Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) top clamp and handguards

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chadx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Tortuga353

Tortuga353 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This happened to me and I was sent a few pcs of glass at no charge however I’m in the US. Mine fall out or get damaged like once year and I’m down to my last replacement. Also the plastic sleeve That hold the inner bolt head on my mirror busted out while tightening up last ride. I was able to remove the washer and trail side fix it. I love the minimalist mirrors but I’ve had a few issues.
  2. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    I've had a few pop out and Paul has been very helpful with replacements but after a simple modification I haven't had any issues in quite a long time. Just a tiny bead of gorilla glue between the glass and plastic and I haven't had an issue since. Live how these mirrors work and are functional despite their deceptive small size
  3. drifteast

drifteast Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Yep, it seems Gorilla Glue construction adhesive is now the adhesive of choice. But my biggest problem is getting the glass here to put it back on for a reasonable cost. May have to look elsewhere for a cheap replacement.
  4. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    Hmm which gorilla glue? I have some and may need to give that a try on this one. May bake out both and go ahead and do them both.
    Pipefighter76 likes this.
  5. drifteast

Oddometer:
    They sent me a document with glass replacement instructions; specifically, this product was shown:

https://www.gorillatough.com/product/gorilla-heavy-duty-construction-adhesive/

with the following text:

"Preheat oven to 350 deg. Clean old glue and residue out of the plastic. Place plastic in the oven for 10 minutes. With GLOVES remove plastic mirror housing. Using Gorilla Glue make two lines around the edges. Leave gaps for the air to escape. The glass should just pop in."

The image provided shows two beads of glue on the top edge and the bottom edge; basically, one running from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock, the other from 4 o'clock to 8 o'clock. Hope that helps.
  6. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the entire mirror assembly is more than that $27. i just payed $52 including shipping and im in the states.

either way that shipping seems a bit crazy
  7. drifteast

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I meant when you get the handguards themselves, the mirror option is $25 so not sure what they're worth on their own (probably more). But, again, just looking for the glass. On that note, if anyone's replaced their glass elsewhere on the cheap, I'm all ears :ear
  8. manx16

manx16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe try a local glass shop ?? get them to cut one .
  9. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    I found several 3” mirrors on Amazon with free delivery.
    drifteast likes this.