1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Himalayas trip with Royal Enfield

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by vicstraveling, Apr 17, 2019.

1. vicstraveling

vicstraveling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey adv guys and gals -

My name is Victor and I’ll be driving up to the Himalayas in India... with my Royal Enfield Continental GT 535.

CEC59B42-1859-430F-AC55-4C24696EBCB4.jpeg

I started in Delhi a few days ago, and am currently sitting in Chandigarh (day 3) while a storm passes by. Tomorrow I’ll drive northeast to Shimla. On my bucket list is Spiti Valley, Manali, and of course Leh. This will be a trip lasting a bit less than 3 weeks.

Background on me: Last year, I quit the corporate life to take a break and go traveling. In a few weeks it’ll be my one year anniversary. I started in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia (no bike), followed by the balkans and Eastern Europe in summer/fall 2018 with a bike I bought in Slovenia - a 1999 CB500 <3.

And after traveling Thailand and Myanmar by train and bus the last few months, I made sure I got a bike here in India to travel around. So pumped to start this adventure and share it with you guys. Talk soon.
  2. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    Vic. Best wishes brother! You have an amazing experience ahead of you. I rode 9 months around India on a 500 Bullet a couple years back. Ummm......with all due respect....why a Continental? I cannot think of an Indian made bike that is less suited for the roads you will encounter. Could you enlighten us why you chose this bike?

Ps. For those who are not familiar with this bike the Continental is Enfields version of a cafe racer
  3. JoeBiker25

JoeBiker25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your adventure!!!
    vicstraveling likes this.
  4. grelcar

grelcar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Living a dream!
  5. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Welcome, Vic.

Ride what ya brung, bro.
    Give it hell, have a good time and bring back pictures :clap
  6. Balanda

Balanda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in. Looking forward to hearing how your trip goes. Nice looking bike btw.
  7. vicstraveling

vicstraveling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    9 months! Wow must’ve been an amazing experience. I only have two months and it’s wayyy too short.

Why the continental? Have you looked at the sex appeal on this thing?

Apart from the looks, I found it easier to maneuver than the bullet or classic 350, they’re like driving tanks. Plus, the GT was more affordable. I couldn’t find a good second hand Himalayan at the time. Now, would I get the continental again? Probably not. Am I having a BLAST with it? Hell yea.
    Balanda likes this.
  8. vicstraveling

vicstraveling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 4 started with a stop in Decathlon to buy a warm sleeping bag. I can’t wait to camp in Leh and it’s revered lake nearby.

2D3ED036-4BBF-47E8-BDFF-56E6C9D88DD3.jpeg

The 4 hour ride from Chandigarh to Shimla became 7 hours, as I started hearing funny noises on the bike. Mechanic #1 tighten the chain, noise gone. 20 mins later I hear an uglier noise. Mechanic #2 tells me it’s a sound coming from inside the engine and suggests I take it to the Royal Enfield shop 3 kms away. Could my journey up to the Himalayas be in jeopardy so soon? I couldn’t believe it.

All anxieties were put to rest at the RE shop. They worked their magic, and after 45 mins they fixed my left clutch and chain (which was too tight). Boom. Sound gone. They assured me the engine was A ok.

With a bike ready to go, two chai (tea), and only paying 118 rupees for the work (~ $1.75) - I felt like a lucky man! Back on the road to Shimla.

B47D78B8-A2F2-4CB9-937A-32B14B4768BC.jpeg

The turns and views driving up these hills and mountains are exhilarating, especially when factoring the local driving style. But once it started pouring I had to pull over and have a cup of chai complimentary of the friendly locals who let me park my bike under their roof. The sunset was an added bonus.

E7ABC7C1-B192-42EE-B57D-98E80C0AFB81.jpeg

AA09757A-3100-4E12-A8BA-82C8CC963E7B.jpeg

2 hours later riding through some very dark, dense, and wet roads highways... I made it to Shimla!

AA6171AE-D4A3-447C-9EDE-C6C6CA3DFC33.jpeg

The serenity of this place is unreal. After unpacking and checking into the guesthouse I took a moment to appreciate the silence and the views of this place at night. Stunning.

