Highway 1 north to Fort Bragg (for a cheese burger) then Highway 20

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by staudio, Apr 14, 2019.

1. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    15 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
    I did this same ride about a year ago (in fact I think I've done it three times in the last year or so). Highway 1 never gets old. Yesterday was a nice and sunny Saturday so couldn't pass up the chance to ride, plus I had a desire for a cheese burger.........

First my route.
    [​IMG]

Got a bit later start than planned, but tank is full and it's time to go (of course as many of you know when you have a KTM the gas gauge always says full even when it's not).
    [​IMG]

Headed out Lucas Valley Road to work my way over to Point Reyes Station to pick up Highway 1.
    Time to take a right turn and head north.
    [​IMG]

Quick photo-op along Highway 1 in Marshall CA with Tomales Bay in the background.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Highway 1 and some of its stunning views. For such a nice day there was surprisingly little traffic. That will change once summer and the tourists arrive. You got to stay alert when riding Highway 1, tourist tend to suddenly turn into the pull outs along the road to get out and take photos, most the time oblivious to others on the road.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made a brief stop in Gualala to look at my Butler Map just incase I wanted to change my route, decided to stay the course on Highway 1.
    [​IMG]

Another obligatory bike shot.
    [​IMG]

Highway 1 offers up stunning views and some great twisty sections.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The real reason for this ride, a double cheese burger from Jenny's Giant Burgers 940 North Main Street in Fort Bragg. Not a great culinary photo but the burger is dam tasty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Usually a bit crowded on the weekends but well worth the wait.

Now part two the ride, top off the tank in Fort Bragg then head east on Highway 20.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Highway 20 drops into Willits CA.
    [​IMG]

From here just jumped on Highway 101 to head back home, this section pretty uneventful. Thank goodness for cruise control. 291 miles round trip, could probably been done on one tank of gas but why chance it.
  2. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last time I rode Hwy 1 was in 1985 going to Laguna Seca. I remember how spectacular the scenery was and how much fun it was to ride. The first time I rode down from Ft Bragg was in 1981 in the dark. That was scary with all the deer and curves. The lights on the old Z1s weren't very good. Thanks for bringing back the memories.
    midliferider, Sfcootz and staudio like this.
  3. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did a Moto-Camp last year 101-20 to Ft Bragg. Not really a fan of Hwy 20 I would like to try 128 from Cloverdale to the coast next time. Your post makes me want to do this again, Thanks.

IMG_0293.JPG
    staudio likes this.
  4. rbowen

rbowen Rider

Oddometer:
    I have done that route. It is the finest ride in the US in my opinion. nice pictures
    staudio and Sfcootz like this.
  5. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride up Hwy 1 all the time, mostly because heading east through Napa is a tourist traffic crapfest. One of my favorite spots for a snack is the Stewart's Point General Store. Their BLT sandwich is the best. Another nice spot is the coffee shop in Jenner located at the mouth of the Russian river. Here's a snap taken yesterday from the outside seating area of the coffee shop.
    IMG_4948.jpg
    staudio, WRC51 and Sfcootz like this.
  6. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which campground is this?
  7. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is Leisure Time RV ( 707- 229-0887), about 2 or so miles East of Ft. Bragg on Hwy 20. Mostly for RVs but they do have 5 tent spaces on the back loop I really liked it. I stayed there because when I was looking at the Camping spots along Hwy1 it was windy and foggy. There is also Pomo RV park (707-964-3373) closer to the Coast.
    Friz Freleng likes this.
  8. Sfcootz

Sfcootz Proud to be a 0.6106142755%er Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I flipping love 128. :raabia

@staudio this thread reminds me it's been too long since I went up to Fort Bragg and points north.
    staudio and WRC51 like this.
  9. midliferider

midliferider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pictures, I have not seen that area in over a decade. Used to make the trip up from Monterey, such an awesome ride.
    staudio and Sfcootz like this.
  10. NoDad

NoDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fun to see a ride where you recognize all the photo locations :-)
    staudio likes this.
  11. NoDad

NoDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    128 From Cloverdale to Boonville is one of my favorite roads. I usually ride 128 north and then either PCH or Hwy 20 back home. As long as you don't get stuck behind too much traffic I like Hwy 20 as well.
    Sfcootz likes this.
  12. ERRN

ERRN Huh! What?

Oddometer:
    download.jpg Ummm now thats a tasty burger....
    Strick likes this.
  13. heffenut

heffenut Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah Highway 20 from Fort Bragg to Willits , had several encounters with logging trucks over the double yellow coming towards me in my lane in turns and riding my ass when I couldn't pass slower traffic ahead of me. Other than that it was a pleasant road.
  14. staudio

Oddometer:
    Next time I do the ride I'll take 128 over to 101......
    heffenut likes this.
  15. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So since we were talking about 128 out of Cloverdale the other day I just had to try it out today. It was my first time on the road and it is hands down one of the nicest I have ridden in many many years. I loeft Santa Rosa this morning and slugged up to cloverdale on 101 then hooked on 128 over to the coast, Oh My nice smooth road and the area is just beautiful. Grabbed lunch in Ft. Bragg and returned home on Hwy 1 which was awesome today as well. If you are thinking of doing this ride I think now is the time as things are green and awesome looking. Sorry to High Jack your thread staudio, but you started this with your above post, Thanks it got me out riding today.

IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0703.JPG IMG_0706.JPG IMG_0717.JPG
    bomose and joker-b like this.
  16. staudio

Oddometer:
    Weather was great yesterday.....you picked the perfect day to ride to the coast. And you're right, this is the time to do it while the hills are still green. And before Highway 1 is overrun by tourists......nice photos by the way.
    WRC51 likes this.