Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) top clamp and handguards

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chadx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that's funny.... even took out the Yami.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    theantipaul likes this.
  2. MadM

MadM Dreamer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey all!

I while ago I purchased a HDB Rally Pro kit and used the ADV top plate to my 950ADV.
    [​IMG]

Looking at the socket mount holes, they look a bit small. Which sockets actually fit those clamps? I already have buttons for it.

Thanks in advance!
  3. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor

Oddometer:
    Powerlet sockets bolt right in.
  4. TigerTanker

TigerTanker Husqurducycle

Oddometer:
    4 bikes, all HDB. One of the funnest trails in the Central Cascades of Washington State. An area with so many trails, it's taken me 3 yrs of riding to hit just about every trail.

5. nopper

nopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone using the hdb ultimates with a Clake one light clutch? Any problems with clearance ?
  6. marcin_gda2

marcin_gda2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not Sure about Clake one but Clake SLR wouldn't fit with HDB Ultimate. I had to use NexGen from my other bike (they got more clearance than ultimate)

34083656026_3f4c975ed8_k.jpg

34167847322_94a9b002a4_k.jpg

33993944641_eece97fd23_k.jpg
  7. Sitheach86

Sitheach86 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Was I supposed to order blue or husky blue replaceable hand guards to match yamaha? I messed up my white ones in a really bad crash. I ordered blue and it looks way off the yamaha blue. Comically so.
  8. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just picked up another set of ultimate's for the old dirt scooter. These are still the finest bit of kit I have ever seen for hand guards and top clamps. :clap
  9. Proud Highway

Proud Highway one hand waving free

Oddometer:
    I'm in the process of installing grip heaters on my KTM 500 with a Lynx fairing. The plastic dash on the Lynx is ~3/16" thick which makes mounting the included Symtec rocker switch difficult as it is designed to clip into a 1/16" mounting surface.

I have an on/off HDB switch and was wondering if this could be used in place of the Symtec high/off/low rocker by tying the blue and white wires together (see below). Would this work?

I know I would lose the low heat setting, but I've had heated seats and steering wheels in my cars and rarely if ever use the low or intermediate settings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi PH, yes you could tie the blue and white wires together to power both the hi and low heat elements, as long as with both elements on both sides would not exceed 10amps for the switch. Please add a fuse in there somewhere too.

The other issue you might run into is @ 3/16" thick on the mounting surface, the boot will only have about 1 thread engaged, might still want to counterbore the mounting surface for the switch to .06-.10 thickness. Another thought is that the push button switches are very tough to tell if they are on or off without some sort of indicator or LED. With lights it's pretty simple to tell when you left the switch on, with grips it could kill the battery overnight. Hope all that makes sense.
  11. nopper

nopper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very happy to inform you guys that there is just enough room behind the hdb ultimates guards to fit a Clake one light clutch.
    keepshoveling likes this.
  12. Proud Highway

Proud Highway one hand waving free

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I test fit the switch in the hole for the speedometer which is the same diameter and it seemed to work well. The dash may be 1/8" I also have an LED indicator light that came with the switch so I was thinking I'd use that.
  13. triggerfisher

triggerfisher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I emailed HDB about a set of Ultimate handguards to be posted to UK. Are these guys still in business as I've had no reply?
  14. Roktman

Roktman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the HDB setup on my DR650 and wife’s CRF 250L “and it buried the keys pretty much , how difficult is it to install an on/off switch and “bypass “ the keyed ignition or ? Sorry if I hijacked
    theantipaul likes this.
  15. KarmaSect

KarmaSect The Dude Abides

Oddometer:
    Hola. Looking for a source for replacing the small HDB dash LEDs (1/8"). I got the originals from Paul, but after a couple of years of hard use, I've had two of them fail. I like the ones from HDB as they have an integral resistor and thus are easy to wire into the top clamp without additional components.

I've been able to source replacement switches from Digikey, and assume could do the same with the little LEDs...just need to determine the specs for a search. Anybody with a link or specs they could offer up? My command of electronics is pretty limited....
  16. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    Roktman, let me know if you've worked anything out, our new top clamps have a cut out that should fix that issue, send me an email with a few pics and lets see if we can swap it out.
    Thanks, Paul
    degarate@highwaydirtbikes.com
  17. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    We have the 5mm pre-wired LED's if that's what you're looking for, shoot me an email, we're out of town for Thanksgiving, but can get some out when we get back.
    KarmaSect likes this.
  18. WageSlave

WageSlave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have information, or wiring schematics, for adding an LED light to an on/off HDB switch on the HDB top clamp? I ask because the gauge of the LED wires is much less than that of the on/off HDB switch. It makes me wonder about adding the LED inline on the negative path of the circuit. I could so as it would work in turning the LED light on/off, however the switch is for the purpose of manual cooling fan activation for the radiator. Seems to me that the change in wire gauge would compromise the purpose of the setup.
  19. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    WageSlave, don't wire our LED indicators inline or in series with the accessory, wire them in parallel. So on one wire you have power into the switch, then the other wire from the switch power out split to the + side of the LED indicator and the + side of the accessory, then ground both the LED and accessory.

When you throw the switch it'll power both the LED and accessory.

Our LED's are rated 20ma, if you wire them inline/in series they'll act like a 20ma fuse that'll blow as soon as the accessory pulls more then 20ma,
    Hope that makes sense.
    cjoles and Jettn Jim like this.
  20. outlaws

outlaws Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the fast shipping during the holidays. I was surprised how fast it came to my doorstep. This is one of the finest custom machined accessory I have seen. I'm quite impressed. Took a little bit to figure out how to get it installed without bending the handguard to fit on my DRZ400 running Protaper SE bars with the NexGen setup but everything snapped into place perfectly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]