these motors or bikes. Now I want one too.:wink:

It will be interesting to see how the US dealerships work out. I'll be keeping an eye on this for the 130hp 950 Highland.

Keep up the great work.:freaky
  15. nice1trev

nice1trev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi sqrly
    My 950 (2003) has about 8000 km on it most of them hard i think - i got it about 6000. ive had a start tourqe limiter fail which is an easy fix.
    Its using oil though, from the rear cylinder by the look of the exhaust ports when i had the engine out. ill have to pull the rear barrel off when i get back from holiday and see.
    No problems with the gearbox or crank and the fuel injection on mine is fine for me. Goes well !
  16. sqrly

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input! I have to button up a few other things then I think it will be time to take a gamble and find a motor. I am also waiting to see what happens with this USA importer and what the retail is going to be.
  17. Lorretto

Oddometer:
    Highland AG has a web site up in the US. If this is old news sorry. Check out the press releases, street fighter and build your own [1100 cc twin].

www.ushighland.com

The site is still under construction on several of the screens but very interesting
  18. John in Leeds

Oddometer:
    Don't hold your breath until you see the meat. When they put some bikes up for test then we know they are starting to get serious. :deal

There are lots of people ready to put their money down but just remember if something looks too good to be true then it usually is.:bert
  19. Lorretto

Oddometer:
    No argument from this side of the pond as to the wishfull thinking.

The address and telephone number listed for US Highland site is for this company

http://dynamicsolutionsresearch.com/index.htm

Chase Bales listed on the US Highland web site is listed as an advisor.
  20. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    I see bikes there that are the same machines that ATK had at the trade show a few years ago, when there was talk of Highland/ATK deal. :norton

Maybe they will not be vaporware, I find the things on China manufactor websites, the 950 V Twin, and I'm not saying its bad, hell BMW builds the 650 rotax based engines in China and no one seems to bad mouth them because of it.
    It should be in the open though and if they're using a china engine they're buying for $125 each or something the price of the bikes should reflect it and not be a premium priced brand name like BMW does. :norton

Good Luck to them.