1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Hodakaguy's Overland Tacoma Builds - on to new adventures.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Hodakaguy, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installed the passenger side Group 35 Northstar Batt in my fathers truck this morning.

First up I drilled a hole and inserted a Rivet Nut to secure the bottom of the OffGridEnginnering Aluminum Mount. As I found out on my mount OffGridEngineering made this mount for the second Gen and decided not to relocate the lower hole to the proper location for the 3rd Gen trucks. The mount seems to flex more than my liking without the lower bolt so adding the Rivet Nut allows the mount to be secured properly again.

The Rivet Nut Tool, here a Rivet Nut is inserted on the end of the tool and ready to be put in the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Rivet Nut installed in the truck. There is a hole very close to where the Rivet Nut needs to be inserted, the hole just needs to be enlarged towards the rear of the truck a bit to accept the Rivet Nut.

[​IMG]

Battery Mount bolted into the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the battery securely in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wiring to come soon....

And now a Quick fix for the factory screen door slider: The factory clear plastic slider on our screen door is frustrating at best. When you go to slide it I've found that you have to put even pressure on the upper and lower finger holds while sliding otherwise the slider often binds and doesn't want to slide..... Time for a fix.

Here's a few pictures of the clear factory slider panel. You can see the molded finger grabs in these pics, they work ok if you grab both of them at the same time but the slider often binds when using only one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now the fix. I Went to the hardware store and picked out two matching drawer pulls. Pick ones that have a wide flared base for better support.

[​IMG]

I cut one of the bolts down so that each half of the bolt threads almost completely into each pull. Screw the bolt into one of the knobs and mark where it bottoms out (Black marker), then doubled the length and cut the bolt just shy of the total so it leaves enough space to tighten the knobs together tightly without them binding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next I Drilled a hole in the door slider right between the two factory finger holds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Applied LocTite on the threads and installed the new knob assembly onto the slider.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The slider now slides smooth every time using the new knob since your applying pressure evenly on the top and bottom of the slider, it's also a lot easier to grab than the factory finger holds. The knob has plenty of clearance and doesn't interfere with anything. This will make the screen door a lot nicer to use and cost only $3!

Hodakaguy
    Te Hopo, marret, MaddBrit and 9 others like this.
  2. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good, how did you label the rocker switch?
  3. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did almost the same on my motorhome screen door and the house storm door.
    I chose a stainless looking 5.5" long handle / pull..with 2 1" legs the screws go to thru the doors. They are about 3" from each other and work swell!:wings......
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  4. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    The switch was already labeled and made for this purpose.

Hodakaguy
  5. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    What’s better on the rear camper door than...well a vinyl graphic of your own truck lol. A member on another forum made up a graphic out of one of my photo's and sent it to me, I used that image to cut the sticker out on a Plotter.

Doesn't look as plain now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
  6. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    The decal is an awesome touch...

Is the tab/latch above it to keep the door open.
  7. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Thanks, yeah that's the door catch to hold it open.

Hodakaguy
  8. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Sticker Version #2. While I liked the sticker on the camper door it wasn't quite what I wanted. It was missing the Snorkel (The graphic is from a photo before the snorkel was installed) and I didn't care for the swirly lines behind the truck/camper......sooooo off the sticker comes. Did a bit of work in the editing program and added in the Snorkel then cleaned up the lines behind the truck & Camper.....Diggin this version :-)

I'll be making up a batch of patches and stickers soon as well :-) Fun stuff.

First Version:

[​IMG]

Removing the sticker is a pain...heat gun and patience.

[​IMG]

And Version 2 installed:

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
  9. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is your decal/ sticker friend interested in doing more?......I am upriver of you just a few miles, Chelan....
    Just asking......And not of your ride...Coming down the Highway today there was a tan Tac coming towards me and my brain goes!!!...H.D.!...Then I noticed it was stock.......:wave........
  10. Smidty

Smidty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would have centered the writing under the sticker :patch

But that's a very nice sticker :super
  11. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    My dad was up that way with his truck yesterday, at first I thought you were going to say you seen him :-). Sure send me the photo your wanting made, just shoot me a PM.

