1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Highway Dirtbike (HDB) 15% coupon - May 2011

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Chadx, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Hansgroper

Hansgroper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Setting up the DRZ 400s with mirrors, gaurds, bars, and top clamp. Could I get a coupon please.

thanks
  2. jamnjim

jamnjim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought an ADVdx top clamp with mirrors for my 09 DRZ 400 SM. I tried to mount the setup and encountered a problem. I'm hoping someone may have some alternate suggestions, before I start grinding on the beautifully finished ADVdx top clamp or my stock ignition switch bracket.

The stock ignition (key) switch bracket mounts properly on the bottom left hole of the ADVdx top clamp, but it won't swing far enough to the right to allow the top bolt hole of the ignition switch bracket to be centered on the top left bolt hole of the ADVdx top clamp because the black plastic ignition switch hits the upper left corner of the ADVdx top clamp (I need about 1/4"). I was going to buy a stock ignition switch mounting bracket and experiment (grind) with it, but I got on the Suzuki microfish and the ignition switch bracket is not sold separately, I have to buy an ignition switch, ignition switch bracket, helmet lock, and fork lock in order to experiment with the ignition switch bracket. Additionally, I can't figure out how to remove the ignition switch from the ignition switch bracket.

Any suggestions?
  3. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    I'm not familiar with the stock location of the ignition. Is it normally mounted to the top clamp or are you relocating it? Pics would help all of use visualize and maybe come up with a solution.
  4. fire_strom

fire_strom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got some stuff, thanks!
    Scott
  5. Suncruiser

Suncruiser and Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can I get a coupon please ? Thank you.
  6. farkleface

farkleface ridin dirty

Oddometer:
    need a coupon. ready to order a full set up.
  7. shelion

shelion Goddess of Fire

Oddometer:
    I have a question about the install (I looked at the instructions PDF but it didn't answer it.) I have a 2010 650GS twin with what appears to be the stock handlebars (bought it used.) Since the handlebar ends are already threaded, do they need to be re-tapped or do the HBD guards bolt into the existing threads?

If the answer is that they don't need to be re-tapped, then I'd like a coupon please since I'll be buying a set.

Thanks.
  8. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
  9. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Chad...is there a build plan out there for bits and hardware required for mounting the Ultimate HDB guards on the Super Tenere?

Did I miss it? I saw on wasp's thread, but the guy refers to bits from Acerbis.
  10. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Hi MoBill,
    I saw that comment in Wasp's Super Tenere thread and asked the OP if he used the Ultimate handguards or the standard, but haven't received a response as of yet. If they were as short as they looked in the images, my guess is he tried to fit the standard rather than the much longer Ultimate handguards, which are not only thicker, but longer and for big bikes. That poster did a work around to use Acerbis clamps to clamp the inside end of the handguards to the bars rather than to an HDB top clamp. Not a bad work around, but presumably not necessary if the larger Ultimate guards were sourced. Super Ténéré have bar end weights and that adds to the overall width by quite a bit. Like the BMW specific HDB kits that come with replacement bar end weights, there just might need to be something similar for the Super Ténéré .

Some Super Ténéré owners have ordered and installed HDB top clamps, but I don't know of anyone that has put on the Ultimate handguards as of yet. Still waiting for my ST to arrive so I can determine what, if any, changes in bar bend I want at which point I'll order up new bars, Ultimate handguards, top clamp, etc. Who knows, Paul might be willing to do another group buy by then. :D

Just so others know what we are talking about, here is one of the posters images showing how he clamped the inner end of the HDB handguard to the bars:
    [​IMG]
  11. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    Chad I'm confused about something: I scanned this list and found the DR650 entry, but what is the "1 1/8"' bar designation?? is that a suggestion, a requirement, or a mistake? or did they spin a template ONLY for non-stock-bar-size?

12. MoBill

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chad...I guess I'll wait to see what develops, which I normally have trouble doing--but sorting out the dash on this one is something I want to get right.

I like Zapp's quote there---thinking about how I'm going to mount a Ram ball...perhaps that instead of the mirror eyelet.
  13. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    That is if one wants to put 1 1/8" bars on the DR650; 100x38/40mm. If 7/8" bars are used, then the 100x33/35mm is the correct top clamp.
  14. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Yes, RAM part number RAM-B-367U CLICK HERE (that replaces one of the top clamp bolts) is the recommended RAM ball mount. The one that goes in a switch slot works great, too, but this way is more robust. As always, shop around for prices. I usually try to link to the manufactures site, as I've done here, but many retailers have better prices than from the manufacturer.
  15. clark-kentski

clark-kentski PartiallyBionic

Oddometer:
    Can i have a coupon please.
  16. MoBill

Oddometer:
    Right on.

From a tidy dash perspective...the eyelet off the mirror might just work better...have to see. Get that GPS up a little higher, and out of the way, within the same "sweep" as the mirror, since that area is already obstructed.

Current HDB topclap has a ball in the slot...but thinking that's going the way of the dodo and replacing it with a heat troller for the grips.
  17. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Dash layout is all a very personal thing so it's good for everyone to experiment and try different layouts until on finds what works the best for them.

I like having my GPS only slightly left of dead center so I don't have to run my head to the side to look at it. I have it on a 3" arm on a RAM ball on the left part of the handlebar top clamp. I slant it up and slightly outward to the left. This brings it up high enough so I don't have to tilt my head down as much which blocks my peripheral vision of the road (head tilted down blocks forward view with helmet visor). Also, for me, this is a location where I can get to it with my left hand if I need to zoom in or out or otherwise peck a button (riding with one hand off the bars is on a closed course only, of course).:D

This location also seems to protect the GPS from various abuse such as most branches when upright or any other projecting obstacles when not upright. If pressed, I could probably even come up with a theory on steering speed and mass centeralization on the bars. Ha. :lol3 I'm sure there are equally good reasons to locate the GPS outward on the bars, but this is what works for me currently...but I reserve my right to change that at any time.
  18. MoBill

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Yes....on a commuter, I will crowd things with shiite. And up and left is good, anything that demands intermittant attention, IMO, shouldn't require you to dip your head (much)...if you know what I mean, looking down into "the well" is bad (IMO) especially when you're fatigued and you tend to look for a longer period of time than you think you are.

Wow...TMI...I need my ST!!
  19. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Unimaginative Lab Rat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could I have a coupon please?
  20. Aarono2

Aarono2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I could really use a coupon. Pleeeease?