Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) top clamp and handguards

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chadx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    Added another XR to our garage so this will be our 4th dirtbike that we have given the HDB treatment to. I can't recommend their products enough! This BRP is getting the top clamp, vapor display protector and of course those rock solid handguards. My son upgraded his scrawny bars to a fat bar so we will have to see about getting new mounts for his existing NextGen's. Get ready for another order Paul!
    Jettn Jim and Lomax like this.
  2. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need to order a set of guards for my KTM 500 with Faast Flexx bars. Which mount better to the Faast Flexx bars, Utimate or Next Gen?

I will be coming back to the US for 2 weeks only. Once the order is placed how soon before they are popped into the mail? I can't order in advance since nobody is at the house.

Thanks in advance.
  3. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    I will need to straighten this mounting point. Anyone had experience with heating the aluminum vs straightening it cold?
    What is the preferred method?[​IMG][​IMG]
  4. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never heated mine. Just took them off, put in a vise, and depending on how bad the bend is use a large crescent wrench or smack it with a sand filled plastic mallet. They bend back pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  5. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    I'm going to say work that damaged guard cold.
    I also use a vise to custom bend all of my HDB Ultimate guards.
    Put it in a vise and clamp it good while applying pressure with a crescent wrench (Adjustable) or two near the bend, to get it back straight.
    If necessary use a hammer... chances are you wont need to. ;)
  6. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    What both of them said-cold. Vice with guards so as to not mar them. Dead blow hammer, or floor jack handle over the end of the guard to change shape.
  7. Bli55

Bli55 -

Oddometer:
    Thks all!! So the rule of thumb is heat to bend steel, NO heat to bend alloy

Something to do with work hardening, tempering etc
  8. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Yes... sort of. I use a couple pieces of thin Aluminum Angle cut the width of the vice as guards to protect the object your'e working with. In this case the HDB Ultimate's.
  9. sdd04

sdd04 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Ozarks....SW MO, NW AR-great place to play!
    As well as aluminum jaws, I used shop towels set in the jaws to protect the finish as mine are black.
  10. econwatch

econwatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was able to solve it with the Ultimate. You'll need the raised brpmoto crossbars if you want to fit your key slot or any button access as it's tight with the standard crossbars. Also some sort of plastic washers to allow the HDB guard bars to move slightly at the top plate mount point.

http://www.brpmoto.com/index.php/hu...sst-co-flexx-handlebar-damper-cross-bars.html

Pics aren't the best rendition but close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Fred-O likes this.
  11. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate it when a modification adds benefit and takes away benefit at the same time.... like the cables being forced right over and blocking the Speedo in that last shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    econwatch likes this.
  12. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    And I just sent another payment to the boys at HDB. I ordered a new top clamp with some extra goodies but in my hurry I somehow didn't have the handguards in my basket so I had to get those ordered today. That makes.. 5! sets I've ordered since first seeing this thread way back in 2010 when I first heard about HDB and I've been sold on them since.
  13. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    20180429_142428.jpg

Finally got a chance to take the bike out last Saturday. The HDB stuff holds up great! Now if an other company had send the right fender, yuck.

20180429_142444.jpg
    Erndog and keepshoveling like this.
  14. TigerTanker

TigerTanker Husqurducycle

Oddometer:
    HDB. TigerTanker tested and approved. 5/5 Tanks!
    0D7DE1A0-F10D-43D1-A83D-BEE4585C33B6.jpeg 27847FC2-93B9-4040-8FF8-BC1D81AB3547.jpeg
    Akunin and keepshoveling like this.
  15. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried searching the thread for "BETA" and came up empty...

Does anyone here have these hand-guards on a BETA 500RR-s (2017 specifically)? Wondering what clamps to get and if the set-up will fit (not near the bike for a while to measure the spacing and diameter myself).

Initial goal is the Gen1 hand-guards and then the whole Rally Lite Set-up....
  16. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Had to give this thread a bump. I'm a huge fan of the HDB stuff, have their products on over 3 bikes and 2 quads and never an issue
    Erndog and Jettn Jim like this.
  17. Tortuga353

Tortuga353 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just installed the ultimate hand guards. I installed on a 16 KTM 500 EXC. The turn signal indicator is now completely blocked. Looks like I need to the mount for this and the speedo to get a clean look. Is this the best solution?

I think I need this.
    https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=BM-504

And the ktm dash w key switch and 2 light indicators?
  18. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the display mount for my 2014 and I can see all the instrument and indicators fine. You can't see them in this pic due to the angle but the indicators (fuel, turn, etc) are on little left and right side wings located at the bottom of the display holder. I'll go out in the garage and get a better pic when I am fully awake and functional.

[​IMG]
  19. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    Gotcha ok thanks. Let me check but seems like I can’t see the turn signal indicator. The display is ok just the buttons are slightly blocked but still usable.

Attached Files:

20. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    Yeah can’t really see it unless I was standing and up over handlebars. It looks like if I add a spacer and push the whole display and inidicator out everything would be visible.