Historic Logging Sites and Equipment

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by DiggerD, Mar 14, 2018.

1. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Nice handle on the sledge hammer.:D:D
  2. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All my hammers have pipe handles, i got a fairly powerful swing.........but it is a bit on the wild side, some times the handle gets in the way of the target. One thing the steel handle does is make you a better shot,cuz it hurts like hell when ya miss and hit that steel handle !!
  3. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    320 Cat front idler track tension spring
    " bolt " repair. Its a bolt, bout 2" diameter and 3 ft long. Goes through a huge spring that needs to be some what compressed to get nut on the end of bolt. Cat shop has proper tools to safely do this.......but we aint in the shop. It can be done without special tools........but count your fingers when your done. Not a job for the faint of heart !! But just another day at the office ! 20190510_142226.jpg
  4. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Built a couple 4000 lb counter weights for a new JD log loader and a JD processor. Two hunks of 2" thick solid steel stacked on top of each other......my co-pilot and boss is "barking" 20190614_100148.jpg orders in this pic
  5. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The bolts that had to be removed and replaced with longer ones to hold on counter weight were BIG, 36mm diameter 18" long. Had to have them special made from a bolt manufacturer . Had to remove 4 old to short bolts from each machine. Them bastards were TIGHT. Got 7 of them out, last one exceded the square 1" drive shank of my torque multiplier. Its a four to one planitary style. So if i put in 100 lbs of force, it puts out 400 lbs. Yip, we de-horned that bastard........cutting torch to the rescue !! 20190614_190849.jpg
    Watercat, Ride Now, rg sw wa. and 2 others like this.
  6. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What wood summer be without this shit !
    This year was better than the last few as far as smoke is concerned, but any smoke is to much ! 20190703_160253.jpg
    Ride Now, rg sw wa. and DiggerD like this.
  7. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Watercat, Ride Now, RockyRue and 7 others like this.
  8. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another WTF ? 20200111_215712.jpg
  9. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi-track 5 rear idler rebuild. On a skidding hi track cat, the high amount of load on the rear of machine wears the steel out on the idlers fast ! So we remove them and wrap them with 3/8 flat bar and hard face them if the bushings are still in good shape an get some more life out of them. 20181019_114540.jpg
  10. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    748 JD skidder: issue, running out of power in the most in-opertune of times. After some investigating i come to the conclusion theres shit in the fuel tank plugging the suction. Remove tank cut it open and find this in the tank !! 20190417_152026.jpg
  11. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same 748 JD skidder a week later with the same problem ??? WTF?? Same issue not enough fuel coming from tank ! Hmmm ? Take tank out,and cut it open AGAIN........WHOOPS, somebody left a towel in the tank after wiping it clean before he welded the holes shut ! Wonder who that was ?? 20190603_161541.jpg
  12. big jer

big jer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Worst break down of the year...ME 20190925_151004.jpg
    rg sw wa. and DiggerD like this.
  13. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Oh holely shit Jer..
    But not to worry, that should buff right out.:D:D:D
    Dang....that hard to look at....two drain lines?
    Now there's a story !
    Shure hope that was a scheduled event.

I work in a small shop, with basic small pussy power tools compared to what you use.
    Some times I get "help" from the carpet dwellers using the power tools.
    I tell them to count their fingers before they start using any power tools and I point out the first aid kit on the wall.:lol3

Thanks for the photos, really adds to this collection.
  14. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    Stored my bike in the pump house to work on in the rainy season and wanted to keep the field mice from storing feed over the summer.
    Rain comes in and time to work on the bike.
    Bike started, but could not get it started again...found this...oppppsssss.:lol3:lol3
    Enjoy your time off. Good time as any to be out of the woods and in front of the wood stove.

PC010075.JPG
  15. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Big Jer for posting all those pics. It puts a perspective on what a year's work entails in your line if these are "just the highlights"! Fuel tanks, my guys find tons of crud in boat fuel tanks along with dropped tools, floating, gelatinous mats of algae and dirt. Dirt, really!? dd
    rg sw wa. and big jer like this.
  16. DiggerD

Oddometer:
    I was standing behind my cousin when he customized my car fuel tank while filling a hole brazing.

I had water in the tank trying to get the fumes out, but dad got riled with the well pump running, so I switched to snow.

My hurried cousin said e-nuf, let's get with it. Things were looking good until he got the pool a little to hot and holed thru.

Snow and water shot out the fill hole 10 feet and turned the tank into a huge hot dog shape.

"Guess were done here" he said and dragged his tanks back home thru the snow.:photog
    outbacktm, big jer and dammitdave like this.
  17. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    At 1st look at the fuel tank, I thought you found sunglasses in the tank....that would be a story..
    The rag I get, anything to keep Mickey & Minnie out.....

I use a block on wood on the intake....They don't like the taste of treated wood....
    rg sw wa., DiggerD and outbacktm like this.
  18. oldmonkeybut

oldmonkeybut ATHLETIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been there done that! Never fun. Why is it every time I have one of those it's never on flat ground or anywhere I can get my truck close to? I carry a hammer like that in my service truck and hate having to drag it out. For some reason that hammer looks the same as it did 40 years ago but it sure doesn't feel the same.
  19. oldmonkeybut

oldmonkeybut ATHLETIC Supporter

Oddometer:
    We get dirt and crap in fuel tanks, radiator tanks and other places it doesn't belong thanks to vandals. There are some crafty jerks out there. each time we come up with a new locking system they find a new way to defeat it. Worst fuel blocking item to date....the common condom. Almost impossible to see in the tank and very effective at blocking fluid transfer.
  20. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When we were kids in Seattle and they were building 520 bridge and the I-5 freeway, we tried to start the dozers, but never caused any harm to them...I have no idea what we would have done if the D-12's or whatever started......
    We did move the grade pins around..They still figured it out and everything lined up..
    I have no idea why ..#=*$..have to destroy other's property...
    I was 10-12yrs old.......Sorry for being a stoopid kid.......:baldy....
    rg sw wa. likes this.