"Hippies From The Coast Tour" aka Tour d'Wildfires

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MongoLikeCandy, Aug 30, 2020.

1. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    went thru Yellowstone in the mid 70's - early spring.
    there was a Pantera driving down the main drag - with 4 or 5 people hanging on - riding on top of the car.
  2. Idarider

Idarider R1200GS

Oddometer:
    Glad you were able to have some fun, too bad yellowstone was back to normal or worse, been there when there was no more camping, almost deserted in June when I went through. The park averages about 8000 ft in elevation, with West yellowstone at about 6700 so it turns to winter anytime of year.
    I have friends who ride tires with steel showing. I always saved my take offs for one of them. On another bike he had went over the handlebars with a front blow out.
  3. MongoLikeCandy

MongoLikeCandy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

"Hippies From The Coast Tour" aka Tour d'Wildfires - Day 18

Wendover > Tonopah

IG Feed -
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CFMG7KlB74k/?igshid=q7bzmd6hmact

blasting across The Nevada desert on the 6 just grinding it out. brutal head winds, temperatures fair, made a stop at a most amazing cafe in Ely. super good food. best and biggest cinnamon bun you've ever put in your mouth. homemade chili and the burger was to die for.

on to Warm Springs. middle of nowhere, NV. boarded up and closed of course I went in....too hot though....supposedly heavy water?!

http://www.rachel-nevada.com/places/faultless.html

we.....will....see!!!

#LRRHTourdWildfires2020
    #HippiesFromTheCoastTour2020
    #RealtorInLeather
    #ItalianMistressNo1
    #ItalianMistressNo4
    #MakeAmericaBlueAgain
    #AdventureTouring
    #MotoGuzzi
    #V85TT
    #V7iispecial IMG_20200916_003229_755.jpg
  4. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:

"Kalifornia Hippies From The Koast Tour" aka Tour d'Wildfires - Day 19

Tonopah, NV > Independence, CA

IG Feed -
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CFM5dHIlyJr/?igshid=1xyjy44ah1t0w

Landing in the turn of the century silver boom town of Tonopah, Deirdre found this great old hotel called the "Mizpah" which has been restored to its turn of the century gloriousness by a nice couple from Sonoma. #1 Haunted Hotel in the US, completely authentic and very well done it was one of our nicer stays I thought.....lots of history there, apparently the couple are restoring the town building by building. what a great thing to do, not let these towns die...ss they are part of history.

10 miles down the dusty, gravely Powerline road we sought out Alkali Hot Springs, one of the better Hot Springs we came across. very rustic, dry and dusty with a couple of friendly gals soaking, camping nearby. at the Hot Springs was a small pool of fresh drinking water and from our soak we could see wild burro, wild horse, and wild antelope taking turns coming and drinking from the cool pools in the hot mid-day sun. it was a beautiful scene in the middle of the Nevada desert.

After a couple hours of story telling, sharing, soaking, and making camp coffee for everyone we put our leathers back on and headed out the to 266 across the Nevada desert to the state line where we found the 166, an incredible twisty, smooth, desolate, narrow road that topped 3 passes and eventually dropping us down into the smokey Owens Valley to our hotel in Independence, CA.

it was a good day on the motos.

#LRRHTourdWildfires2020
    #HippiesFromTheCoastTour2020
    #RealtorInLeather
    #ItalianMistressNo1
    #ItalianMistressNo4
    #MakeAmericaBlueAgain
    #AdventureTouring
    #MotoGuzzi
    #V85TT
    #V7iispecial 20200915_123306.jpg
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  5. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    Independence, CA > Home (via Death Valley)

IG Feed -
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CFPozQ0F79b/?igshid=dmj17iv8xwg2

IG Feed 2 -
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CFPq885FNte/?igshid=v5nf9a64ixl5

this was a 406 mile day. my phone shut down due to over heating (had to put it in the cooler at stovepipe wells, death valley), so thats why it didnt follow my route. lost track of the calendar too we are back 4 days early, due back on 21st.