And after a day of ups and downs (get it?), the perfect ending to the night was a great tasting paneer dish :) Day 4 is a wrap.

9ED38040-CC88-46B0-AD49-6D870EA9480A.jpeg

Attached Files:

9. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep up the good work! Its appreciated. Pics are always good. Are you enjoying the food?
  10. Suqsuda

Suqsuda Secret Sharer

Oddometer:
    Best of luck on your trip. I did a similar route a couple years ago: Ambala-Shimla-Sarahan-Kalpa-Nako-Spiti Valley-Tandi-Sarchu-Leh, approx. 2 weeks, although a supported trip, not solo. I had a similar ride up to Shimla as you did, caught in monsoon rains and ran out of daylight. Looking forward to your pics and adventure.
  11. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    :thumb take lots of pics
  12. vicstraveling

vicstraveling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 4 started with a stop in Decathlon to buy a warm sleeping bag. I can’t wait to camp in Leh and it’s revered lake nearby.

View attachment 1639055

The 4 hour ride from Chandigarh to Shimla became 7 hours, as I started hearing funny noises on the bike. Mechanic #1 tighten the chain, noise gone. 20 mins later I hear an uglier noise. Mechanic #2 tells me it’s a sound coming from inside the engine and suggests I take it to the Royal Enfield shop 3 kms away. Could my journey up to the Himalayas be in jeopardy so soon? I couldn’t believe it.

All anxieties were put to rest at the RE shop. They worked their magic, and after 45 mins they fixed my left clutch and chain (which was too tight). Boom. Sound gone. They assured me the engine was A ok.

With a bike ready to go, two chai (tea), and only paying 118 rupees for the work (~ $1.75) - I felt like a lucky man! Back on the road to Shimla.

View attachment 1639056

The turns and views driving up these hills and mountains are exhilarating, especially when factoring the local driving style. But once it started pouring I had to pull over and have a cup of chai complimentary of the friendly locals who let me park my bike under their roof. The sunset was an added bonus.

View attachment 1639063

View attachment 1639058

2 hours later riding through some very dark, dense, and wet roads highways... I made it to Shimla!

View attachment 1639077

The serenity of this place is unreal. After unpacking and checking into the guesthouse I took a moment to appreciate the silence and the views of this place at night. Stunning.

And after a day of ups and downs (get it?), the perfect ending to the night was a great tasting paneer dish :) Day 4 is a wrap.

Street food is the best
  13. vicstraveling

vicstraveling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading to Spiti in the next day or so :) and hoping Leh opens up before my visa expires. Sounds like you did a lot in only 2 weeks!
  14. vicstraveling

vicstraveling Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Today is day 7 and I’m currently waiting out a storm on the side of a dairy shop in Rattanpur. I’m having myself the 4 magic Cs:

Chai
    Cheese
    Crackers
    Coke

Earlier today I made it to Hatu Peak, the 2nd highest peak in HP India at 3,400 meters high. The ride up was not for the faint of heart as it’s very narrow and steep roads covered in rocks, snow, mud, and oncoming traffic I think I peed my pants twice. None the less, it was really fun and the views at the top were good. 36C6EEB2-E035-4AC6-A328-3513754B3799.jpeg 2ADCF245-16ED-47F5-BD28-110997531225.jpeg

After leaving Narkanda this morning, my plan was to reach Kalpa by sunset as I heard it’s worth checking out. It’ll have to wait for next time.

As for the last few days... I spent my time in Shimla and Kufri, before arriving in Narkanda (Hatu) last night.

Here are pics of my ride from Shimla to Kufri, which one do you like better - the Continental or the Yak?

AFDAFE17-134B-47EF-9079-0F504E2F5E21.jpeg
    B5C64E4E-7F3F-4BBC-911D-241A02080E36.jpeg

Ooo and if you’re in Shimla go to Jakhu Hill at sunrise, it’s a magical place with A LOT of monkeys. Plus the Hanuman statue is said to be standing on the highest elevation in the world.

B554C507-79B7-4285-99AE-D987CE3972F5.jpeg
    D0906A1B-A663-48D3-BBF1-B009108D8798.jpeg

Looks like the skies are clearing up. Kalpa is waiting, until next time

Attached Files:

dave6253 likes this.