Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) top clamp and handguards

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chadx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Tortuga353

Tortuga353 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This happened to me and I was sent a few pcs of glass at no charge however I’m in the US. Mine fall out or get damaged like once year and I’m down to my last replacement. Also the plastic sleeve That hold the inner bolt head on my mirror busted out while tightening up last ride. I was able to remove the washer and trail side fix it. I love the minimalist mirrors but I’ve had a few issues.
  2. Akunin

Akunin Neo-Vegabond

Oddometer:
    I've had a few pop out and Paul has been very helpful with replacements but after a simple modification I haven't had any issues in quite a long time. Just a tiny bead of gorilla glue between the glass and plastic and I haven't had an issue since. Live how these mirrors work and are functional despite their deceptive small size
  3. drifteast

drifteast Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. Yep, it seems Gorilla Glue construction adhesive is now the adhesive of choice. But my biggest problem is getting the glass here to put it back on for a reasonable cost. May have to look elsewhere for a cheap replacement.
  4. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    Hmm which gorilla glue? I have some and may need to give that a try on this one. May bake out both and go ahead and do them both.
    Pipefighter76 likes this.
  5. drifteast

Oddometer:
    They sent me a document with glass replacement instructions; specifically, this product was shown:

https://www.gorillatough.com/product/gorilla-heavy-duty-construction-adhesive/

with the following text:

"Preheat oven to 350 deg. Clean old glue and residue out of the plastic. Place plastic in the oven for 10 minutes. With GLOVES remove plastic mirror housing. Using Gorilla Glue make two lines around the edges. Leave gaps for the air to escape. The glass should just pop in."

The image provided shows two beads of glue on the top edge and the bottom edge; basically, one running from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock, the other from 4 o'clock to 8 o'clock. Hope that helps.
  6. adv_sacrifice

adv_sacrifice Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the entire mirror assembly is more than that $27. i just payed $52 including shipping and im in the states.

either way that shipping seems a bit crazy
  7. drifteast

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I meant when you get the handguards themselves, the mirror option is $25 so not sure what they're worth on their own (probably more). But, again, just looking for the glass. On that note, if anyone's replaced their glass elsewhere on the cheap, I'm all ears :ear
  8. manx16

manx16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe try a local glass shop ?? get them to cut one .
  9. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    I found several 3” mirrors on Amazon with free delivery.
    bajabinder and drifteast like this.
  10. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    Ok one of my mirrors broke. Where can we buy more? The site for HDB seems down and I guess Paul isn’t answering any more. Link anyone?
  11. bajabinder

bajabinder Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just checked his site, and says they’ve been away but now back.
    I’ve broken one of my HDB mirrors before, and Paul sent a free replacement. Try calling him again.
  12. Tortuga353

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks. I just emailed Paul directly and found an old email chain with all my order info. Hopefully he'll respond. I love the set-up and that it allows for even running a few local hare scrambles but that seems to be a little rough on the mirrors.

13. BLZ2DWL

BLZ2DWL Roustabout Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tortuga353 likes this.
  14. gjriding

gjriding n00b

Oddometer:

Thank you this is all very informative
  15. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to put together a picture of what is currently being offered as the Ultimate Handguards. It looks like the top clamp design changed a few years back so most of the pictures in the threads here are not applicable. I could use basically any basic plate design that takes a few buttons, but the current website doesn't describe options very well. It looks like the plate that comes with the BYO Ultimate guards doesn't allow mounting of any switches?

Can't tell if the modular upper dash is the only option now, but it is all I see at the site. None of the options listed show what you are actually getting. Every picture there show a display housing above the various switch template configurations. Is that bulky display required to mount any buttons on this design? It looks to me like it is included in all of the purchase options.

The only page available mentions "upper dash", though the help page mentions a lower dash. Looks like this is just a matter of assembly of the modular parts? If so the wording of the dash parts page is misleading. Or is there a page missing for other options from the site? The link I tried to follow from the help page to buy dash parts was broken.

Sent an email inquiry a couple days ago, looks like they might be on a weekend adventure...
  16. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also, the tool tip for colors is dead, can someone with the complete trading card collection share what Husky and Yamaha blues actually look like?
  17. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The blue was a little off on my WR250R but still looked good. This was a few years ago might have changed.
  18. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally got my HDB guards to work with my flexx bars!! I am so happy. I tried EVERYTHING to get these to install. I tried bending them, using different bolts, attach with top clamp, attach with the pivot point, everything. It looked horrible and I wasn’t happy.

I called Chad and he bent me new bars specifically for the flexx bars and had them shipped that day. Absolutely fantastic customer service. He even emailed to make sure they fit. Awesome.

BF292E70-6A73-4584-80DA-18BC4A039CEE.jpeg 6559A5DA-6EEF-4B98-88C4-B788D851AF0E.jpeg 8D1EAAF2-55DB-4B5A-B42B-2858EB82D9DA.jpeg
  19. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics or it didn't happen...
  20. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking for more clarification on a few points. It doesn't seem the newer clamp plates can be assembled with buttons on the rider side (rear) of the bars. The new design would make it more difficult to access the ignition on an F/G650GS. Can anyone tell me if the older clamp plates (with static button templates toward the rear/rider) share the same interface for mounting the guards? IE will the older clamp plates work with the guards currently being sold?