1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Highway Dirtbike (HDB) 15% coupon - May 2011

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Chadx, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:

alrighty so what exactly should i order...? :huh :lol3 kinda lost me in the middle there
  2. Toddwmac

Toddwmac ADV addict

Oddometer:
    In for the HDBfest
    Thanks
  3. Cigars&Scotch

Cigars&Scotch My eyes are up here Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what I am looking for my Airhead GSPD. It has been set up with custom triple clamp from a CR450x with a BRP sub mount. The is a Scotts reverse mount underneath.

I need to go and measure which one I would need, but thi would resolve all of my work arounds in my setup.

Is there anyway to cut off the tabs on th upper part of the mount where the hand guards mount be for it is sent to be anodized? My bike already has hand guards on it and it might give me some more clearance.
  4. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went back to double check the posts and see if I could answer some of the questions.

Here in general is how the damper setups affect assembly and ordering.

I don't support any top clamp mounted dampers, reason is I'd need to double or more my inventory of top clamp versions, and for the most part submts are a better solution.

So for submts in general the top clamps are 100mm or greater, reason being the makers of the submts standardize the one piece lower clamps that the damper must physically fit between and then machine the mounting holes to the upper triple to whatever the stock spacing is. This reduces the different setups needed to make the parts and costs. Scotts, BRP and GPR all do this.

The exception to this is like the KTM Scotts/BRP submt plate that sandwiches between the upper triple and the lower handlebar clamps.

So Jamm and Motorfiets, never seen a damper setup on a F800GS, but I'd bet even though the holes that mount to the upper triple are 98mm spread, that the bolt pattern is 100x38/40mm for the top clamp.

Here also, as Chad has mentioned, is a good example of a case where the templates could be of good use. Print them out and overlay them on the top clamp to be sure, because like in many cases, I haven't seen this setup before and can only give a best guess.

Now Motorfiets, your pic illustrates just how different some setups can be, nothing from the upper triple north is stock, but if you can imagine we're only interested in replacing the top clamp up, everything south does not affect fitment. So if in doubt, print out a template and overlay to check.

Gany, yes all the RalleMoto setups I've done so far have been 108x38/40mm. Those Aussie dudes like their clamps big.

FYYFF, All of the 9XX setups I've done with dampers have been with aftermarket upper triples, reason being the lowers are cast into the stock triple and the lowers are at an angle to the steering stem. It's critical to the function of the damper that the damper axis is concentric with the steering stem axis so that the damper doesn't bind while turning the bars.

So for your case the setup for a stock 990 is 90x38/40mm and the setup for a 990 with a Scotts upper triple and a damper is 100x38/40mm. Let me know which one you have or even post a pic.

farmerger, these are the requests that scare me the most and also will require the most info to get it right, I've seen some way out there bar bends on street bikes that the guards just aren't meant to fit.

I had to look up the 1200gs (I'm not a big street bike guy) and would need some pics of the cockpit area and the bar clearance with the bars turned at full locks to see about fitment and any interference. Some reservoirs can also be an issue, so please include those in the pics when you send them to me.

Hope all this helps more than confuses things.
  5. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    so should i order the 98x38/40 set or the 100 set? :ear
  6. Matttys

Matttys Matt the Balloon Guy

Oddometer:
    Any word on a Datel mounted top clamp? I talked to Paul and it was in the works a few months ago.

Can you please include me on the 15% coupon list.

Thanks!
  7. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I just took some calipers to my F8 top clamps (that came with the damper kit). I have the Scotts Damper sub mount underneath :D

I keep on getting 98x40 but please consider I am relatively inebriated and I was measuring at a funny angle :huh I am mostly certain it is 98x40 but you may want 1 more source. :lol3
  8. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  9. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    Looks like you're right EnderTheX, when I zoom in I can see it 98x38/40mm.
    I owe you a beer.

[​IMG]
  10. mxbulldog

mxbulldog Braaaap!

Oddometer:
    I am in for a set of handguards for an 09 F800GS. I will be going with all black anodized and the ADVdx clamp. Also will be ordering mirrors for both sides. Interested in the anti-vibe inserts as well.

I noticed in a couple of the pictures and drawings there was a mount for a Scosche ipod controller. Is this offered or was it a custom job? Would it be possible to get one and what kind of price would I be looking at? That is definitely the most sano way to mount that ipod controller I have seen yet!

I will also be looking to have my order shipped USPS to Canada.

Thanks,

Bruce
  11. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    would it matter however that I have the Rox Block Risers? :ear
  12. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul

No worries about the 1200GS once I have the risers I will get you the info. I will also be buying a set of pro tapers from you so bar bend will not be an issue. I will also ditch the stock bar end weights as well as the stock windshield so clearance should not be an issue.
  13. KOINZ

KOINZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Chad, sign me up. Missed the first one.
  14. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I would not think so, they usually copy the same mounting patterns... I would get a measuring device if you have access and check, even a good ruler might do the trick if you are careful :D
  15. MacG

MacG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like to sign up, Thanks !
  16. Skullsucker

Skullsucker Martin

Oddometer:
    Sure you got the PM already but just in case... I am IN!
  17. Chowdown

Chowdown Texas Aussie

Oddometer:
    please put me on the list, i was actually going to pull the trigger today and came to ADV looking for reviews.
  18. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    I measured the clamps... count me in! :D :deal
  19. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    I just got back from out of town. I've updated the "in list". If you are not there and should be, PM me.

Thanks to Paul for popping in and handling the heavy lifting. Some of those questions I would not have been able to answer so glad the expert jumped in. I'll try to sift through the last fews days worth of questions and see if there are any left unanswered and try to do so.

The official sale won't start until May, but we may start releasing some coupons, in batches of 10 or 15, a bit early in order to phase in the orders. That would be in the order of the "in list" to be fair. Stay tuned... :thumb
  20. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    why can I not find risers on their site?