Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) top clamp and handguards

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chadx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Tortuga353

Tortuga353 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would be cool if you make the m-blaze pin the actual mirror mount. I’m sure it is unlikely the threads are the same

upload_2019-4-10_6-14-32.jpeg
  2. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    Funny you posted those, I put them on my XRR too. Much, MUCH brighter than the zeta blinkers and they are very small and discrete.
    Tortuga353 likes this.
  3. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    I looked at this again this morning and you can simply tap the interior handguard thread on the HBD and should mount up nicely with a short wire route.

upload_2019-4-10_7-25-6.png
  4. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    To get an idea how small those blaze blinkers are I'll show the crap fender I used to find the best location to install mine. In comparison to the popular flush mount blinker where Iit was installed before. I really like the new location, I don't hit them when I throw a leg over and the seat provides some protection as well. This is just to show how small they are. On the front I mounted mine off the headlight shroud. You only notice them when they are being used.

HDB use to have blinkers for those guards, could contact Paul and see if he has any floating around the shop yet too

Attached Files:

5. mk23

mk23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So question... I read that these are not suppose to be used head on. Not nearly bright enough? They are suppose to be mounted like traditional blinkers? I have never seen them in person, so I don't know.

Another poster was recommending these as "head on" use... https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=HighSider+Mono+LED
  6. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    Yep that would probably be better as these are m-blaze are designed for side. Also, there would now be a projection on the front of the hand guard that may try to grab branches.
  7. TipsyMcStagger

TipsyMcStagger Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm using Doubletake mirrors, not the HDB mirrors, so that's not a concern.

Just trying to find a turn signal solution to use with these guards. I used some adhesive LED strips on my Cycra guards. Might end up doing something similar if there are no better options.
  8. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    After yet another purchase from HDB I have to give another shout out to Paul and company for going the extra lengths that you do. Hooked me up with a replacement mirror (my fault) and got my son's birthday present ordered. Full dash set up!
  9. Deathsoswiftly

Deathsoswiftly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I received my Highway Dirt Bike Ultimate handguards a couple of months back and thought I would write a review after thoroughly testing the set up.
    The HDBs replaced my plastic touratech handguards. The touratechs held up surprisingly well for what they're worth, however I wanted something more substantial. After doing my research I decided to try out HDB. I contacted Paul via email and he sent me the handguards through shipito. I received the handguards two weeks later and in another two weeks the mirrors arrived.
    The installation was relatively simple and straightforward. No tapping, drilling or any of that bullshit. The clearance between the handguards and the controls is very small and setting everything up is a bit of a hassle. Basically, don't tighten anything until you're more or less satisfied with your setup. The handguards, if properly centered, barely touch the stock f800gs windscreen. Now to the review:
    First of all, the mirrors work. I actually prefer them to the stock BMW mirrors because they provide a wider, less obstructed view and are noticeably more aerodynamic. They do vibrate at high RPM but so do the stock mirrors. When deployed they make the bike wider, but you can easily tuck them out of the way with one hand. The mirrors require very little force to fold and the construction is very robust. I've flicked truck and van mirrors several times while lane splitting with zero damage.
    The f800gs kit is supplied with plastic shields, which offer decent wind protection. The protection is as good if not better than the basic touratech unit. The plastic is thick and looks the real deal.
    But it's the handguards that take the cake. I dropped my bike several times offroad and the handguards didn't even budge. I was most impressed when I was riding a mountain trail with very high banks. I started braking too late into a turn and understeered straight into the bank. The right handguard took the brunt of the impact, uprooting vegetation and digging a deep rut for nearly a meter. After I pulled the bike out of the bushes I was surprised to see that everything was straight and unscathed apart from a few scratches to the plastic shields and crash bars. Not even a fleck of dirt on the brake lever.
    I can easily recommend HDB and will probably get them for my next bike.

Attached Files:

10. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the difference in sizes between the usual ultimate guards, the husky/KTM version and the big KTM version?
    Thanks
  11. drifteast

drifteast Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally, after months of having them in my possession, got around to installing the HDB Ultimates. First off, as others already know, this stuff is amazing! Top-notch quality all around and Paul was fantastic to deal with, answering all my dumb questions along the way. I think one of the reasons I kept putting off the installing was the bar-tapping thing. I'd only used a tap once before and the thought of ruining a new set of bars was a little scary. I was super paranoid of starting the tap crooked so I did this for a visual :lol3:

[​IMG]

Which for some reason, reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

In the end, it all turned out:

[​IMG]

I ended up going with Renthal Fat Bars (McGrath/Short bend) after realizing that the ProTaper EVOs (Henry/Reed bend) were stretching all my cables more than I liked; I'm using the 2-1/8" HDB lower clamps. I also needed more control area due to the ODI locking grips that I'm using. Anyway, I'm ending up with a pretty big gap where the guard meets the top clamp:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I read this whole thread and know that having to bend the guards is not uncommon so I threw them in my vice yesterday but no go; the vice I have is not huge and it's bolted to the top of my 3/4" plywood workbench so... :D I didn't have a piece of pipe to fit over the guards and was just trying to bend them with my hands but, damn, they are strong! Which is awesome! Didn't move them a millimeter I think. Tried a dead blow hammer too but that didn't help. Heading out soon to pick up some steel pipe. Is that how most folks are bending them, with a pipe? If I tried, I could probably get the bolts started on either end and force everything together but it seems like a big gap to close that way. Any tips would be welcome!
  12. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am going to see some people scream here. :lol3 Take a good sized pipe wrench and pad the jaws so you don't scratch. Put that on the guard outboard of the screw hole, Pull on the wrench to bend the guard in enough to get a bolt started in the top clamp brackets (make SURE it is started and not cross threaded) and then pull the guard in the rest of the way with the bolt. make sure your cables are on the proper side of the guard before doing this. DAMHIK:
  13. Canadianriderz

Canadianriderz n00b

Oddometer:
    EC5866B9-FF80-4466-937D-464F021E4282.jpeg This is what I did. Admore lighting. I use them as a running light and blinkers. Super bright and in my opinion anything I can do to make the cagers notice me the better.
    Deathsoswiftly and Whodatschrome like this.
  14. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used a hydraulic press to bend them to fit my bars. I suppose that they could be cinched together as is with a bolt, i think that places too much strain in everything. Another option would be to use an aluminum spacer like Cycra uses on there guards. They won't be as strong that way, but you gotta do what you gotta do. It might not be as much of an issue depending upon how heavy your bike is, and how many rocks you dump your bike on.
  15. drifteast

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies, guys! In the end, I was able to get these on; gentle bending (amazing how strong these are though, my whole workbench was lifting off the ground) ended up in a perfect fit on the clutch side and a near-perfect fit on the throttle side. I was tempted to go the spacer route (and I have a pile of spacers from previous Cycra installations) but the bolts wouldn't line up with the spacers, the guard had to be more inward and the only way was to bend them. Clutch cable is resting against the swivel boss but that's impossible to avoid in my case. Again, this stuff is fantastic and I wouldn't think about putting anything else on a future bike :thumb
    keepshoveling likes this.
  16. Dacquiri

Dacquiri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had any recent interaction with HDB? I see there website says they aren’t taking orders for a couple of weeks while they upgrade their store but that’s already been there for over 2 weeks now. Was hoping to get an order delivered before Xmas. :(
  17. drifteast

Oddometer:
    I'd suggest just sending them an email if you haven't already; they might be able to give some info on when things will be back online.
  18. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what size allen the big bolt kit is?
  19. drifteast

Oddometer:
    It's a 3/8".
  20. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! One side almost done. Tapping the bar took more effort than i thought