Hodakaguy's Overland Tacoma Builds - on to new adventures.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Hodakaguy, Dec 31, 2017.

1. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Why are there double bushings on the rear end of the OME leaf spring? Guessing for a lift? But not on the front?
  2. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s the leaf spring shackle
  3. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    ahh, got it.
  4. Camarodude

Camarodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the wheel cylinder and caliper piston sizes are not roughly the same size, wouldn't something have to be done with the proportioning valve?
  5. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today's Progress.

Started back on the drivers side rear. Here I'm installing the new bracket for the lower shock mount. A new hole is required here as part of the mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shock installed, I love the integrated rock shields for the shaft on the shock....all shocks should come with this feature! I put a dab with a yellow paint pen on each bolt that has been torqued to final specs. Some bolts will need to wait until the truck is setting on the tires again before receiving final torque.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear shock installed...minus the res mount.

[​IMG]

The upper assembly for the Firestone air bags. The instructions show the big silver through bolt turned around the other way but it extends to far that way and will interfere with the reservoir mount, if your running both airbags and OME shocks the bolt needs to be oriented in this direction.

[​IMG]

Reservoir mount installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting ready to have the tires mounted on the new wheels, we removed my fathers front wheel to verify clearance on the calipers before diving in and having the tires installed. Calipers cleared so mounting is a go!

[​IMG]

Tires mounted up. The wheels are AX201 16"x8" Zero Off Set, Tires are BFG KO2 285/75-R16. Here the tire is just leaned up against the hub to get a sneak peak on how it's going to look, the tires won't stick out this much once mounted properly. I really like the look against the Quicksand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RCI Sliders showed up today, these babies are very solid and quality looks very good as well. Can't wait to get them painted and on the truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the passenger side rear spring installed and the upper portion of the air bags loose fit. That's enough for today.

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

The truck should have rear discs but in reality there would be little to no performance benefits. If I recall correctly the Tacoma has a shorter stopping distance than it's nearest competition, the GM twins. Maybe if the rear was heavily weighted??

I'd cautious as far as the disc conversion goes. With crawl control, the "LSD", MTS, etc.. modes all interacting with brake line pressure I'd want to be sure changing the braking mechanism didn't knock that shit out of its normal operation parameters. I'd just make sure someone with the exact same truck package had vetted that out fully before committing.
    Tallbastid, Te Hopo and jersey jim like this.
  8. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:

There are people working on it....I don't have any desire at this point to install rear disk though.

Hodakaguy
    Tallbastid and scot_douglas like this.
  9. jersey jim

jersey jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love my 2nd gen '15 Tacoma TRD Sport, but if I was to buy a 3rd gen it would be just like these, quicksand TRD Off Road. And the black wheels will set it off just right. I'd probably go with the 4Runner TRD Pro wheels personally, I love those wheels. The good suspension parts and gearing upgrade are icing on the cake. Looks like an awesome project. Looking forward to seeing these things in the wild when they're done.
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  10. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I have the TRD Pro wheels on my 16' Tacoma TRD OR, but the truck is silver and the wheels are the grey ones.
    Hodakaguy and jersey jim like this.
  11. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    With regard to your yellow paint dots..... when i paint mark a torqued bolt, i make sure to dab it in the bolt threads as well. How else will you know if something is coming loose.

thats just my version of OCD

BTW, truck looks great!!
    Night_Wolf, Hodakaguy and manstache like this.
  12. manstache

manstache Flounder of ADV

Oddometer:
    crk and villageidiot like this.
  13. FishHunt

FishHunt slow poking...

Oddometer:
    Nice trucks and great choice going with OME. I had a Wrangler with one of their lifts and the quality of there springs and parts was outstanding.

<>< Fish
    Tallbastid likes this.
  14. beemerkid

beemerkid Do you ADV

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a set of their skid plates at the factory for my f150, and they are nice stuff. I wish they made the sliders in my cab length so I could have gotten them too.
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  15. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    Question: what are you guys using for bolt marking? Paint pens?
    Hodakaguy likes this.
  16. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    at work, i take a little "safety yellow" and shoot it into the cap of a spray paint can, and dab it on with a skewer, its pretty much how mercedes did it back in the day (50's and 60's)

i also use the paint pens on things i build on the bench. but they don't "flow" very well.
    Hatch, crk and Hodakaguy like this.
  17. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:

I've done that in the past as well, it's a good practice. I used to have some tubes of Torque mark, it's thicker and very easy to spot when cracked...Link: CLICK HERE.

Hodakaguy
    Hatch and villageidiot like this.
  18. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    It looks like quality stuff, very HD and well built. I built sliders for our VW Syncro but didn't want to have to make two sets this time around. Not sure what I'm going to do for skid plates yet.

Hodakaguy
  19. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Not a lot of time to work on the truck today, I did manage to finish up the passenger side rear suspension early this morning.

Passenger side all buttoned up except for the lower air bag mounts/cradles.

[​IMG]

The lower air bag mount is suppose to rest on the axle on the outer edge but with the thicker Dakar spring pack it hangs in the air 3/4" off the axle (bracket is sitting on backwards for picture). I will modify the lower brackets to get proper contact back before mounting.

[​IMG]

Going to place the sliders up onto the truck for a sneak peak....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well at this point my super squirrel powers took over and I jumped off the slider project and used the rest of my limited time to whip up a power brake bleeder. I'll use this bleeder when I install the new brake lines and re-install the calipers. These bleeders work really slick, way better than a vacuum bleeder and lets you easily bleed the system by yourself. The tank adds a bit of air pressure to the reservoir and when you open the bleeder it pushes the fluid out without having to pump the brakes, just need to check the fluid level in the reservoir often so you don't run low and push air into the system again. You can buy purpose built units but they are around $50 for the cheapest ones, I already had an extra small weed sprayer so I just needed a spare brake reservoir cap. My spare cap came in today so it's time to get it ready for the upcoming brake work.

New brake reservoir cap and brass fitting that will connect the cap to the weed sprayer.

[​IMG]

Hole drilled in the new cap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The brass fitting was threaded into the plastic cap with two part epoxy to ensure a tight seal. Cap is now ready to use.

[​IMG]

Ready to bleed some brakes! (I'll add a small pressure gauge on the tank body to monitor air pressure)

[​IMG]

More to come....

Hodakaguy
    wee-twin, Te Hopo and crk like this.
  20. Brainflex

Brainflex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put brake fluid in the weed sprayer and it will automatically top up the master cylinder.
    Hodakaguy likes this.