Highland Motors

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by 805gregg, Apr 12, 2006.

1. nsx

nsx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried to contact them? About six months ago I tried to talk to someone about the possibility of buying a new intake for my 950 and no one would return my calls. I talked to a woman about what I wanted and she said someone would call to discuss with me. Never happened.
  2. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been exchanging emails with the tech and sales dept.
    I'm probably going to end up buying the 950 v-twin engine and making my own rally type bike.
    The 450 singles are available now, the 950 twins next March according to them.
    If it all works like I think it should, a sub 300 lb dirtbike is in my future with 110 hp.
    The weight of the twin is just over 100 lbs with no exhaust or air box. But everything else In between.
    It comes with all the sensors and ecu/ ECM wiring to make it run. I have a list of other questions regarding the engine and optimum other components to make it work best.
    I guess time will tell if I make it all work.
  3. nsx

nsx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Were you given a price for a 950 engine?
  4. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Too bad Brammo and Zero can't create bikes with these engines and make some sales until electrical bikes become sensible.
  5. Assfault

Oddometer:
    Yes.
  6. TheGreatHareafter

TheGreatHareafter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Would you mind sharing your general outline for getting a frame together? I assume you will be converting an existing frame in order to avoid licensing issues with the Gov, but how much fab work are you planning or do the engines already fit some frames?
  7. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Don't they sell frames as well? I believe WP or one of those sells actual frames and someone obviously built frames for those engines.
  8. John Ashman

Oddometer:
  9. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    I called and spoke with them last week about my application which was going to be another ADV bike. My interest waned when they told me it would be $7000 for the 950 and $5000 for the thumper.

My concern lies with them being around long enough to make a commitment to their engine. Using a Ducati, KTM, Aprilia engine is an easy leap because there are lots of spares out there and the company builds many bikes. But with their prices so high, it seems they will always be destined to be a tiny manufacturer. My plan for building a bike call for cheap, easy and dependable, none of which the highland does for me.

I'm hoping I'm not spoiling your parade but that is going to be pretty tough to do. It's hard to scale up a dirt bike and say well I'm just adding 40 lbs to the thumper weight so I should be able to get under 300lbs. More realistically you need to start from the weight of a KTM 950 and start thinking about where you can subtract weight. 450 class race bikes are engineered exceptionally well and I think it would be hard to get that level of weight savings building a a bike from scratch.

With that much power you need to think about the supporting cast of components like the swingarm and wheels and if they are up to the task of coping with the power. My Ninja 650 weighs 380# and I had to fight for that. The running gear is all KTM 450. No cush drive, light weight swingarm, no linkage, barely there headlight. Looking at that bike I could maybe lose 10 lbs form the frame by using thinner, stronger tubing, maybe 5 lbs by doing a tank from aluminum. And the weight of the ninja engine is 128#.

But I'm not saying not to try:deal
  10. John Ashman

Oddometer:
    Holy crap. That's pure insanity, given you can just buy a whole bike for that. I was expecting maybe $2000 and $3000-$3500

I read that the CB500X engine is 116lbs. But I don't know how much it can be lightened as a bike. I do know it runs all steel rear suspension component and the typically heavy muffler.
  11. Assfault

Oddometer:
    My, aren't you a breath of fresh air?
    Cheap, easy, and dependable is defiantly the easy way to do something.
    Sometimes, things worthwhile have value, and thus costs are involved.
    Sounds like you prefer the easy way, good luck with that path.
  12. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    You obviously have a lot of experience building bikes from scratch, perhaps you should enlightened the rest of us how it's done in reals-ville. Or are you just speaking from your armchair?
  13. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

Like it or not, Sailah is spot on with his assessment. But with that said, I say give it a try! You never learn unless you put yourself out there and see what you can do. I think for an adventure style bike, you'll be looking at close to 400lbs dry for this one. My SE990R is about as stripped as you'd want to get and it tips the scales at 382lbs.

Regards ~ Ken
  14. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly. Maybe I came across as a wet blanket, that was not my intention. I'm just offering up my reflections on mistakes I made and what I would do differently on my next build. Building your own bike is rarely saving any money, my bank account can attest to that. But achieving the end goal is often about managing expectations so that the project gets finished and on the road.

I salute you going down your proposed path and wish you success in your project.
  15. Assfault

Oddometer:
    I certainly will not be sharing with someone who tells others how they should be doing something, like you did. And yes, I have built several bikes from scratch, less the power plant and supporting components. Just because I haven't made a build thread to let others know what I do, doesn't mean anything. Its OK if you don't want to use their stuff, I get your point of view on that. But you telling me how I should be going about my project is very egotistic.

The only thing I don't like about Sailah is his statements on how someone should go about what I said I wanted to try. Unless he himself has built a bike from nothing, so to speak, his assessments are pure speculation.
    I doubt that is the case from seeing his build thread.
    Where did Adventure style bike come from? Perhaps a ADV style front fairing and rear racks might come into play later, but the base bike will still be just a dirt bike.
    As a side note, a 690R claimed dry weight is @ 306 lbs. I would like to know the weight of a 690 engine verses a 950/990 power plant. I have the weight of the Highlands twin engine. This info will give me a better idea on where the final weight will come in at, as I have a pretty good idea on most of all the components weights to make a complete, ready to ride, motorcycle. The variable will be the frame weight.
    Do you know the weights of the 690/950 engines?

Perhaps I will fail, perhaps not. But I will try none the less.
    People who are afraid to try new things are a failure.
  16. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

The LC8 is right around 128lbs...

17. Assfault

Oddometer:

Thanks!

The claimed weight of the 950 Highlands sans exhaust and airbox is just under 103lbs per the tech @ Highlands. That is quite the difference.
    Thanks again.
  18. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Listen dude, I certainly did NOT tell you how to do things. Reread my comments. I told you how I did my own builds, the mistakes I made and what lessons I learned in the process. The only one who is coming across as egotistic is you. All my builds are in the build forum, zits and all. I'm not sure why you are so thin skinned about all of this, my only intention was to be helpful. The internet is full of people who can design better, machine better, weld better, paint better, ride better. But when rubber meets the road there's a big difference between those who have done it, and those that talk about doing it.

Good luck with your build, I'm out of this.
  19. Assfault

Oddometer:
    Right......
    I guess " you need to" means something else on your planet.
  20. rallyrunner

rallyrunner n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a 99 Outback that I just got running and now have a what I think is the torque limiter problem and noticed you've had the same? Can you tell me what the fix is? I see KTM had a similar issue with the 06 950 but don't think their "kit" would have any application to the Highland.
    Thanks,
    Rallyrunner
    rushpeak@juno.com