1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Highway Dirt Bike (HDB) top clamp and handguards

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chadx, Jan 23, 2010.

1. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Before Electrical Work

[​IMG]
    After Electrical Work

[​IMG]
    Everything powered up.

[​IMG]
    Headlight powered off.

[​IMG]
    Wiring bundle.

The red button shuts off the low beam, but in this photo, I just turned on the high beam which also shuts off the low beam. If I want no headlight, I turn on the OEM low beam switch on the left grip and push the red button.

The black button kills power to the Powerlet which is energized always otherwise. The green LED indicates the Powerlet's status only when the ignition is on though so the LED doesn't drain the battery.

The red LEDs merely indicate that the ignition is on. This is because I have a bad habit of leaving it on when I am scouting up ahead on foot. I'll transition one of those LEDs to indicate heated grip status this winter when I mount them. But it's the warm part of the year so I am riding stock grips ATM.

I got the Powerlet from powerlet.com. It came with a great little 90 degree rubber boot for the bottom to protect it from the weather.

I found the hand guards difficult to install. I still really need to bend them into shape, but I don't have a hot enough torch. I'll pick up some MAPP gas soon and fix it for good.
  2. dasvis

dasvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I actually have another solution I'll try first. I will mount the ball in one of the switch holes. I just need a T nut because the bolt on the ball is just too short for my needs.
  4. dasvis

dasvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I tried that before I found the RAM-B-367U. -- I have two of these http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-0.38-16-male-thread-with-1-inch-ball.html - that I originally used in the switch holes - but I felt that when using these it crowded the switch area too much & made it hard to access.
    - dasvis
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    I have the same feeling. I am hoping I can find a nice long T-Nut which will lift the ball high enough to get it out of the way. Something like these.

[​IMG]
  6. gpracer171

gpracer171 Kodak Courage

Oddometer:
    Paul at HDB sold me a ball from ram that replaced the handlebar clamp bolt. Works great.

Mike
  7. dasvis

dasvis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a RAM-B-367U
  8. lionsroaar

lionsroaar I meant to do that!!

Oddometer:
    Has anyone else had an issue where the Powerlet outlets don't fit in the holes at the bottom of the HDB upper clamp?

I have a 2009 TE610 and the handguards, mirrors, etc work great. I ordered a two outlet harness from Powerlet (the little outlets, not their cigarette lighter version) but when I try to drop them in the holes the threaded portion of the outlet won't go through. It looks like I need to drill out the top clamp more...?

I'm stumped...Help!

Thanks!
  9. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    I would send Paul at HDB an email and explain to him. His stuff is usually very accurate... must be something odd that happend, he'll make it right! :deal
  10. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    I agree. Mine are even black powder coated and my two powerlets went right in.
  11. 10Cup

10Cup Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put them on my R² along with a Protaper EVO bar and really like them. VERY strong on both the bars and guards. The mirrors are nice too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Machtig

Machtig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WR250R:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WR450F
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have found when you hit the ground real hard, they will rotate a little bit, but they go right back with a little force.
    [​IMG]
    calmconviction likes this.
  13. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:
    this is a VERY bad place for a ram mount ball if you are planning to mount a gps and riding offroad. for some reason though it wouldn't come completely out of the slot so my gps survived until I got home.

[​IMG]
  14. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:
    I have good success using the top clamp bolt replacement approach. Used on a couple bikes now.

[​IMG]
  15. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Did you talk to Paul about this?! I would definitely make sure he has seen this and see what he'd do about it. All you can do is ask!

I have my GPS mounted there and have put on over 1000 miles with no issues at all..
  16. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:
    The PO of the bike put the top clamp on, so as a 2nd owner I'm not even gonna bother asking. Had this happen with the bike and a leaking break line.

The metal there is just too thin to support much, especially offroad wise. I think for more street orientated riding or light offroad it might work good. This one broke on some of the trails at FMF so far from hard offroading.
  17. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Hey Tex,
    Just to clarify, this did NOT occur during a crash? Just bouncing around during regular offroad riding? Any other details (as in what size GPS, what length RAM arm, and what position it was in)? I never thought that area would break like that. Although, it was originally only intended to house the switches and not take the torque of a RAM ball and arm with weight on the end of it.

That being said, I've had a ram ball mounted there for 1 or 2 thousand miles with a Garmin 60CSX and the 3" arm, though I have the arm jutting out straight to the left almost touching the bars and not sticking up at all. Probably 40% of my riding is offroad but probably only 10 - 20% overall is in the really rough and rowdy stuff.

Thanks for posting this. I'll keep an eye on that area to see if I see any deformation or other signs of weakening. One more reason to have the GPS tethered to the handelbars while riding.
  18. merickk

merickk Living Folk Tale

Oddometer:
    No crashes, this was the worst that happened that weekend.
    [​IMG]
    just a minor nap that didnt come near the gps.

here was my setup.

[​IMG]

I've since made another bracket to use the ball stud mount and bolted it to the 2 holes directly in the top clamp though.

:dunno I think it was hitting all the waterbars up there in fourmile.
  19. tallrider

tallrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HDB went out of their way to make a custom top clamp for my HP2. The top clamp and guards are great. However, the mirrors did not give as clear a view behind the bike as I would like. I ride in LA traffic and situation awareness is a big part of not becoming a hood ornament here.

I bought a CRG Lane Split Hindsight mirror and set out modifying it to work. In order for the mirror to point straight out of the mount I machined away a bit of the socket area. I then turned a button that is 7/8" diameter in order to mount the mirror in the same location as the HDB mirror.

[​IMG]

The button allows you to rotate the mirror assembly into a stored position similar to that of the HDB mirror.
    [​IMG]

I will most likely make a new mounting arm as the button doesn't quite give enough clearance when rotating the mirror.

The CRG mirrors give a clearer view behind you. I find them better at being able to identify whats coming up behind you. The HDB mirrors are good the CRG just a little better. There also twice as expensive.
  20. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tallrider - that looks GREAT...

Question: do the HP2 and the 1200GS both have the same top clamp dimensions? Reason I ask is I have a 2009 1200GS 6,500 miles away from NYC and would like to have the HDB set-up as well, so figured if Paul already knows the dimensions, that's a bonus instead of eye-balling off a parked bike on the streets of NYC...:evil

Thanks!
    Nadim