1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Hodakaguy's Overland Tacoma Builds - on to new adventures.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Hodakaguy, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link...When it's cold outside and I want to use a space heater in my "older" Winnebago I've been running an extension cord out a window..
    This would be much neater, as in up to your expectations, The electrical service in these older rigs has a tough time...No fires please...
  2. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    No insulation on these trucks.

Hodakaguy
  3. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    That plug should work great in that application. I'm going to install one on the outside and inside of my house as well to use as a pass through for our small honda generator during power outages to keep the pellet stove and refrigerator running.

Hodakaguy
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  4. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Solar and ACR’s. I’m running a total of 4 batteries on our truck/camper. Two AGM deep cycle batts in the camper and two AGM batts in the truck. I have an ACR (Automatic Combining Relay) under the hood that ties the truck battery and Aux battery together when the alternator is charging and the FWC has its own ACR that connects the camper batteries to the truck AUX batt when the alternator/truck is charging.

Both of the ACR’s are dual voltage sensing so when the solar charge controller starts bringing the voltage up in the camper batteries the camper ACR pulls in and starts charging the trucks AUX battery. When the trucks AUX batt starts charging the trucks ACR pulls in and starts charging the trucks starting batt. Now all 4 batts are charging off the solar controller.

With AGM batteries requiring a higher bulk charge voltage than standard lead acid batteries this setup allows the solar controller to bring all 4 batts up to proper charge of 14.7 volts, important for a full charge and longer battery life on AGM Batteries..

I’m going to add a switch on the campers ACR to give me the ability to turn off the ACR for times when I want the solar to just charge the camper batts ( days with limited sun when your not driving, this ensures the best charge of the camper batteries since everything the solar panel produces will go only to the camper batteries).

Charge controller in action.

[​IMG]

The trucks drivers side Aux battery, the camper's ACR is pulled in and the Aux battery is charging. You can see the trucks ACR (located on top of the battery) pulled in as well and providing power to the trucks passenger side starting battery.

[​IMG]

Passenger side starting battery charging.

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
    Te Hopo, crk, cbr600 and 8 others like this.
  5. scot_douglas

scot_douglas Dirt Harley Lovin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I loved my MPPT charge controller I set up in my old camper. 180W, 32V panel gave me 10A charge in full sun. :)
    I used their IPN-pro remote with the shunt - was awesome for tracking battery capacity when we boondocked.
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  6. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Installed the SSO Slimline Hybrid bumper on my fathers truck on Friday.

I'll post a couple pictures of the install here but I typed up a complete How-To article on installing the Bumper/Winch over at TacomaWorld. For full install details and pics click here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...nstall-guide-how-to-article-with-tips.545427/

Getting the bumper, winch and light bar ready for installation on the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Truck trimmed to accept the bumper . We did the same modifications to the factory lower bracing that we did on my build to allow clearance for the WARN ZEON winch, more details in the link at the top of this post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the bumper installed. I really like the looks of this bumper on the truck, looks very factory and clean.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So yesterday I was running around town and stopped at REI to look for a hat. When I pulled into the parking lot I saw my fathers truck already there so I parked next to him and went inside. My father was already inside.....looking at hats LOL.

Identical twins (Minus the camper/canopy)

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
    marret, MaddBrit, Blakebird and 26 others like this.
  7. dhawker

dhawker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "So yesterday I was running around town and stopped at REI to look for a hat. When I pulled into the parking lot I saw my fathers truck already there so I parked next to him and went inside. My father was already inside.....looking at hats LOL. "

Hey, so where is the picture of you and your dad in your new matching hats? :lol3
    Love the build, keep it coming.
  8. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it ain't just about the trucks.
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  9. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Twinsies!
  10. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Dumb Q - I was looking at tires for my van and when I asked the local tire place about BFGs they scoffed and said there are much better tires around for road noise, ,snow performance, yet off road capability (Toyo Open Country AT2 was their recommendation). Any thoughts?
  11. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    Do the stock mirrors give you enough vision around the camper?
    Looks kind of close.
  12. tominboise

tominboise Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am not Hodakaguy, but I strongly prefer the Open country M/T over the A/T. I’ve had both and found the M/Ts to have better traction in snow then the A/ts. Also way better for rock crawling, etc. I have run them on an 89 series landcruiser and a Duramax Silverado.
  13. Lonerrider

Lonerrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh no, tire thread!!!
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  14. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Oops. No need to answer then HG. I don't want to hijack the thread. I just know you do your research on topics and I frankly know zilch about all terrain tires. The tire guys scoffed at the BFG so much that I figured it was just a sales tactic (which irritates me as much as I like these tire guys) but when I saw the BFG on HG's truck I figured he must 'be in the know'.
    simbaboy likes this.
  15. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Excellent work... however I can't believe the Mog is gone! Just getting caught up on this build...

When I installed my Warn 9.5 TIc I vaguely recall a warning to not use the small post connections... now it might have been referring to the old GM style side posts cuz it's been a while. Anything like that in your Zeon winch installation instructions?
  16. Cycle61

Cycle61 making it up as I go Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run the Toyo AT2 on my work trucks (1/2 ton service vehicles) and have for years. Very good all around, eminently capable in mud/snow/gravel/dirt without sacrificing highway manners.
  17. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    I snagged a hat there...but my dad didn't :-)

Hodakaguy
  18. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    I've ran the KO2's in the past and really liked them so decided to go with them again on this build. I've always found decent traction with them and a quiet ride on the highway, they are doing great so far on the Tacoma. I had Toyo AT's on my last truck and they worked great as well, although they seemed to wear a little quicker than the KO2's. The KO2's are a heavy tire though, if your looking for a lighter tire others have less ply's.

Hodakaguy
  19. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    I was concerned about this before I went and picked up the camper and the lack of available tow mirror's with these trucks. I can actually see quite well around the camper with the stock mirrors though, no need to modify or replace them.

Hodakaguy
  20. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    I've ran those as well but the MT tires will wear a lot faster than the AT's and are WAY louder on the highway. All depends on how you will use the tires and where you use them the most. For my use AT's are the better choice.

Hodakaguy
    Shady Pass David likes this.