Highland Motors

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by 805gregg, Apr 12, 2006.

1. klausmikey

klausmikey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the torque limiter or the sprag clutch damaged? Strange scratching noise comes from the sprag, starter turning comes from the torque limiter (see older entries)
    Normally only the sprag clutch is "life limited" - do you have the old one (small) or the newer, larger tl installed?
    KTM uses also different sizes: P/N 58440026000 is the larger sprag, P/N 75040026000 is the smaller sprag (both original KTM P/N, avail. at any KTM dealer).
    Replacement is easy, only direction of turning is important.

Rgds
    klausmikey
  2. John in Leeds

John in Leeds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello again Gentlemen,

apologies for being away so long. To update you all I have had 2 serious big end bearing failures with my Outback. There appear to be differing opinions on the causes of the failures. Fettsnok and associates in Sweden favour a piston seizure contaminating the big end bearing and then causing the failure. Brian the tweaker from the defunct UK dealer and a well know superbike tuner favour big end cage failure bought on by lugging the motor at low revs. I have sent the motors to Fettsnok in Sweden for rebuild and hope he has some time this winter to at least put one back into running.

Keithy was hampered in completing the manifold set up as I really was not helping and I think he then got on with other priorities. I saw him the other day and he is in the process of installing new machinery in his workshop. When this is complete I hope to leave a spare (working) motard with him so he can complete the system.

I am fortunate to still have a brand new, unused motard and a motard that was used as a demostator by the UK dealer. I have been reluctant to use either until I get a proper understanding the reasons for the catastrophic failures. Hopefully the second theory will prevail and then we can protect the bearing by remapping. If not it will be down to Fettsnok to provide some solution.

FWIW the Highland motor performs very well with Fettsnok's design of inlet and mapping. Smooth, powerful and very economical. Although crude the Highland is easy to maintain and comfortable to ride. Hopefully at the end of the winter we should be rolling again. :nod

Looking at the latest from US Highland I was struck by the engine management system being of Swedish manufacture. Adding 2 and 2 and probably making 5 I expect that the new engines are still of Swedish manufacture and are to be imported to US (unless someone has evidence to the contrary).
  3. Oldobi

Oldobi Olli

Oddometer:
    Hello John

Nice to hear from you again. What bearing you have problems with?
    Sorry my english is not that good. Is it the crankshaft bearing?

Olli
  4. John in Leeds

Oddometer:
    Yes Olli it was the crankshaft bearing on the front cylinder connecting rod.
  5. 950v2

950v2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Citizen of Stockholm. Earlier Boden, Sweden
    If it is the torque limiter the bike acts as if the battery is low on power. It just wont crank the engine.
    If it is the sprag clutch it spins free without gripping into the crankshaft.
    You can see both these fixes on my web http://highland.racing.gs/ (unfortunently in swedish).
    It is easy to fix even if you are not a highly skilled mechanic. Good luck.

And the guys att Rollox (formerly Highland sweden) have the torque limiter. The sprag is just a KTM part from your local dealer,
  6. John in Leeds

Oddometer:
    Great info on your site 950v2, just used Google translate :clap
  7. nsx

nsx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello John,

As Oldobi said, it's nice to hear from you again, although the news of your bearing failures has me running scared.
    Your good news is there may be progress on the new inlet project. Assuming that you come up with something we can bolt on, what will we have to do to our gas tanks to make room for it?
    Welcome back.

Robert
  8. John in Leeds

Oddometer:
    Hi Robert, if Keithy is able to do the job there should be no need to do any modifications to the tank. We'll just have to wait and see.

You are quite right about the bottom end problem being a concern. I am at a loss until I get some serious feedback from Fettsnok. If it is a seizure problem then the motors are in the correct place for a fix, Sweden.

Many people seem to run them hard without problems, in uk we now have 3 with the same problem. Maybe we're just too gentle :D

Stay in touch, john
  9. klausmikey

klausmikey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi to all,

does anybody know which fuel filter (P/N) is used on the injection models???:becca
  10. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    I do not know the weight of the 690 engine but the 950 is 52kg

Regards
  11. Oldobi

Oldobi Olli

Oddometer:

Hello Klaus

For my carb. Modell it is Mann Filter W75/3. It's also for cars.

Olli
  12. klausmikey

klausmikey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Olli,
    I meant the fuel!!!:evil filter
  13. Oldobi

Oldobi Olli

Oddometer:
    Sorry I didn´t read it right.

Olli
  14. nsx

nsx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi John, We haven't heard from you in some time. Has there been any news from Keithy or Fettsnok? I still very much want to do the inlet conversion. Thanks for any info. Robert
  15. Keithy

Keithy Chaotically Keith

Oddometer:
    Just a line to say.....John has dropped one of his beasts at my place for the conversion on the manifold to be started....I look forward to the next part.
  16. klausmikey

klausmikey Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. Keithy

Keithy Chaotically Keith

Oddometer:
    Just made the MKIII inlet manifold today.

Reduced the size of the throttle body....next I need an air filter to make sure all this clears everything....then onto casting the inlet and machining a throttle body in Al.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Oof

Oof Twin lover

Oddometer:
  19. Oof

Oof Twin lover

Oddometer:
  20. 950v2

950v2 Adventurer

Oddometer: