Oddometer:
    299 to Willow Creek.
    Hwy 96 north to Somes Bar.
    Salmon River Road (North Fork) to Etna.
    Highway 3 South.
  2. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    Good choice. A interesting option would be to continue on towards Cecilville at Forks of the Salmon. The road between Cecilville and Callanhan is fantastic. Then Hwy 3 as you suggest.
    Either way on a Gold Wing can be challenging unless the rider is confident .
    Foot dragger likes this.
  3. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a reason I recommend taking the North Fork (Sawyers Bar) 'up' the river,
    especially for riders that haven't ridden that road.

Going 'up' the South Fork (via Cecilville) has a number of novel corners.
    Best one is chicken corner - a blind corner with 1 lane) that puts the bike on
    the outside of the road... and near a thousand foot cliff.

Other way, coming 'down' the river on the South Fork... the bike is
    away from the cliff face.

Going up or down the North fork doesn't have as many er... 'interesting' curves...
    but you still really need to pay attention.

Also applies for the road below the Forks of the Salmon. (Somes Bar to Forks of Salmon.)

IMHO: It is best coming 'up' the river for the first time ride,
    bike is away (mostly) from the cliff edge.
    That said, a number of the corners on that chunk of road will get your... undivided attention.

Lower river... you gotta also watch out for kayakers/rafters trucks & trailers.
  4. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Hiway 36 is usually done as a timed run,I would bring something like a street legal TZ350 or an ex World Superbike of some sort. Full leathers,etc.
    The jumps are fun at around 90 but some have funny landing zones where you have to know where to brake or not,good air can be caught. The girls at Mad River Burger will be happy to feed you if you stop in.

Honestly 299 would be great if it wasnt the main tourist route,and truck travel route,and commuter route. And they took most of the good corners out of it.
    If you have a lot of patience its OK.
  5. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Ive had my old 1250 Bandit out of Etna and here and there,almost chucked it into the trees a few times.
    Hard to get big bikes stopped.
  6. Hookalatch

Hookalatch Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer:
    You are absolutely correct about that. Did this ride recently. It gets really interesting when 2 trucks with trailers and kayaks going opposite directions meet on this section.
  7. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    This is one of my favorite rides. Except if you have the range, take the salmon river road to cecilville then the Callahan cecilville road to Callahan. Gotta go a few miles out of your way at Callahan , hit hwy 3 north to Etna for gas and milkshakes before returning south on 3 all the way to 36. The salmon river road is slow and very scenic but you don’t want to spend a lot of attention sightseeing. There are places where you can step off the side of the road and not touch anything for a few hundred feet.... and a lot of it is less than two lanes by a lot, with limited sight lines.

Still love it.

299 from willow creek to redding is not my favorite ride. They’ve straightened a lot of it and especially in the summer you can spend a lot of the ride behind trailers and trucks and people just inexplicably going slowly.

And, it’s fairly heavily patrolled as well.

SA

Edited: the other comments above about the salmon river road are quite valid. Callahan- cecilville road from cecilville to Callahan is to me worth the challenges to get there. Having said that, if you’re in a hurry, go somewhere else. This road does NOT suffer fools lightly.
    Foot dragger and Hookalatch like this.
  8. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    In the er... 'old' days... 'they' used to run logging trucks on that road... in both directions.
    Key to survival was a CB radio. Trucks would share their positions and going up or down.
    If you had a CB, you would announce your position 'going up' or 'going down'...
    with the mileage markers on the side of the road. You would then blend in with the trucks.
    Worked pretty well. Nowadays... good luck.

Truckers would also announce... 'vehicle/no radios/going up/milepost' to avoid
    collisions with non-local cars.
    Hookalatch likes this.
  9. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Every time I ride along the Salmon river,there's a little bit less of the road. To really widen it where it's bad would mean digging into solid rock cliff. After 10 years on a DR650 set up for comfort and speed,I really like single cylinder bikes on most any roads.
    Alleycatdad likes this.
  10. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    To really be entertained on the remaining good bits of 299,a person has to hit about 125 MPH.........................I always felt like jail time was imminent riding my 1250 on it. I sold it. Too much passing of touristas or trucks and then waiting at roadwork stops.
    Its not really a bike road.
    DonniBoi, Alleycatdad and michaeln like this.
  11. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost Coast Outpost reported that Cal Tans found a deceased rider and bike a few miles past Carlotta. RIP rider.
  12. melville

melville Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, particularly on the new east side of Buckhorn. That used to be entertaining in 2nd and 3rd gear in any of my vehicles. Now it's only fun at Straight To Jail speeds.
  13. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    There are some uphill huge sweepers that are Moto-Gp quality............best to not take the bait.
  14. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah apparently was lying there for 2 days before they found him. Hope he went quick, and not languishing in pain.

Thanks to him, Meredith wants me to get a SPOT... so they find my corpse quicker, I guess...
    DonniBoi likes this.
  15. TwilightZone

Oddometer:
    IMHO: If you ride alone... best to have a SPOT or DeLorme.

My worry would be to be alone... have a broken leg (or some such),
    and be faced with dying of thirst or injury. That's not a big one on my 'want to do' list.
  16. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My buds and I always stay at the hotel across the parking lot from Eel River Brewery. Walking distance there, staggering distance back. It’s a beautiful thing!
    DonniBoi and Alleycatdad like this.