Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) top clamp and handguards

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chadx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. copter105

copter105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to integrate a power source into one of the the big holes in the HDB top clamp. I don't want a powerlet socket. Is there a simple USB socket that will fit that hole?

20191204_232849.jpg
  2. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can fin them all over Amazon for less than $20. Just measure the hole diameter on your clamp and go a searching. If you are installing a USB charge port make sure it's on switched power, otherwise it's a constant draw on your battery.

I went with a BMW socket sized coax port from Warm-n-Safe. Powers my Montana GPS during the day and with adapters works to charge mobile devices or serves as a plug for my Battery Tender Jr.

[​IMG]
  3. copter105

copter105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the response. However, all I can find for plug sockets are 28mm in diameter. The hole on the HDB top clamp is 18mm in diameter (which is the size of powerlet). Does anyone know if they make a 18mm USB plug socket anywhere because I can't seem to find any?
  4. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking for the same , no luck yet :-((
  5. tkdcol

tkdcol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are these top clamps still available from HDB? I only see the modular systems available on the webpage
  6. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think so, but I have one I’ll try to use
    tkdcol likes this.
  7. copter105

copter105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think so either... Anyway, this is what I came up with. A powerlet mounted in the hole and then plugged one of the usb powerlet adapters in there. I'm not too happy about this set up because I feel like the adapter is just going to vibrate out. Here are the items from amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GDUXPCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VSWDPTZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20191215_144249.jpg 20191215_144258.jpg 20191215_144252.jpg 20191215_144249.jpg
    PYG RYDR likes this.
  8. copter105

copter105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Changed my mind and bought a new top clamp. Left side is a toggle switch to break the connection between the battery and the USB charger when not in use (which is cigarette socket sized). The right button is for the aftermarket led flood lights I run at night. I feel this is a much cleaner look. Plus I was concerned the powerlet attachment would vibrate out or I would lose it somehow. 20200101_094650.jpg
    Team Vegas and tkdcol like this.
  9. Dacquiri

Dacquiri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone purchased from HDB recently or heard from them? I placed an order 2 months ago and paid then and am yet to have my order confirmed. Emails go unanswered. Does anyone have a contact number for them perhaps? Please pm me.
  10. HayBailEY

HayBailEY Groovy

Oddometer:
    I’m in the same boat, only my order being one week old. Hope everything is good in the HDB world. They make a great product that’s worth the wait
  11. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Dacre, like I said in my email, my apologies, there were delays and confusion based on trying to ship to a few addresses in the US vs now shipping to South Africa, also we at HDB are in the middle of some changes and have just finished this weekend moving the shop down to Denver. None of which are good excuses, we screwed up your order and will make it right.

HayBailEY, thanks for the order, we're currently running behind on shipping, but are well on our way to getting organized and caught back up, should be by the end of this week.

Thanks,
    Paul
  12. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once again Great people :clap I am about to place yet another order with them. I have never found hand guards as good as these.
    SMURPH and OZZY-DUCK like this.
  13. SOMT

SOMT Lurker

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to my future purchase. Once I figure out which bars for my WR250R...

Anyone with a WR care to chime in on which bars you used that didn't stretch the cables?

And yes the newbie did search :) but since I'm getting the HDB guards I figured this is the best place to ask.
  14. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    has anyone made the wraparounds not pivot vertically? havent been a huge fan of that and pretty sure it pivoting down caused a rock to pivot my clutch lever to a nice new angle
  15. SOMT

SOMT Lurker

Oddometer:
    The top clamp mounting system that these guards use is supposed to mitigate that quite a bit. But it sounds like there is always going to be a small amount of pivot. If they were too rigid I'd worry about something worse absorbing the damage.
  16. PNWet

PNWet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have HDB on Rental Jimmy Button 7/8" bars, on an XR250R. The bars are tapped with the 3/8" large allen bolt.

I know the 7/8" bars are supposed to have a crossbar for support. However, given how rigid the HDB set up is, and the fact it provides support to the bars, I'm wondering what the inmates think of running them without a crossbar.

Please advise...
  17. 71CJ5

71CJ5 n00b

Oddometer:
    Pro Taper steering damper low bars is what I'm running. I run a Scotts submount steering stabilizer and did not want to mess with new cables which is why I chose the bars I did. Everything fit and works fine with the stock cables although I wouldn't go any taller with a submount stabilizer. 20200430_203547.jpg 20200430_203555.jpg
    moto_dmitriy likes this.
  18. wfv56

wfv56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just stumbled over this thread. Any of you guys mount a Trailtech Voyager Pro to your HWDB top clamp? I hoped Paul would have a mount but I haven’t seen one yet. Thanks Bill
  19. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting for a Voyager Pro protector as well and I know they did some mock ups but as soon as Paul and Co. get it figured out I'll pick one up and then the Voyager Pro.
  20. drifteast

drifteast Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if any folks from Canada have ever had to request a replacement mirror? The glass on one of my mirrors fell off (looks to be when a silicone adhesive was still used) and broke. The cheapest shipping option I've been quoted for one mirror (glass only) is USD$27 :yikes I love these guards and the fact that HDB stands behind its products but I don't think I can justify that cost for shipping a single mirror glass (especially since the entire mirror assembly costs less than that). Canadians?