Independence, CA - we woke up to what the rest of California was experiencing. complete and total wildfire Armageddon, and we landed at Ground Zero. you couldn't see down the street. packed up, rolling to Lone Pine for breakfast the air was choking, burning the eyes and throat, this shit freaks me out. I said over the intercoms

"if we cut through Death Valley it will clear up, it will add miles/time but it won't be the boring, lung burning, eye searing slog through smoke AND desert heat of the 395"

I under-assumed and under-estimated how may miles/time it would add to our final leg, fucking humans and their mistakes. there was difference of opinion in the middle of the road, in searing heat, at the bottom a Death Valley. a surreal, outter body experience that was. but sharks never swim backwards, we pressed ahead, at our respective, i.e. different paces, i plug in the self soothing, "all good, nothing to see here, easy does it" cassette. the road opens.

I found an amazing Hot Springs in the southern end of death valley, "Tecopa". it took me a while to find it, as it is off the beaten path buried in a maze of "Hot Springs ghost town startups" complete with Slab City vibe, where the "turn on, tune in, drop out" humans go to "drop out", a place were many different folks made a go of it, for a spell, before death valley swallowed them whole.

"You can't succeed, you can't fail, if you don't try"

the surroundings gave me pudding for the mind, with our upcoming "sell it all, move to Sicily or wherever" journey coming up. yes, pudding for the mind.

nekked, I soaked for a while with my new friend "Chien" hails from Taiwan (via Las Vegas). we laughed together in our broken communications in the middle of this desolate lonely place, laughing and present with each other. he was a happy man.

post HS soak...revitalized, centered, my body and mind floated down the road to the 15 at Baker, to another type of ghost town....ghosts of truck stop lost souls in the Roadside Americana Attraction Circuit ..... bizarre crazy stuff going on there, the latest one is @alienfreshjerky .... I can't describe the place or what's inside other than beef jerkey, candy, soda, touched with "medicine/medication"....all the goodies in a different package, it's a roadside fun house of madness and yes I had to stop and buy a bunch of crap there .... so it worked!!!

oddly enough I passed by the trashed out, abandoned motel where I woke up one morning on a shredded mattress disposed on a dusty, dirty floor .....the place where i had my last drink some +14 years ago. a wink, a nod, smiling I hit the starter and jam down the road.

jumping on the 15, the long slab home was not as bad as I thought.....smooth sailing, drafting big rigs in the cool night desert air.

it was a good day on the motos
    Amphib likes this.
  6. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
  7. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    under a death valley sun

IMG_20200917_092552_480.jpg
    astros50, Ginger Beard and Amphib like this.
  8. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    into the abyss, death valley 2020

20200917_072558.jpg
    astros50, Ginger Beard and Amphib like this.
  9. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
  10. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    too much sun? maybe. or smoke.
  11. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    c) both
    yamalama likes this.
  12. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Irrespective of what the signs say, a hot springs/pool requires investigation and assessment.
  13. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    i see you recovered. didn't take long.
    the delete gave it away. : )
  14. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    all good. glad you enjoyed it. if you miss that work of art im happy to send it to you.
    yamalama likes this.
  15. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    assessment = git nekked

investigation = git in
    Ginger Beard and RedDogAlberta like this.
  16. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    20200919_082142.jpg
    yamalama and astros50 like this.
  17. Pbro63

Pbro63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MongoLikeCandy likes this.
  18. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    my pleasure! glad you enjoyed it!
  19. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    And the rear seal got you home, eh?
    MongoLikeCandy likes this.
  20. MongoLikeCandy

Oddometer:
    yeah....and still going strong....so strange....gotta be a coupla quarts in the rear pumpkin man.

my theory....it leaks when parked on the side stand leaning to drivers left. it leaks into the hub.... not enough to overflow when it's parked, just enough to pool up in the hub, so when you start rolling it throws it out of the hub in one area, one spot on the wheel/tire that's my theory....all holes (fill, draon, vent) are and have been bone dry the whole journey. odd.
    DiggerD likes this.