1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Highway Dirtbike (HDB) 15% coupon - May 2011

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Chadx, Apr 18, 2011.

1. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    In, assuming I can save enough over the next month.
  2. dhawker

dhawker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in if the offer is available to us Canadians.
  3. Delta88

Delta88 Knurly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Chad. One more question: If someone were married to their top mount Scott's stabilizer and its custom top clamp, could the hand guards be ordered sans top clamp? I fully realize that this means some DIY fabbing to make everything mount up but, so far, that looks doable.
  4. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    I'll let Paul answer the bolt spec question.

Regarding purchases, order as many as you want! The coupon will be good for all of May, 2011. You can do one large shipment (just keep adding to your cart) to save on shipping, or, if you want to get in one set to look it over and then order another set, you can do that, too. You'll just pay for shipping twice. Up to the buyer.
  5. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Yep, Paul ships internationally. As the website states at check out, all international orderers will want to get a shipping quote from Paul BEFORE you order and are charged for shipping. The automatic shipping calculator will often come up with some outlandish and non-realistic shipping charges on international orders. Contacting Paul direction allows him to charge actual and also determine if USPS or UPS is the better shipper for each international address.
  6. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    Money can buy you anything! :evil Paul will have final say, but I imagine he could come up with a fair price on handguards alone minus the top clamp. You'll probably want to go ahead and get the bracket piece use to attach the handguards to the top clamp. It might save some fabbing if you can determine a way to attach that mount by simply tapping and bolting that mount onto your existing setup.
  7. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    By the way, for those that are curious about part numbers, the RAM ball that fits in the switch mounts of the HDB top clamp is RAM part number RAM-B-236U CLLICK HERE which is a 3/8"-16 with 1" ball available at many online retailers.
    [​IMG]
    Full disclosure: There has been one incident, on an older, out of production top clamp, where the above method of mounting broke out the top clamp switch area after a crash. I know of no other issues and have run my GPS on this type of mount, without incident, for around 6,000 miles. Still, the below mount option is even stronger and, therefore, recommended.

The following is RAM part number RAM-B-367U CLICK HERE that replaces one of the top clamp bolts.

[​IMG]

Mounted up, one of those looks like this (you can use it in any one of the four corners). Picture courtesy of ADVrider's K7MDL:
    [​IMG]
  8. dendrophobe

dendrophobe Motorbike Junky

Oddometer:
    Sounds good! I actually like that solution a little bit better anyway, just for positioning of the ram arm.

Now, when can we get those coupons? :deal

Money is just burning a hole in my pocket waiting for this! :lol3
  9. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    This brings up a good point, if anyone is needing parts due to a big upcoming trip, please PM me immediately (no making stuff up and "being anxious" doesn't count).

I should have the coupon out to everyone within the next 4 - 8 days. We are rolling it out in phases because dumping orders all at once will just "clog the pipe". Coupons are being issued in the order of the "in list" except for valid priority requests...of which Paul or myself will be the judge, jury and executioner.:gun1
  10. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leave may 27th for rtw for 3 months.... That count? :ear :lol3
  11. Frankko

Frankko Midnight Rambler

Oddometer:
    Chadx, I just got a new to me, stock 08 r2. Cant decide on the setup but I know it will be from HDB.

Can you put me on the list for the coupon?

nutzky
    afghnaistan
    on my way to Thailand
  12. supergper

supergper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In for sure. I've been meaning to put another order in. Thanks
  13. silentbutviolent

silentbutviolent n00b

Oddometer:
    Count me in as well. Thanks!
  14. Willia61

Willia61 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I missed the last buy, but I'm in now!

Thanks.
  15. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    I posted this in the WRR mega thread, but probably better here:

Here is a question I thought of on the drive home from work:

Since there are different bars(fat bars) and different bends, how do the hand guards compensate for the mounting differences??? And different widths of the bars??

Since everything is somewhat pricey, I am planning on getting a piece at a time....top clamp first with the discount, then bars, then the hard guards at some point.
  16. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

See how they mount to the top clamp? Screw in from the sides.
  17. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Are the mounts on the top clamp adjustable then??

NM Bill...Travis answered what i was getting at in the mega thread.
  18. VertigoCycles

VertigoCycles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in.
  19. Chadx

Chadx my toot toot

Oddometer:
    The slotted handguard end helps a bit, but most installations are not perfectly lined up. There would just be no way because of all the different makes and models of bikes and, as you mention, different bar bends (rise, pullback, and width).

The answer is you bend/adjust them as you install. Some setups are close enough that you can bolt everything up (loosely) to get all the bolts started, then draw everything together as you tighten it all down. To get a perfect fit, though, I have found it best to slightly bend them in specific spots. Note that you don't want to bend them right across any of the threaded holes, like hand shield holes, because they might deform the holes/threads too much to thread them.

As to method, no heat necessary (or recommended). I used my buddies vice. He has it set up to go in a 2" receiver on his work bench, rather than bolted, so he can move it out the of way when working on other things. Great idea, by the way. I mounted his vice in my truck's hitch receiver to get it nice and low so I could put some weight into it. When clamping, use a cloth or rubber to keep the vice teeth from marring the aluminum hand guards (especially if you have black anodized hand guards!). Plus you want to use some sense as to where you position the guards in the vice to ensure you create the bend where you want it. I used a combination of body weight and a dead blow mallet. Go a little at a time, check it, then bend a bit more. Perfection!
  20. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    As mentioned before i´m still not aware which measurements the Emig have. I have taken some crappy phone pics and ask if someone would look it through.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It does look like the measurements isn´t correct, but it is the angle and crap phone pictures which makes it look crazy.

:norton