Hodakaguy
    Shady Pass David likes this.
  12. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:

Yeah I'm playing with the logo...I actually moved it some to the left again after that shot was taken. I have a different idea for the "Hodakaguy" portion of the logo, just have to get time to design it.

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
    Cycle61 likes this.
  13. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Cab mount chop time.....

As the suspension has settled in and we've added more weight to the front of the trucks we've been getting occasional rubbing at full turn on the cab mounts. Time to trim back the cab mounts for more clearance.

Starting on my dads truck first, drivers side.

[​IMG]

Tire removed. You can see the marks where the tire has been rubbing on the cab mount (Blue Arrows).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We covered the suspension in a heavy plastic bag to keep metal dust off during the cutting process, we also loosened the bottom of the inner fender liner and tied it up out of the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marked out our cut lines. Will be trimming as much as we can for max clearance.

[​IMG]

Getting down to business with a Skinny Wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cutting finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My father cutting out a paper pattern so we can make up a new metal plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cutting out the new plate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting ready to weld the plate onto the cab mount. My father wrapped a piece of leather around the cab mount bushing to help protect it from the heat, he then routed it down through the lower access hole. After the plate is welded in place you just pull on the leather and it will come right out.

[​IMG]

Welding the new plate in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Primed and Painted.

[​IMG]

While I was here I decided to fold over the factory pinch weld a bit for extra clearance, hasn't been rubbing here but it's extra insurance and easy to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is to re-install the inner fender liner. The liner had been touching the tire slightly in one spot, there is a bulge that sticks out but has nothing under it. I used a heat gun and re-shaped it by pushing the bulge in and holding it till cool. Instant clearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the tire back on the truck. Plenty of clearance now on the cab mount. I got a little sloppy with the paint on this one....I'll mask it off better on the passenger side.

Out of time for today....More to come..

Hodakaguy
    Mr. Fisherman, Questor, Ridge and 4 others like this.
  14. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What plotter are you using to cut the decal?

Looking great as always!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  15. eric1514

eric1514 TRUMP 2020

Oddometer:
    When you weld on the frame of your truck, do you have to disconnect the batteries (both chassis and house) to avoid zapping sensitive electronics?
    Daniii likes this.
  16. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    I can’t remember the model right off hand, but I’ll find out

Hodakaguy
  17. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    You just need to be aware of where the current will be flowing. You never want to put your ground lead between the work and anything electronic, I clamped the ground on the frame right next to the work.

Hodakaguy
  18. eric1514

eric1514 TRUMP 2020

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. Thanks.
  19. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    There goes the warranty :lol3

Great work as always. I wish I had carried your and your dads tools while I was growing up.
    keepshoveling and Hodakaguy like this.
  20. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Made a quick trip down to the Evergreen Air and Space Museum and water park this weekend in McMinnville OR. The Museum is defiantly a must see...although this time we were after the water park for the kiddo :-)

Arriving at the Museum...you can see the Spruce Goose though the glass.

[​IMG]

At the water park before opening, all the tube rides originate from up inside the 747 on the roof! Very cool.

[​IMG]

Out back of the Museum is a Rutan Starship! This plane is way to cool and rare to be sitting out in the rain.

[​IMG]

Setting up "camp" for the day at the water park. The camper is nice for a home base.

[​IMG]

Inside the water park. The air and water are both very warm....nice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We didn't have time to go into the Air and Space museum this time around but I've been there several times in the past. If you haven't been here before it's a must see. Here's a couple shots of the Spruce Goose from a previous trip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way home we stopped for a few quick photos along the way :-)

The first picture is straight out of camera with an in camera filter applied, Olympus EM1 and Oly 75mm F1.8 Lens (had a couple questions about the camera setup). Mt Hood in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fun stuff.

Hodakaguy