Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) top clamp and handguards

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chadx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the process with a Clake pro on a 14' 690. F you see Kay around factor will be higher than usual. Welding mod I suspect.
  2. WhereTheHellIsJames?

WhereTheHellIsJames? Brraaaappp!!

Oddometer:
    Pics?
  3. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok. So I used the HDB set up for the first time on a 3-day sun up to sun down trip in Moab. No issues trail riding everything I could. I then did nothing to the bike and 4-days later raced a 90-min Desert GP race.... Holy crap! My hands tingled like crazy within 20-30 mins and by the 60-min mark I had to slow down as my thumbs and pointer fingers had gone numb, literally. Was not happy about that. Going to try and rubber mount the inner mounts.
  4. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    Front tire okay? I only mention this because most of my vibes on my 690 in the bars are my front tire.
  5. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    No vibes from front end. This is clearly an issue of solid mounting the bar ends to the triples on an already vibey bike. Zero flex in bars to absorb engine vibe's.
  6. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, any tips on installing the mirrors, mine go lose and are just worthless
  7. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Mine have never come loose and work great! Did you use a nylock nut?
  8. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I used the nut it came with, I will take a look. Do you swivel it back and forth often, as in out exposed vs in behind the guard? That is what causes my problems, even if I get the mirror setup initially, it goes loose quickly after a couple of switches.

Thanks, aside from the mirrors I love the hand guards, but in my experience if I were to do it again I would skip the mirrors, assuming I don't resolve this. Great idea, but mine do not seem to perform as expected.
  9. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The mirror screw is tightened into a threaded hole in the hand guard. You tighten the mirror swivel by turning the screw, not the nut on the outside. A very clever design by Paul. Once you tighten the screw, you need to tighten the nut on the hand guard, which, in addition to holding the plastic, also acts as a lock nut for the screw.
  10. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    What Jack said.
    I leave my mirrors out all the time. When they hit something, they fold.
  11. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    eh, i broke one doing that.
  12. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Excellent, I will try that this weekend, just the info I was looking for. Appreciate it!
  13. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Thank you kindly for the explanation, they seem to be holding now that I took them off and re adjusted them...though I have not folded them yet, I am happier with the performance, and will use them rather than the stock mirrors I went back to.
  14. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I fold my right mirror every time I stop. The right hand guard (with mirror folded in) is a good place to hold a helmet. I have no issues with the mirror loosening up because of repeated folding. I don't see how the bolt might loosen with the lock nut on the back.
  15. kinta

kinta Kinta

Oddometer:
    I went through a few tightening cycles before they started to work properly, now I can fold unfold and they maintain their position.
  16. Jason4

Jason4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just installed my HDB hand guards yesterday morning and didn't read the directions until I was done. Now that I've read them I need to go back and back out a few screws according to the directions on the HDB website. Check steps 6 and 7 from the link below. After reading that I don't think the intention is to be rigidly mounted, I suspect backing out the screws is to allow some movement. My concern is losing hardware that's not snugged tight even with liberal use of loc-tite. I might look for some nylon washers to allow the bars to move a bit easier.

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=display&ref=Ultimate_Install
  17. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking it's covered in step 16. "Check and tighten all bolts."

When I did mine, I assumed that leaving the "swivel ends" loose at that step is to allow everything to settle into harmony as you complete assembly - but once everything is settled, you clamp it all down.

This is fairly common in assembly of complex shapes. Tighten anything down prematurely, and you will wind up fighting things as errors accumulate.
    Jettn Jim likes this.
  18. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw that. I've got over 4 yrs on these new 500's. You can't leave any bolt loose anywhere or it's going to back out.

I installed a hard rubber spacer between the guard and top clamp.

[​IMG]

Went for a 4-hour trail ride. Made no difference. Hands still went numb riding in the upper RPM (up by the limiter). Rode my buddy's 500 back to back and he has cycras. His is nice and smooth. I've used cycras forever and on the 500 and they are smooth, but they don't have the protection the HDB's have and bend too easily IMO.
  19. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hit reply twice I guess....
  20. Jason4

Jason4 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read it as step 16 applying to all bolts on the plastic deflectors, not all of the bolts in the complete system but that makes sense too.

I'll be interested to hear how the rubber isolators work out in the long run. I haven't had a chance to ride my bike since the guards were installed.